Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You were lucky. The Mexican I had in Europe was crap. One place in France tortilla's were like crepes. Creme Fraiche instead of sour cream.

Most places are calling it Mexican but it's actually pathetic attempt at Tex Mex. I don't ever recall seeing mole for instance.

Yes Italian food is popular almost everywhere. However that doesn't mean that EVERY Italian restaurant in Europe is good. Some of the worse Italian I ever ate was in Paris...the worst was in London. Ugh.

Even Italy, like anywhere, you have to know where to go. Avoiding tourist menus is the FIRST priority for me.
Did you mean to say something else here? Creme Fraiche is actually closer to Mexican Crema than Sour Cream. It is viewed as a much more acceptable and authentic substitute if Crema is not available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fair enough, but I will concede to the other side that there is a lot of "b-b-b-b-ut, we have that... too!" that comes from Canadians on here.
People need to get out more. With the way cities are diversifying now, pretty much everywhere has a version of everything. That doesn't mean its any good or an authentic representation of the real thing.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:57 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
People need to get out more. With the way cities are diversifying now, pretty much everywhere has a version of everything. That doesn't mean its any good or an authentic representation of the real thing.
In fairness, some of the sensitivity likely is caused by the impression (based in truth) that Canada doesn't get much global recognition, considering how good a country it is. Of course, part of this is the fault of Canadians. As I have said a million times on here.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
I am not so sure. I looked for a version of Tavuk göğsü in Toronto for long time in vain.

Toronto is incredibly diverse but it is still highly restricted by the number of immigrants from a specific cultural background, and the fact that native born Canadians tend to have a very restricted diet and are not very explorative in terms of food. At the end of the day, everyone still wants a fat burger with fries on the side

Old 04-16-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not so sure. I looked for a version of Tavuk göğsü in Toronto for long time in vain.

Toronto is incredibly diverse but it is still highly restricted by the number of immigrants from a specific cultural background, and the fact that native born Canadians tend to have a very restricted diet and are not very explorative in terms of food. At the end of the day, everyone still wants a fat burger with fries on the side
That is kind of the point I was making. You can easily find Turkish food in Toronto, but the menus are limited to the basics and the quality very up and down. There is one place I do like, but the menu is basic, but at least they do a good representation of what they serve.

This is exactly how it is across the board for many types of cuisine. You can have alot of something, but it doesn't necessarily mean its any good. If your exposure to a certain cuisine is outside of its home country, then chances are you really do not know how it is truly supposed to taste.

Re: Tavuk göğsü: Honestly that is a perfect example. If you go to a North American Turkish restaurant, you will basically get the standard deserts like Sütlaç, Baklava, Keşkül, Künefe, etc....even though the desert you are seeking is standard all around Turkey and also places in Germany.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 04-16-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-16-2017, 12:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fair enough, but I will concede to the other side that there is a lot of "b-b-b-b-ut, we have that... too!" that comes from Canadians on here.
The bottom line is the way we live in Canada and western society as a whole is not focussed enough on what is important in life. 10 minutes in Bangkok and you realize that very quickly

Old 04-16-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
That is kind of the point I was making. You can easily find Turkish food in Toronto, but the menus are limited to the basics and the quality very up and down. There is one place I do like, but the menu is basic, but at least they do a good representation of what they serve.

This is exactly how it is across the board for many types of cuisine. You can have alot of something, but it doesn't necessarily mean its any good. If your exposure to a certain cuisine is outside of its home country, then chances are you really do not know how it is truly supposed to taste.

Re: Tavuk göğsü: Honestly that is a perfect example. If you go to a North American Turkish restaurant, you will basically get the standard deserts like Sütlaç, Baklava, Keşkül, Künefe, etc....even though the desert you are seeking is standard all around Turkey and also places in Germany.
These are all fair points but the bottom line is its still good to have overall choice. Bangkok obviously has way better Thai food than Toronto - its not even close but the fact that having a taste of another culture even if its not the full monty is better than just having burgers and fries or peameal bacon sandwiches. You can even get all kinds of different food in Bangkok but obviously the best is Thai. I would never contend you can get a better Pizza in Bangkok than Italy, but for locals its great they have the variety because as amazing as Thai food is even they would get sick of monotony. I'm not going to blame the Thai for not having as varied selection or authentic a representation of Italian in Bangkok now am I!!??

I believe you yourself said in a post way back that if you like a variety of ethnic cuisine, T.O is a great place sooooo.......

Quote:
haha yeah Toronto's culinary scene isn't as diverse as Atlanta, Honolulu or Dallas - its about the same level.. My bad lol - I need to travel more to Dallas, Atlanta and Honolulu to prove to myself it has as many diverse culinary offerings as Toronto.. Does being in Bangkok and then Chiang Mai or the over 30 countries I've been to count at all lol..... Seriously though, as diverse as a lot of places are its hard to discount T.O diverse offerings as probably being on a higher level than most in N.A. I don't think this is a contentious thing to say at all and is probably factual. It doesn't mean you're going to get better or more variety of Turkish food in Toronto than Turkey but we can't live everywhere at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've ordered our SUPERCITYPROTECTOR outfits. Kind of like super hero outfits, but looser
Send em back lol... I can buy em cheaper here in Thailand

Last edited by fusion2; 04-16-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Oh sure blame it on the natives as usual lol... I think the time has long come and gone to the tune of about 50 percent of the population of Toronto not being born here that y'all start taking responsibility for how the city is. What are y'all gonna do in 20 years when its over 65 percent foreign born - blame the white minority lol... Not gonna let you or them off scott free with this anymore and I will remind you and them every single time you complain

As I said before - nothing stopping you from opening a bakery to your satisfaction in DT Toronto.. You can even BAN cupcakes Do it! Become part of the solution man. You're every bit Torontonian/Canadian as I am. When you point one finger at me there are three pointing right back at y'all here!

By the way - Shanghai airport -TOTAL DISASTER!! the worst connection experience of my life... Talk about mechanized constructs in a society. The rudest staff I've ever encountered at an airport. The agent working the transit booth was acting like a North Korean traffic officer and 59 RMB for an expresso wtf?? The only good thing was the Sunrise Duty Free - reasonable prices for goods otherwise I was surprised with Pudong. The facility itself is fine but they gotta do something about the staff and cost of a cup of coffee.

Quote:
You know what sells basically the SAME thing? Those 5 Timme Hortons' and 5 Starbucks that are within 5 minutes walking distance from where I used to live in Toronto (Yonge/Queen).
Have you been to Mexico City or Bangkok? In both there are no less than 5.5 billion 7/11's and Starbucks abound.. Even in Barcelona I was surprised how much Starbucks is penetrating the market there. This is far from being a Toronto thing Botti - I think you'll find quite a few Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts in Boston too!

Last edited by fusion2; 04-16-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 01:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Did you mean to say something else here? Creme Fraiche is actually closer to Mexican Crema than Sour Cream. It is viewed as a much more acceptable and authentic substitute if Crema is not available.
Mexican Crema is to my taste buds much,much more like sour cream, than Creme Fraiche. Any restaurant I've eaten in in Mexico, crema is much more sour than the almost tasteless Creme Fraiche.

However I will admit that they are pretty close, but I personally never substitute Mexican Crema with Creme Fraiche.

Overall, I think we can agree, that good Mexican may exist, but is very rare in Europe. It might be getting better, but I'm guessing it's lack of authentic ingredients that might be an issue?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:

Why would that be? I'm assuming most Turkish Restaurants were opened by Turkish immigrants, so why would they omit this if it's a standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada