Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I admit that they can be harsh but it could it also be that some Canadians are somewhat reluctant to admit that there are downsides to their country and cities?
To a certain degree I think we all have a tendency to be a bit defensive about home city or country. I think if Quebec or Montreal had people levelling certain things against them you'd also rightfully have people defending them and for good reasons. I typically defend Toronto and Canada (including Quebec) when I think the arguments put forth against them are unfair and unbalanced or simply ideas or observations I don't agree with.

I've also levelled criticism at Toronto and Canada in areas I think they are not up to par. You've seen that recently in the T.O forum where I've levelled criticism against the city for its conservative last call times (which is silly and dated) along with not allowing liquor to be sold at a corner store. You can buy a beer at a gas station in Buffalo but not Toronto. This is something we really need to look at if we want to brush off our conservative image. Yet in Buffalo you can't for the life of you find a gay or straight bathhouse like in T.O or street parties like Caribana or Pride. Its weird how we are so liberal in some ways but conservative in others. I want to shed all conservative lol. You don't have to go far in those threads to see other critiques as well but i'll praise it in ways I think it deserves. Thing is though, people tend to attach neat, tidy and simplistic labels to people. It is what it is even if it isn't accurate.

So yeah, if I think Toronto and Canada are being disproportionately criticized and for the wrong reasons than sure, i'll defend them. I just think you have a small group of individuals in here who will go over the top jabbing certain cities and the country so it becomes a sort of quid pro quo dynamic (which isn't healthy admittedly) but is natural.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-14-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 05:11 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
To a certain degree I think we all have a tendency to be a bit defensive about home city or country. I think if Quebec or Montreal had people levelling certain things against them you'd also rightfully have people defending them and for good reasons. I typically defend Toronto and Canada (including Quebec) when I think the arguments put forth against them are unfair and unbalanced or simply ideas or observations I don't agree with.

I've also levelled criticism at Toronto and Canada in areas I think they are not up to par. You've seen that recently in the T.O forum where I've levelled criticism against the city for its conservative last call times (which is silly and dated) along with not allowing liquor to be sold at a corner store. You can buy a beer at a gas station in Buffalo but not Toronto. This is something we really need to look at if we want to brush off our conservative image. Yet in Buffalo you can't for the life of you find a gay or straight bathhouse like in T.O or street parties like Caribana or Pride. Its weird how we are so liberal in some ways but conservative in others. I want to shed all conservative lol. You don't have to go far in those threads to see other critiques as well but i'll praise it in ways I think it deserves. Thing is though, people tend to attach neat, tidy and simplistic labels to people. It is what it is even if it isn't accurate.

So yeah, if I think Toronto and Canada are being disproportionately criticized and for the wrong reasons than sure, i'll defend them. I just think you have a small group of individuals in here who will go over the top jabbing certain cities and the country so it becomes a sort of quid pro quo dynamic (which isn't healthy admittedly) but is natural.
Fair enough, but I will concede to the other side that there is a lot of "b-b-b-b-ut, we have that... too!" that comes from Canadians on here.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nah I just mean in general and it was more an inside joke between Nat and I. I've found in C/D in general, English Canada takes a hit more than other places in N.A and a lot of the reasons are silly and petty. If it wasn't for a handful of posters in here, Toronto and Vancouver would get barrel rolled over, which is generally surprising because both cities normally are quite well liked and are actually heavily visited as visitor stats bear out. Or maybe that is the reason we are getting barrel rolled - the handful of us posting there are people who like to press buttons lol - haven't ruled that out either. Its a small groups of posters in the Canada forum and you don't really know who is posting and why.
I've ordered our SUPERCITYPROTECTOR outfits. Kind of like super hero outfits, but looser

Old 04-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fair enough, but I will concede to the other side that there is a lot of "b-b-b-b-ut, we have that... too!" that comes from Canadians on here.
Because?

I find it's usually not Canadians starting those conversations. We are usually responding to viewpoints that don't take into consideration, either intentionally or out of ignorance, Canada's realities.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

What I find frustrating about Europe is that after a while, you get tired of the same thing in bakery after bakery for the most part, by country. What good is having 5 bakeries near you that sell basically the SAME thing?

Nat, that's a pretty desperate even for you.

No, those 5 bakeries do not sell the same thing. They do offer some popular stuff in common, such as elaire or Mille Feuille, but usually each has some of their own specialties others don't. Also, even for a simple pie, they might taste different in different stores because those pastries are not chains in most cases (some such as Paul are, but most are independent).

You know what sells basically the SAME thing? Those 5 Timme Hortons' and 5 Starbucks that are within 5 minutes walking distance from where I used to live in Toronto (Yonge/Queen).

Old 04-15-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Because?

I find it's usually not Canadians starting those conversations. We are usually responding to viewpoints that don't take into consideration, either intentionally or out of ignorance, Canada's realities.
Come on. The problem is you both just can't accept anything others say about Canada that is not as good (unless it is Harper).

I don't have all good things to say about France or Europe either. For example, dryers are so damn rare that I have to air dry all my clothes in my livingroom. Many of clothes start to get out of shape. There are 10 spots of dog crap within a stretch of 200 meters from my apartment and nobody seems to care. In the Chinese grocery market, even basic stuff such as bakchoy or frozen dumplings are 2-3 times the price of what I used to pay in Toronto. And every sunday the entire city looks like a ghost town because every shop is closed.

There.

Yet you can't even accept the simple fact that bakeries in Canada are simply not as good and plenty as those in France and Italy. Just boggles my mind and you still claim to be impartial.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Nat, that's a pretty desperate even for you.

No, those 5 bakeries do not sell the same thing. They do offer some popular stuff in common, such as elaire or Mille Feuille, but usually each has some of their own specialties others don't. Also, even for a simple pie, they might taste different in different stores because those pastries are not chains in most cases (some such as Paul are, but most are independent).

You know what sells basically the SAME thing? Those 5 Timme Hortons' and 5 Starbucks that are within 5 minutes walking distance from where I used to live in Toronto (Yonge/Queen).
Chains are chains, whether it's a Hyper Marche, or a Timmie's.

I don't consider doughnut shops true bakeries, since most are sit down and serve other things.

The slight different offerings in various boulangeries, is that, slight. Some different parts of France do have their own specialties etc, but after a while the common theme is their, like anywhere.

Now, I'm NOT saying that bakeries in France are bad, far from it, and their is a an expectation of what they sell across the country.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Come on. The problem is you both just can't accept anything others say about Canada that is not as good (unless it is Harper).

I don't have all good things to say about France or Europe either. For example, dryers are so damn rare that I have to air dry all my clothes in my livingroom. Many of clothes start to get out of shape. There are 10 spots of dog crap within a stretch of 200 meters from my apartment and nobody seems to care. In the Chinese grocery market, even basic stuff such as bakchoy or frozen dumplings are 2-3 times the price of what I used to pay in Toronto. And every sunday the entire city looks like a ghost town because every shop is closed.

There.

Yet you can't even accept the simple fact that bakeries in Canada are simply not as good and plenty as those in France and Italy. Just boggles my mind and you still claim to be impartial.
Not true. I accept criticisms about Canada and Vancouver, when they are based in fact. Saturno stating that it's difficult to find good food in Vancouver for instance, is ridiculous, or you calling it a fishing village.

Or people who really don't know both places well and think Seattle and Vancouver's downtowns are the same, when they couldn't be more different.

You should move. A modern French apartment usually has a machine that is a washer and dryer in one.

I love France and all it's quirkiness. I couldn't live there full time, but it's a wonderful place to visit.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:34 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Sad to say it, but Canadians do do stuff like this:

"We say these things aloud, at parties, and in groups of people from everywhere. You see guys from Amsterdam kind of eyeing the exits, girls from Tokyo wondering when the conversation is going to get fun again, couples from New York awaiting the inevitable polite exception: "well, New York isn't really America..." You see girls who had joined the group to escape poorly-crafted Albanian come-ons ("Is for now... not for marry...") filter back to their would-be suitors. Everything kind of dies.
And when the lights go on, and they're handing out coats, there's still some guy from Calgary talking about how we're the third-largest supplier of potassium in the world.

SIDE NOTE: I once witnessed a guy from Brampton, Ontario, in a New York City hotel bar, actually go and get his laptop from the room in order to show a bunch of dudes from Texas that not only do we have Taco Bell in Canada, but that we actually have a ****load of them. You know, using Google Maps. So there."

The Ugly Canadian Mindset*|*VICE

Old 04-16-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:

You should move. A modern French apartment usually has a machine that is a washer and dryer in one.
Yes, but I am a renter. Landlords in France are very stingy - they don't invest ANYTHING. I visited many apartments which don't even have ovens or friges because it is not required by law, and therefore the majority of landlords don't have them. Washing machine is usually not available either. I have one because I bought it from the previous tenant. I bought the ovens/friges from her too.

Before you ask why I don't rent a nicer furnished apartment, I wanted too, but the majority of French landlords require a cosigner of the lease, who has to be French and meet certain income requirement. I knew absolutely nobody here, which is why I struggled for weeks just to be lucky enough to find a long term apartment to rent without the need for a cosigner. Don't have the luxury to care about dryers, do I.

I could move to a modern apartment, but would you be my lease guarantor?

I would definitely buy a washer/dryer combo (for about $1000) mysef if I lived here long term, but unfortunately I am not. It is probably not worth the investment. There is a laundry mat nearby where I can dry clothes for 2 euros. I think it is more sensible than buying a $1000 Lave linge sechant

Quote:
Not true. I accept criticisms about Canada and Vancouver, when they are based in fact. Saturno stating that it's difficult to find good food in Vancouver for instance, is ridiculous, or you calling it a fishing village.
I am not an expert in Vancouver's food scene, but the Chinese food is one of the best in the world outside East Asia.

For the record I never called Vancouver a fishing village (that titles belongs to Halifax or Victoria). All I said is Vancouver is not a BIG city and is a bit too quiet for my liking. But many people do not like big cities and it works perfect for many such as yourself, and that's great. I just wish Vancouver's downtown had more people and were more vibrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada