Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,306,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Stop lumping Vancouver into Seattle.

Vancouver usually makes the list of best " Chinese " cuisine in NA, Seattle? LA, NYC, Toronto etc.

Your friends should get out more.
Well some of the Chinese (not personal friends) that suggested me only 2 places in Vancouver for good Asian food are quite the jet setter (good for them) and probably dined in the best places in the world...they live in West Van

I do not doubt Asian food in Van are overall better than Seattle (my Dim Sum experience in Van was better than Seattle).....as for other cuisine the food scene is similar and for Italian food I would say Seattle recently has the edge.

As for the "best" whatever ranking ....you know what I think about these things....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Antons? You're kidding. We call those type of places Pasta Troughs. I've even accidentally went to a Pasta Trough in Paris.

I much prefer places like this

Tavola Restaurant | Italian Restaurant in the West End of Vancouver
All I was saying is that anywhere in Europe Anton would have closed after one week (and even in some North American cities)...I'm surprised he can find one person still willing to eat there....the fact that these places exist and stay in business says a lot about food quality tolerance of the general population....

Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Well some of the Chinese (not personal friends) that suggested me only 2 places in Vancouver for good Asian food are quite the jet setter (good for them) and probably dined in the best places in the world...they live in West Van

I do not doubt Asian food in Van are overall better than Seattle (my Dim Sum experience in Van was better than Seattle).....as for other cuisine the food scene is similar and for Italian food I would say Seattle recently has the edge.

As for the "best" whatever ranking ....you know what I think about these things....
Actually Richmond is the hot bed for the best Chinese food.

I personally know a lot of Chinese. Some from Taiwan, Hong Kong etc. Some who are Chinese ancestry but from South Africa and of course the ones born here.

All travel the world including all over Asia. They don't complain about the offerings here. They in fact, praise it.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Actually Richmond is the hot bed for the best Chinese food.
Yep, had great Dim Sum in Richmond....

Old 04-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
All I was saying is that anywhere in Europe Anton would have closed after one week (and even in some North American cities)...I'm surprised he can find one person still willing to eat there....the fact that these places exist and stay in business says a lot about food quality tolerance of the general population....
Nah, not anywhere in Europe. Italy yes.

Not everyone understands what a cuisine SHOULD be like and don't know any better? I had to educate Dutch friends on what Japanese and especially the various regional Chinese cuisines are like, compared to the stuff they get in The Netherlands.

Why do Mexican places survive in Europe? Certainly not by the people who know what Mexican should be like, but by locals who THINK they are eating Mexican.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-13-2017 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Nah, not anywhere in Europe. Italy yes.
Italian food are very popular in Europe....and Anton is particularly bad...I do not think he would survive in NYC or Chicago either....

Quote:
Why do Mexican places survive in Europe. Certainly not by the people who know what Mexican should be like, but by locals who THINK they are eating Mexican.

I think I had Mexican food only twice in Europe (Span and Italy) and frankly it was not that worse than Mexican food generally served here in North America. Border states obviously have generally better Mexican food compared to the rest of the country.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Italian food are very popular in Europe....and Anton is particularly bad...I do not think he would survive in NYC or Chicago either....

I think I had Mexican food only twice in Europe (Span and Italy) and frankly it was not that worse than Mexican food generally served here in North America. Border states obviously have generally better Mexican food compared to the rest of the country.
You were lucky. The Mexican I had in Europe was crap. One place in France tortilla's were like crepes. Creme Fraiche instead of sour cream.

Most places are calling it Mexican but it's actually pathetic attempt at Tex Mex. I don't ever recall seeing mole for instance.

Yes Italian food is popular almost everywhere. However that doesn't mean that EVERY Italian restaurant in Europe is good. Some of the worse Italian I ever ate was in Paris...the worst was in London. Ugh.

Even Italy, like anywhere, you have to know where to go. Avoiding tourist menus is the FIRST priority for me.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:04 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Exactly with some if it is English Canada = very bad lol.. I think its a default button they push..
I never knew Saturno had taken sides in this and was pro-Quebec...

Old 04-14-2017, 08:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I never knew Saturno had taken sides in this and was pro-Quebec...
Nah I just mean in general and it was more an inside joke between Nat and I. I've found in C/D in general, English Canada takes a hit more than other places in N.A and a lot of the reasons are silly and petty. If it wasn't for a handful of posters in here, Toronto and Vancouver would get barrel rolled over, which is generally surprising because both cities normally are quite well liked and are actually heavily visited as visitor stats bear out. Or maybe that is the reason we are getting barrel rolled - the handful of us posting there are people who like to press buttons lol - haven't ruled that out either. Its a small groups of posters in the Canada forum and you don't really know who is posting and why.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nah I just mean in general and it was more an inside joke between Nat and I. I've found in C/D in general, English Canada takes a hit more than other places in N.A and a lot of the reasons are silly and petty. If it wasn't for a handful of posters in here, Toronto and Vancouver would get barrel rolled over, which is generally surprising because both cities normally are quite well liked and are actually heavily visited as visitor stats bear out. Or maybe that is the reason we are getting barrel rolled - the handful of us posting there are people who like to press buttons lol - haven't ruled that out either. Its a small groups of posters in the Canada forum and you don't really know who is posting and why.
I admit that they can be harsh but it could it also be that some Canadians are somewhat reluctant to admit that there are downsides to their country and cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada