Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 10:24 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You still haven't convinced me that your form of Libertarianism isn't much different, or IMMUNE to the failings of the current system. Efficiencies can be made in government in it's current form. Having a smaller government doesn't protect it from growing. In time it will, humans being humans.
It would do a much better job at preventing certain failures of the human nature to degenerate, especially thanks to a non fraudulent financial system.
You cannot change human nature but you can keep things in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
some people don't get it: backwardedness in the US is almost always associated with the stupid "Jesus stuff". If the Jesus nutjobs were all gone, the country would be a much better place.
You're radical even for a Canadian.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Look what happened BC yesterday.
That was what specifically triggered my response. Imagine the horror if any state were to change it's leadership from one of the two available colours without some kind of electoral process taking a month or more to accomplish with all the attendant bullroar that goes with it.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:45 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That was what specifically triggered my response. Imagine the horror if any state were to change it's leadership from one of the two available colours without some kind of electoral process taking a month or more to accomplish with all the attendant bullroar that goes with it.
People did not want another election since we just had one. It was seen as a waste of money.

Even BC Liberals ( note to those unaware, the BC Liberals are NOT part of the Federal Liberal Party and are more akin to Conservatives fiscally, not socially ) had a low opinion of Christy Clark. She basically stole the NDP platform for her throne speech. Everyone, even her allies were uncomfortable with that turn around. It made her look petty and desperate.

My conservative friends were glad to see her go. Some not happy with an NDP/Green government....but...it's hard to say, but I think even they are glad for a change after 16 years. It could be them just wanting them to fail, but given the choices, I can't help but feel they think, why not give this change a chance.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:46 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
yesterday evening I listened to an old yuppie ***** with unpleasant twisted lips say in a talk show : "the ideal democracy is to have one center left progressive party and one center right progressive party, like CND" . A great "democrat " indeed that lady....
C'était qui?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You're radical even for a Canadian.
That's not considered radical in Canada, it's considered common sense. We don't want Jesus in our politics, anymore than we want Mohammed etc.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:02 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Not having term limits has not prevented the growing of huge and corrupt bureaucracies...at all.
In a way, term limits would "force" corruption (on the part of the politicians) to bubble more on the surface making it more visible and easier to fight. But, your are right, you cannot change human nature....it may help but not be the ultimate solution.
Maybe....I guess the USA would been even more corrupt....if that's possible...
with all those highly paid lobbists on Capital Hill pulling the strings...

Progressive

Well ...how about that Canada has had modern "chip" credit cards for years
and the US is still hanging onto those old magnetic strip credit cards ...
old 60s technology ...easy prey for the fraudsters....

Old 06-30-2017, 08:27 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
some people don't get it: backwardedness in the US is almost always associated with the stupid "Jesus stuff". If the Jesus nutjobs were all gone, the country would be a much better place.
Bless your heart.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
U.S. = racist, crumbling infrastructure, greed, failing schools, corrupt corporations/banks, shallowness as a value: just basically dumb.

Canadians are more thoughtful and aware. No idea why - probably their heritage and watching U.S. making an ass of itself, time and time again.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:24 PM

18 posts, read 27,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
U.S. = racist, crumbling infrastructure, greed, failing schools, corrupt corporations/banks, shallowness as a value: just basically dumb.

Canadians are more thoughtful and aware. No idea why - probably their heritage and watching U.S. making an ass of itself, time and time again.

Have you ever even been to the US? All I can say is... that doesn't remotely resemble ANYTHING about the country I live in. Thanks for your great example of Canadian tolerance and politeness!

Last edited by citiesexpert456; 07-01-2017 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada