Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yeah, solid indoor heating becomes a selling point for a city in a first world country

For example, Porto's January low (10C) is as high as as Calgary's July low. So I guess Portugal is fine without a lot of heating. Don't you think? If heating is so indispensable for Portugal, then Calgary needs heating all year round.
Edmonton's July low is 12°
Anyway, just a couple of days ago we had -3° here in my beach town. Houses are made for the summer, there is no central heating. I felt so cold and I know that a lot of people wear their winter jackets indoors.
I never had that situation in Germany, even when it was -25°.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I didn't know that. Why does black peoples' skin need more intense sunshine?

First time I have heard of this as well.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I didn't know that. Why does black peoples' skin need more intense sunshine?

It's because dark skin blocks a lot more UV light, which the skin needs for making Vitamin D, without which one can get seriously ill.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
First time I have heard of this as well.
Hey, I didn't make that up. I stumbled upon it repeatedly when investigating my own vitamin D situation recently.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Hey, I didn't make that up. I stumbled upon it repeatedly when investigating my own vitamin D situation recently.
It wasn't a slag and I didn't say you were making it up. But I honestly have never heard this before.

My next-door neighbours for the past 10-15 years are West African (both parents born there, kids born here) and it's never been mentioned in all the times we've had drinks together.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:42 AM

They explain it here, it probably applies even more to Canada than the US...
Vitamin D and African Americans

Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Anyway, just a couple of days ago we had -3° here in my beach town. Houses are made for the summer, there is no central heating. I felt so cold and I know that a lot of people wear their winter jackets indoors.
well, it is the middle of Dec, what do you expect.

Also think about this: Porto for example is at the same latitude as Boston or Chicago, but doesn't have any of those bitingly cold -15C days or snowstorms of 1 meter.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:53 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
They explain it here, it probably applies even more to Canada than the US...
Vitamin D and African Americans
I think all groups of people have areas of health concerns that are specific to their gender or race but I don't think I have ever seen it mentioned so arbitrarily as something that affects where a person lives. I also have a vitamin D insufficiency in spite of being outdoors a lot and I am as white as snow. Of course my going theory this winter is that my parents kidnapped me from a tropical island.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:54 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
I was never warm in Germany, not even in the summer.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:56 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
We'll avoid the fact that the comment in general is racist as f, and believe that it's a Portuguese to English translation issue, and point out that black people need no more or less sunshine than any person of any other color.

It's like saying Portuguese people need more salted fish and aged wine because they're not as bright as Spanish people. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
Quote:
It's because dark skin blocks a lot more UV light, which the skin needs for making Vitamin D, without which one can get seriously ill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It wasn't a slag and I didn't say you were making it up. But I honestly have never heard this before.

My next-door neighbours for the past 10-15 years are West African (both parents born there, kids born here) and it's never been mentioned in all the times we've had drinks together.
It's not racist, Neuling is right. Vitamin D deficiency is a concern for all people in the northern hemisphere regardless of race but people with darker skin are at a higher risk for vitamin D deficiency because the melanin block more UV rays. However in today society where foods are fortified with vitamin D and vitamin D supplementation widely available, darker skin individuals (even though not meeting the optimal levels of vitamin D) are not getting seriously ill like people did say 100 years ago. For example Rickets was common among African-American until milk was fortified with milk in the mid 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada