Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, that was not long after East Germany ceased to exist. Naturally buildings there were still on the Soviet level.
In West Germany homes usually have central heating, which is in all rooms. There is only a certain percentage of homes left that still rely on more "adventurous" heating systems. Those homes (often overpriced student apartments in old buildings) may still have small water heaters under the sink. When they are switched off, naturally you only get cold water.

Were you in Rostock or some place close to the Sea? There summer temps are a bit lower, but not much.
No, I wasn't in Rostock. I don't really want to say on the Internet. My husband was professor there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No, those cold rooms were in western Germany in old rich houses.
What do you mean by rich houses? Rich people certainly won't sit in cold rooms, not today, not 25 years ago. I lived in all corners of Germany decades ago, I never encountered cold rooms in the winter. Can't speak of East Germany, though, never been there myself.

If you were from Brazil, I would understand as Brazilians simply have a different definition of warm. So, what is a perfectly normal temperature for Germans, might seem freezing to Brazilians.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Every time I see this thread title I keep seeing "Why is Canada A Little Bong". This likely says far more about me than I'm prepared to acknowledge, especially considering I don't "partake".

Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Every time I see this thread title I keep seeing "Why is Canada A Little Bong". This likely says far more about me than I'm prepared to acknowledge, especially considering I don't "partake".

LOL. Cracked me up.

Maybe we should ask a mod to change the title to "Why is Canada a Little Bong?"

Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
To Europeans both Canada and the US often seem a bit boring as there are so many cars and so few people on the streets. Not to mention North American suburbs where everyone wants to live, while over here people like to live in the city center.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:58 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
23C is indeed very pleasant, especially with sunshine. However that depends on how many hours it stays 23C. Jugding by the average low of 10C, it is not many hours.

San Diego also has an average high of 23-24 in July, but the difference is that the low is 18-19. Quite a difference.

Exactly......peak daily temperature does not matter much, what it counts are the daily temperature bands. I rather have a peak of 25 and a minimum of 18 than a peak of 30 and a minimum of 10....

For example, here in the Northwest, often even in the middle of the summer, evening temperatures can still be chilly and you need a jacket.

By the way, 23 is still not a very nice temperature for summer....

Old 12-11-2017, 02:00 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Of course you scorn Canada.........regularly. Take note; are you on any of the other country's boards whose cities were rated higher than Lyon?...Howcum Canada gets singled out for your special attention?

You've got me confused with someone who cares whether Vancouver is more liveable than Lyon. I don't, nor do the bulk of Canadians. They're content regardless of The Economist rankings. .
Well... (Not really related to The Economist rankings, but still indicative of a certain mindset.)

Old 12-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Still, the temperature boosts those winds bring are already included in the temperature statistics, and yet Calgary is only slightly milder than Edmonton in the winter.
Maybe it's because Calgary's elevation is higher, 3400 ft vs 2100 ft, which might undo most of the Chinook bonus.
Those winds as such can cause various problems, so I would rather do without them, anyway.

...debating if winter is better in Calgary rather than Edmonton is like debating if is better getting hanged rather than getting shot....it sucks either way...

Old 12-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Then I don't understand why you're always on the Canada forum. What's the purpose?
....because I'm Canadian, I lived in Canada and I do not need to desire to live somewhere to have an opinion....

Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Despite LA's myriads of problems, it is still a far more attractive city to live than Calgary, and weather is hardly the most important reason.

Oh I agree totally....the weather is not even the #1 reason why is preferable to live in LA rather than Calgary.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada