Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:34 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Those Galley Diner prices are reasonable and they're more like the prices I find in diners in smaller Canadian towns.

The prices shown for that Joe's restaurant are ridiculous.

Joe’s you are paying for the atmosphere and location, the food is garbage. Similar to one of the traps in any major city in the US or Canada.

But Gallery is good value and located in what is considered one of America’s most expensive cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:40 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
So with some employers you have paid nothing and now you pay 100 dollars per month? It seems like HC costs for an employee in the U.S is highly variable - some get off lucky others don't. It also is highly dependant on an employer footing the bill. If you lost your job tomorrow and had no private insurance what would happen with your healthcare needs?
It is highly variable and what happens after you lose your job varies greatly from state to state.

You can see why the US would be attractive to professionals with excellent health plans though. I personally miss the HC structure I had back in the US. But of course I was gainfully employed and resided in a state with a strong universal healthcare law. So as with anything YMMV.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:42 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
It is highly variable and what happens after you lose your job varies greatly from state to state.

You can see why the US would be attractive to professionals with excellent health plans though. I personally miss the HC structure I had back in the US. But of course I was gainfully employed and resided in a state with a strong universal healthcare law. So as with anything YMMV.
Oh yeah I can definitely see why say paying 100 bucks a month in pvt insurance taking care of your healthcare needs is very reasonable and attractive, all the more so if you make good coin. That said, the employer is having to pay a pretty penny per head for premiums like that I would imagine. The concern I have and this is probably predictable is the uncertainty and variability person to person, State to State. Everything is good as long as they don't jack up your premiums left, right and centre or you don't get canned. That doesn't speak to the people who work and don't get this or they have to pay out the yin yang even though they make crap coin - gotta suck for them.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I don’t personally find either of them overly expensive, but Beauty’s is an old school neighbourhood luncheonette, Joe’s is a tourist trap on one of the most expensive streets in Boston. Two completely different places.

Comparable would be a place like Gallery Diner in South Boston. Ironically enough Anthony Bourdain visited both Gallery and Beauty’s and loved them both.

Homemade Breakfast, Lunch in Southie | Galley Diner
Yes that is probably a better match, but just looking at the menu's, and interior shots, the Galley looks more like a dive type, where Beauty seems to be on the cusp of being a dive LOL

Here's one in Vancouver. Great food, some that you wouldn't expect in a " diner " and good prices.

Like these

Con Queso Eggs – sliced tomatoes, stewed peppers, cheesy sauce, avocado 13.96
N.Y. Steak – peppercorn sauce 15.95
Pork Loin – mushroom sauce 15.95
Duck Confit Grilled Cheese Sandwich n’ Soup 13.95
Louisiana Seafood Pasta – chorizo, garlic toast 14.95
Ling Cod n’ Prawns – saffron cream 15.95
Sockeye Salmon – preserved lemon, capers, olive oil 15.95

http://www.argocafe.ca

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-27-2018 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
No longer the case, nowadays you can get very good education online at low prices in the US.
...not exactly the same thing.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:05 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Maybe because you don't have a household full of children?

It's really not uncommon with families who have a whole passel of kids. I often see families taking home all the leftovers that the parents and kids didn't finish in a restaurant, especially if it's any kind of Asian restaurant (which we have so many of here). It's a treat for the kiddies too, they look forward to it for a snack later. I don't have kids at home anymore but I still usually have to take extras home for myself because most Asian restaurants here serve large amounts of everything, there's no way I can finish everything at one sitting. (A single small size serving of war wonton soup alone could easily serve as a full meal for 3 of me.) And Asian foods are always still tasty and easy to reheat for a snack or a meal the next day.

Maybe it's the type of restaurant. I very rarely go to Asian restaurants but I can see why people might take food home from them. I can't see that happening often in a non-Asian restaurant but I've never thought about it or specifically looked for that. I just think that if it happened, I'd be aware of it on some level.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:13 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That's been my experience but what are you supposed to do with all that extra food? It always seemed like a terrible waste to me and generally I don't like to take food home from a place.
What, you don't like taking a doggie bag? I'll ask for one in a heartbeat. You are still taking the food home with you in some form anyway.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...not exactly the same thing.
If you get it from a reputable university is pretty much the same thing....I'm not talking diploma mills like the University of Phoenix and similar... nowadays even universities of the caliber of Carnegie Mellon offer online programs.

You can get an MBA from a reputable school for as little as 15K.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-27-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 05:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes that is probably a better match, but just looking at the menu's, and interior shots, the Galley looks more like a dive type, where Beauty seems to be on the cusp of being a dive LOL

Here's one in Vancouver. Great food, some that you wouldn't expect in a " diner " and good prices.

Like these

Con Queso Eggs – sliced tomatoes, stewed peppers, cheesy sauce, avocado 13.96
N.Y. Steak – peppercorn sauce 15.95
Pork Loin – mushroom sauce 15.95
Duck Confit Grilled Cheese Sandwich n’ Soup 13.95
Louisiana Seafood Pasta – chorizo, garlic toast 14.95
Ling Cod n’ Prawns – saffron cream 15.95
Sockeye Salmon – preserved lemon, capers, olive oil 15.95

Argo Cafe

Yes!

'Downtown food, at East Van prices.' .... says it all. Nat, the hubby and I used to enjoy going to the Argo Cafe for their Saturday brunches from time to time. Good coffee, really good food and interesting selections like you'd expect from a more ritzy place downtown, and reasonable prices.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yes!

'Downtown food, at East Van prices.' .... says it all. Nat, the hubby and I used to enjoy going to the Argo Cafe for their Saturday brunches from time to time. Good coffee, really good food and interesting selections like you'd expect from a more ritzy place downtown, and reasonable prices.

Yes it's a good place. Just hope it lasts. The whole area is changing. Lot's of smaller businesses will be under threat as the condo's spread southward as they already have from Olympic Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada