Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
If you get it from a reputable university is pretty much the same thing....I'm not talking diploma mills like the University of Phoenix and similar... nowadays even universities of the caliber of Carnegie Mellon offer online programs.

You can get an MBA from a reputable school for as little as 15K.....

You are comparing a different " product " than the one talked about here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:54 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
What, you don't like taking a doggie bag? I'll ask for one in a heartbeat. You are still taking the food home with you in some form anyway.
No, I don't! Even fish don't eat every piece of bait they see.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are comparing a different " product " than the one talked about here.
I'm not...I'm talking about good education, period, it does not matter how you get it. Education cost collaped in the US thanks to the online choices.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
I'm not...I'm talking about good education, period, it does not matter how you get it. Education cost collaped in the US thanks to the online choices.
Uummmmmmmmmm ..... yes and no.

I think it's fantastic that people can get a good and affordable education online and I'm all for it. I can't say enough about how important I think it is for everyone to get a good education. I sincerely hope that many more under-privileged people in USA will now be able to avail themselves of it if they can do it online. In that sense it does not matter how they get it as long as they get it and I wish all the more power to them.

But I also think that an online education is still not the same quality as an educational facility where students and faculty are actually interacting and conversing and learning together face to face. Where you can ask a question and get an immediate and well informed answer. It's not just about being educated about certain subjects that the student's registered for, it's also about being educated in work, social and life skills that aren't learned in elementary and high school and cannot be learned online. If anything, trying to learn those skills online is detrimental, it's the opposite of what a campus would be like. Online people learn much, much WORSE social skills and virtually no helpful life skills online than they do in any kind of setting in real life, whether they're getting a scholastic education or not.

So, an online education is great, but a real college or university setting with human contact and interaction is still better and more well rounded. Being with other people is a very important part of the education. It's more real.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Uummmmmmmmmm ..... yes and no.

I think it's fantastic that people can get a good and affordable education online and I'm all for it. I can't say enough about how important I think it is for everyone to get a good education. I sincerely hope that many more under-privileged people in USA will now be able to avail themselves of it if they can do it online. In that sense it does not matter how they get it as long as they get it and I wish all the more power to them.

But I also think that an online education is still not the same quality as an educational facility where students and faculty are actually interacting and conversing and learning together face to face. Where you can ask a question and get an immediate and well informed answer. It's not just about being educated about certain subjects that the student's registered for, it's also about being educated in work, social and life skills that aren't learned in elementary and high school and cannot be learned online. If anything, trying to learn those skills online is detrimental, it's the opposite of what a campus would be like. Online people learn much, much WORSE social skills and virtually no helpful life skills online than they do in any kind of setting in real life, whether they're getting a scholastic education or not.

So, an online education is great, but a real college or university setting with human contact and interaction is still better and more well rounded. Being with other people is a very important part of the education. It's more real.

Also a lot of employers don't look at online degrees in the same way and it depends on the degree. It's better than it used to be, but like I said, he is comparing two different products.

In the context of this thread, Education is cheaper in Canada.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Also a lot of employers don't look at online degrees in the same way and it depends on the degree. It's better than it used to be, but like I said, he is comparing two different products.
Absolutely wrong.....if you get an online degree, let's say from the University of Washington or UCLA or Carnegie Mellon, it is a full degree from these institutions. You do not even have to mention that you graduated online in your resume.

Again, you are confusing degrees from diploma mills with degrees from reputable institutions.

An MBA from the University of Phoenix is not worth the paper is written on, an online MBA from UW carries exactly the same weight (better say, it is identical) of a traditional "in classroom" degree from the same institution.

Furthermore, there are so many ways to lower your tuition costs (scholarships is one of them) if you want to attend a traditional degree program.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-29-2018 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

You are right up to a point.....first of all, many online degrees still require a certain amount of interaction (you have to be physically present in some cases to take exams, you can have interaction sessions with your professors/tutors and fellow students, etc..)
You can always go "hybrid" meaning taking certain coursework online and others "in presence" within the degree program of your choosing.

You are definitely right that, especially for some graduate programs (in particular finance and business), there is a lot of value in building a network of contacts that can be helpful down the road in your career (this, for example, is one of the most important aspects of the allure of Ivy League institutions that justify their high costs) but, again, these disadvantages can be partially mitigated with the "in presence" sessions that you can schedule as part of your online program.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Absolutely wrong.....if you get an online degree, let's say from the University of Washington or UCLA or Carnegie Mellon, it is a full degree from these institutions. You do not even have to mention that you graduated online in your resume.

Again, you are confusing degrees from diploma mills with degrees from reputable institutions.

An MBA from the University of Phoenix is not worth the paper is written on, an online MBA from UW carries exactly the same weight (better say, it is identical) of a traditional "in classroom" degree from the same institution.

Furthermore, there are so many ways to lower your tuition costs (scholarships is one of them) if you want to attend a traditional degree program.
I'm not confusing anything. I am talking about how employers look at applicants and how they got their degree.
As I said, they are more " accepted " now than a few years back but as Zoiste points out employers may question an applicant interpersonal skills. Employers often want leaders, and proving those skills if you've only gotten your degrees online, may be difficult, or at the very least put you behind another applicant.

That is why I'm saying it's not exactly the same type of education.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not confusing anything. I am talking about how employers look at applicants and how they got their degree.
As I said, they are more " accepted " now than a few years back but as Zoiste points out employers may question an applicant interpersonal skills. Employers often want leaders, and proving those skills if you've only gotten your degrees online, may be difficult, or at the very least put you behind another applicant.

That is why I'm saying it's not exactly the same type of education.

Online education is now fully accepted and you do not provide leadership skills just because you pursued a traditional degree rather than online. Employers look for interdisciplinary activities and interests, what you have done (or doing) outside of school, volunteering, etc...someone that got his/her degree online is no penalized whatsoever....I admit it may be different in Canada (as you know, I left 16 years ago) but not here.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:12 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
*** UPDATE ***

My post #12 talked about the high price for GENERIC drugs in Canada and linked to an article about advantages of a switch to public tendering. Announced today:

Generic drug industry agrees to cut prices up to 40% in 5-year deal with provinces - Health - CBC News

Quote:
The pan-Canadian Pharmaceutical Alliance made the announcement on Monday on behalf of participating federal, provincial, and territorial public drug plans and the Canadian Generic Pharmaceutical Association.

"As of April 1, 2018, the prices of nearly 70 of the most commonly prescribed drugs in Canada will be reduced by 25 per cent to 40 per cent, resulting in overall discounts of up to 90 per cent off the price of their brand-name equivalents," the groups said in a statement.
Quote:
More than 70 per cent of all prescriptions reimbursed under Canada's public drug plans are generic drugs, the alliance said. These include medications used to treat high blood pressure, high cholesterol and depression that are collectively used by millions of Canadians.

Under the new agreement, provincial and territorial governments agreed not to pursue tendering for participating drug plans over the five-year term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada