Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Saibot didn't say 30 guns per 30 citizens. It was 30 guns per 100 citizens and that is not a false statistic.

If you think you don't know anyone in Canada who owns guns it's simply because some of the gun owners you do know are being discreet and sensible, and they abide by Canada's law of keeping firearms locked up out of sight. It's nobody else's business and they don't go blabbing to everyone they know about the guns they own. If they aren't telling you about their guns then they have their own good reasons for not telling you. That's the way it should be.

Thank you Zoisite...some people do not think logically.....I almost never saw a firearm in the US that is was not either

1 - Mine

2 - At a gun range or from someone I was specifically buy a gun from or from few good friends that are into firearms whom I trust (and they trust me) showing collection at home

4 - Law Enforcement officers

4 - At gun stores or gun shows

The only exception was a couple of open carriers in cowboy boots in Arizona.

You simply do not know if people physically close to you have firearms.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-21-2018 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Being called emotional by an Italian...not sure if I should feel flattered or insulted.
It was neither intended as an insult or a flattering comment...simply an observation...

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-21-2018 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Haha!

I was living in Connecticut when that horror took place at Sandy Hook, so I'm not sure if I'm especially sensitive to it, more than I'd be otherwise. (Maybe not, though -- he killed babies... in their school. That's an obscene level of horror.)

I really thought that legislature would be embraced after that. Babies! In their school! And then it wasn't. Imagine how the parents of those babies felt. Not that it would bring their children back, no, but at least it wouldn't feel so dismissive of the tragedy and their loss. And possibly mitigate another similar horror. But no...

Sandy Hook was "special" for two reasons.

1) It was particularly horrific given the especially young age of most of the victims.

2) It was absolutely non preventable no matter the laws you had in place short of outright banning of all firearms. Looking for a gun control law to "prevent another Sandy Hook" was an exercise in futility and just political theater.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-21-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nonetheless, the AR-15 is still the go-to weapon of choice for people who have joined USA's mass killer cult. That should cause concern.

Zoisite, now it's you turn to put a thinking hat

The AR-15 is the "go-to" rifle of choice because the AR-15 (and derivatives) is the most sold rifle in America by a long shot (no pun intended)

Why?

1) One of the most inexpensive centerfire rifle on the market, sometimes some brands are on sale for as little as $350 or so....is not a proprietary design, it is an open patent and any gun manufacturer can produce one without paying any royalties (some are literally mom and pop shops making only ARs)...this keeps the cost down and popularity high.

2) Definitely the most inexpensive centerfire rifle to shoot, ammo is cheap

3) One of the easiest centerfire rifle to shoot especially for small framed people, recoil is low...it makes few hours at the range a breeze.

4) Highly customizable ergonomically.

5) It is light and it looks "cool" (especially to the young crowd) but is not particularly more lethal compared to other rifles.

Take the AR out of circulation and another rifle would become the "weapon of choice" in the very small fraction of murders every year where a rifle is used.

Same thing with Glock...is the most used handgun in crime not because is particularly lethal but because is one of the most popular pistol in America.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-21-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sandy Hook was "special" for two reasons.

1) It was particularly horrific given the especially young age of most of the victims.

2) It was absolutely non preventable no matter the laws you had in place short of outright banning of all firearms. Looking for a gun control law to "prevent another Sandy Hook" was an exercise in futility and just political theater.
Hard to explain that to the parents of those babies, though, right?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hard to explain that to the parents of those babies, though, right?

Very hard but unfortunately is the truth.....very difficult to think rationally during these tragic events.

Any piece of legislation passed would have been a "make me feel good" one but totally useless to prevent another tragedy like that with the same circumstances.

Thankfully, these events are very rare despite some cooked up "statistics" trying to prove that are increasingly frequent.

Couple of level headed articles on the subject:

No, there have not been 18 school shootings already this year

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/343100002/

School shootings are not the new normal, despite statistics that stretch the truth

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/349380002/

In a nutshell:

1) The definition of "school shooting" in the alarmist stats used by many in the media is stretched beyond recognition....some of the events included in these "school shooting statistics"

- A gun was fired from off campus and a stray bullet struck the Visual Arts Building” at California State University-San Bernardino (no one was killed or injured)

- A third grader pulling a trigger on a pistol a police officer left on a bench (no one was injured as well)

- A veteran decided to commit suicide in his car on a school parking lot....and so on, other example are included in these articles...

2) The second half of the 1990s was a much worse period for real school shootings

Granted, this does not mean that we should not do more to prevent these horrific acts

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-21-2018 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Fusion, you really want to compare Japan as a society to the US?? Do you think is all about guns?? Come on man, put your thinking hat and go further than reading headlines.
You're pretty arrogant with the underlined Saturno. It is also pretentious to assume that because someone has a different viewpoint on the issues than you do means people don't think about a topic more than reading headlines.

Quote:
First, Japan is at the bottom of the pile for gun ownership rate in the world......but its murder rate pretty much is equivalent to countries like Norway and Austria that are among the first 10 countries in the world when it comes to gun ownership rate......

Do you really believe that a CCW permit system in Japan would turn that country into United States when it comes to crime?? Sorry but is laughable....
Of course culture plays a huge role and while the thought of a CCW to a Japanese person is alien, I do agree that with their culture, it probably wouldn't translate to the level of gun crime in the U.S. The causes for the level of gun violence and mass shooting in the U.S is multi-factorial, and I've always agreed with that premise but ignoring the weapon and in particular, certain types is a part of the problem.

What I appreciate about Japan is that they distance themselves from guns and gun culture. The extremely small number of deaths as a result is to me something that should be emulated. As for Norway (not sure about Austria), from what I know the vast majority of gun owners use guns for hunting and sport. I'm sure the type of weapons they use are different from those used by an large in mass shootings. Types of weapons matter but as do a number of other factors. Norway also has less income inequality than the U.S and even Canada so all those things play a role.

Quote:
By the way, Japan has one of the highest suicide rate in the world...surh perfect peaceful society...
I didn't say Japan was a perfect society did I? No but when it comes to gun violence and gun culture they rank very highly in my book due to the lack of either. Again, i'm not entirely anti-gun. I find nothing wrong with a person owning a gun for specific purposes of hunting and sport with strict and nationalized vetting processes. I don't agree with the right to CCW, I don't support guns for civilian use that aren't designed for anything more than hunting and sport and yes, I am a huge proponent of any society diminishing the importance of guns for matter of 'self defense'

Quote:
By the way, tonight I learned a fairly interesting statistics, source FBI, year 2015, the most recent year with complete data.

Murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate by weapon:

Rifles (all rifles, including the AR-15): 252

Knives: 1544

Blunt Objects: 437

Bare Hands/Feet: 624

...so, despite all the hype, in 2015 the number of people that got murdered by bare hands and feet was more than twice the number of people killed by rifles, all rifles.....

Now you understand why the AR-15 fears are simply hysteria and an "assault rifle" ban is a non starter....
C'mon now, you know as well as I do that the vast majority of deaths in mass shooting is with weapons similar to an AR-15. When was the last time someone went into a school and used their bare hands and feet to kill 21 children. Be real! The murders committed with knifes, blunt objects and bare hands/feet are most likely if not all done in a domestic violence situation. The two are not parallel and you know it!

Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Americans seem to think they need guns to feel safe for protecting themselves. It's quite the opposite in Canada.
Canadians feel safer without all the guns around. A lot of communities don't even lock their doors at night. I used to live in a small community and most people living there didn't. I didn't even know what key on my key chain fit our front door.

Up here in the north where I live, most people who own guns have them for shooting game (moose, deer, bear and birds). We do have shooting competitions, but not very many and it isn't a very popular sport compared to in America. Fine by me.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 2,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Americans seem to think they need guns to feel safe for protecting themselves. It's quite the opposite in Canada.
Canadians feel safer without all the guns around. A lot of communities don't even lock their doors at night. I used to live in a small community and most people living there didn't. I didn't even know what key on my key chain fit our front door.

Up here in the north where I live, most people who own guns have them for shooting game (moose, deer, bear and birds). We do have shooting competitions, but not very many and it isn't a very popular sport compared to in America. Fine by me.
Absolutely agree. We Canadians feel safe enough not to use them. There is definitely still a racial component down there of some white Americans being afraid of people of African descent which is why they hoard these guns. Tragic but true. White Americans need to learn to love everyone despite the color of their skin. Don’t be afraid of dark skin.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yeah and I don't think this is something unique to Canadians. There are many many Americans who feel the same. Sometimes their voices are drown out by the NRA and its fiercely vocal and influential lobbyists but there are many of our fellow Americans who feel the same. I also think how we feel isn't something foreign among most if not all western and i'd go so far as saying most nations period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada