Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do you know any actors or actresses?
I'm assuming you mean movie actors or actresses?

I know people that have been in movies, small parts. I've seen a few over the years, but not like friends who work downtown. They pretty much see just about anyone that's working in town. From Lady Gaga shopping, to Donald Sutherland coming in for a morning coffee habitually for a few weeks. Ryan Reynolds walking with his wife and kid around town. Just famous people doing everyday things.

Years ago when Katherine Hepburn was living in the West End, I believe while shooting something here, she was seen a few times walking the seawall in Stanly Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
I just saw another “creeping Canadianism” where a woman walked out of a “convention centre” in what is supposed to be Minnesota.
I was channel surfing the other day and caught a made for TV movie that at one point showed a cruise boat on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa...

Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Do you know any actors or actresses?
Quebec being the way that it is, I have a bunch of acquaintances or people with 1 or 2 degrees of separation from me whom I see periodically on Quebec TV or in "our" movies. For example, last week I found out that one of the main actors in a groundbreaking Quebec TV series from earlier this year that was watched by my kids and all their friends, is actually the daughter of a guy I used to work with, and grew up a few blocks from where I live. (I and my kids knew this actress was from Gatineau, but did not know the link was that close to us.)

A lot of these people appear periodically in small roles in Hollywood films - when these are shot in Montreal of course.

Just the other day I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster and all of a sudden I saw the son of a woman I used to work with playing an FBI or CIA agent alongside a trio of A-list American celebrities.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:02 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was channel surfing the other day and caught a made for TV movie that at one point showed a cruise boat on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa...
Was the movie supposedly set in the US?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Was the movie supposedly set in the US?
I didn't watch it all, but from what I could see the setting for the film was "neutral North America". I don't recall seeing any conspicuously planted American flags (common in these productions), but there may have been some. The actors had very neutral accents.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:01 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
To us Europeans it's all the same, at least generally I can't tell the difference. I recall a movie which was supposed to take place in the US and someone walked out a 'Bank of Canada' or something like that. In that case it was obvious but otherwise not so much. The French street signs everywhere could be a dead giveaway too. I heard they replace them for English signs when they shoot a movie.

I always watched the X-files thinking it took place in the US but later I found out it actually was filmed in Canada.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 PM

I've had drinks with Sir Ian Mckellen in his rented penthouse while he was here filming X-men. A friend that was in the business one night asked if me and another friend wanted to meet " Gandalf ". We laughed but he was serious. Made a call and a few minutes later Sir Ian was showing us around his amazing penthouse and made us drinks. We stayed about 2 hours. Kind of fun.

My degrees of separation from famous American movie stars is one. My grandparents lived in Hollywood from the 1950's to the 1980's. My grandfather worked in the business and met many famous people. My grandmother danced with Red Skelton, Dean Martin and once with Eddie Fischer, but with Eddie, it was at a shoe store opening

I also have a close friend in LA who works in the business..has for over 30 years in production. He knows a lot of famous people. When I'm visiting I haven't really gotten to see any of them, but he has let me wear jacket that was in a movie and worn by Matthew Broderick. He gave me one, worn in the Last Days of Disco. Grade B movie type stuff.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-23-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
To us Europeans it's all the same, at least generally I can't tell the difference. I recall a movie which was supposed to take place in the US and someone walked out a 'Bank of Canada' or something like that. In that case it was obvious but otherwise not so much. The French street signs everywhere could be a dead giveaway too. I heard they replace them for English signs when they shoot a movie.

I always watched the X-files thinking it took place in the US but later I found out it actually was filmed in Canada.
You may be surprised at how many US TV shows and movies are filmed in Canada. Google and see.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:48 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Most people don't even know what Minnesota or other states look like because they don't live there so it's not difficult to pass off a Canadian city for an American one.

Canadian cities are clean I think because it is a crime to litter and we have city and town departments that clean up and sweep the streets. I don't know what cities or towns do this but wherever I have lived in Canada the streets are clean. Personally I will put my candy and gum wrappers in my pocket until I find a trash bin.

Films shot in Alberta, Canada: The Revenant, War for the Planet of the Apes, Shanghai Noon, Forgiven, Game of Thrones, Interstellar, Superman (and II, III), Brokeback Mountain, Inception, Legends of the Fall, Fargo series, Hell on Wheels... many of these because of our wide variety of landscapes from the mountains to the badlands and prehistoric features.

Vancouver has by far the most movies shot in Canada (492 page list), then Toronto (430 pages), then Montreal with 295 pages, and the behind that Hamilton and Winnipeg (73P) as compared to Edmonton (32P) and Calgary (21P).

Old 10-23-2018, 01:02 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Most people don't even know what Minnesota or other states look like because they don't live there so it's not difficult to pass off a Canadian city for an American one.
I don’t think you could pass Vancouver off as Miami or Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada