Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 02:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I liked them as a kid, but my go to chips were Old Dutch BBQ chips, with an Orange Crush or Cream Soda. The pop was in bottles and you pulled them out of a cooler filled with chilled water.
Old Dutch sour cream & onion are amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 03:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Old Dutch sour cream & onion are amazing
They are. If I didn't have BBQ I would choose sour cream and onion, ketchup or salt and vinegar. Never plain.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:51 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Kinda related...

This thread made me think of how when in the U.S. I sometimes bring my wife back into line because she has conversations like this with service staff:

Wife: What kind of cheese do you put on that?

Service person: Uh, it's American cheese, ma'am.

Wife: Oh, no American cheese please. We want *real* cheese.

I try to explain to her that some people might be offended by her saying that American cheese is not real cheese, but she says she doesn't care. And that a lot of Americans she's said this to, actually agree with her and say "yeah, I know it's not very good".
There is nothing odd or offensive about what your wife said. American cheese is a specific type of cheese product, made from cheese but not all cheese. It ISN'T real cheese, not to any American

Old 08-25-2019, 11:27 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is nothing odd or offensive about what your wife said. American cheese is a specific type of cheese product, made from cheese but not all cheese. It ISN'T real cheese, not to any American
You are right, here in the US everyone knows “American cheese†is processed garbage. We have plenty of good cheese that comes from our country. Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Vermont all make quality cheese. Low quality processed cheese has nothing to do with America. Whoever named it American cheese must have really hated us.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:17 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You are right, here in the US everyone knows “American cheese” is processed garbage. We have plenty of good cheese that comes from our country. Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Vermont all make quality cheese. Low quality processed cheese has nothing to do with America. Whoever named it American cheese must have really hated us.
Or maybe not.

Quote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese

...... The Oxford English Dictionary lists the first known usage of "American cheese" as occurring in the Frankfort, Kentucky, newspaper The Guardian of Freedom in 1804. The next usage given is in 1860 by Charles Dickens in his series The Noncommercial Traversal........

A history of American Cheese. https://mentalfloss.com/article/2053...-kraft-singles

Another perspective to the effect it was invented by a Canadian: https://gizmodo.com/american-cheese-...ian-1693815367

Old 08-26-2019, 12:30 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Whoever named it American cheese must have really hated us.
I seem to recall, from my childhood in the 1960s, that Kraft made an effort to promote their processed cheese slices in Canada (aka "American cheese"), as "Canadian cheese." That didn't last too long. Why they changed, I don't know; but Kraft, and other producers, eventually just went with "processed cheese slices." As I recall, in Kraft's case, "processed cheese" was in small type above the word "Singles," in large type, on the packages.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I seem to recall, from my childhood in the 1960s, that Kraft made an effort to promote their processed cheese slices in Canada (aka "American cheese"), as "Canadian cheese." That didn't last too long. Why they changed, I don't know; but Kraft, and other producers, eventually just went with "processed cheese slices." As I recall, in Kraft's case, "processed cheese" was in small type above the word "Singles," in large type, on the packages.
Americans will tell you that " American Cheese " is not the same as Kraft Singles, even though it's still a processed cheese.

This US blogger who moved to Ottawa, seems to have an emotional relationship with " American Cheese" so it probably taints their view on how good it is, and it's rather a long piece just to describe what the heck
" American Cheese " is, but still informative.

"Well, no wonder the rest of the world snubs their noses at American cheese! They think American cheese is Kraft singles! If that was true I would completely agree that it is garbage, but it is all a terrible misunderstanding. I want to try to set things straight."

American Cheese (Clearing Up a Global Misunderstanding) | The Cooking Geek

Old 10-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Just back from California....and I HAD to buy " American Cheese " to see for myself.

IMO it's very close to Kraft Singles, although I haven't had Kraft Singles for years, the main difference seems to be in texture. " American Cheese " seems more pliable, and has a slightly more tangy taste.

Still a very processed product, and not on my fave list by any means.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
I never order cheeseburgers from McDonalds or Burger King anywhere in the world for the very reason that they use very low quality processed cheese. It ought to be called "wartime cheese" or "prison cheese" instead.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I never order cheeseburgers from McDonalds or Burger King anywhere in the world for the very reason that they use very low quality processed cheese. It ought to be called "wartime cheese" or "prison cheese" instead.
It's first cousin to old fashion library paste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada