Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 04:48 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Pop quiz: which language's colonialist imposition has almost eradicated the Mohawk language in Québec to the point where only a handful of community members speak it today?

Hint: it ain't French.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:29 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pop quiz: which language's colonialist imposition has almost eradicated the Mohawk language in Québec to the point where only a handful of community members speak it today?

When the French and natives got together, they made Métis. When the British and natives got together, they made war.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:15 AM

Given the 2022 reality, I actually wouldn't be opposed to an exemption of sorts to Bill 96 for Indigenous students, but it's still very surreal to see people bitching in English about French as an interloper colonialist language, when it's in fact English that destroyed their own original language.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:11 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times
Quote:
Given the 2022 reality, I actually wouldn't be opposed to an exemption of sorts to Bill 96 for Indigenous students, but it's still very surreal to see people bitching in English about French as an interloper colonialist language, when it's in fact English that destroyed their own original language.
Isn’t French also a colonial language? The natives who met Jacques Cartier didn’t greet him in French, did they?

Old 05-11-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Isn’t French also a colonial language? The natives who met Jacques Cartier didn’t greet him in French, did they?
French can definitely be a colonial language for some. It's a huge, absurd stretch that it was or is one for the Mohawks, though.

A good book!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co..._the_Colonized

Old 05-12-2022, 07:26 PM

225 posts, read 152,443 times
Quote:

English, of course. That Anglos betrayed them when ever there was an opportunity

Old 05-12-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
When the French and natives got together, they made Métis. When the British and natives got together, they made war.
The francophones were guided by the Roman Catholic Church who condemned racism and too much materialism. This is why this happened.

The Anglos we're more materialistic. They established a "white" identity that was more important and materialist ideology that was so much stronger.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:16 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
The francophones were guided by the Roman Catholic Church who condemned racism and too much materialism. This is why this happened.

The Anglos we're more materialistic. They established a "white" identity that was more important and materialist ideology that was so much stronger.
Someone is forgetting how the French colonized Quebec first and also participated in the creation and support systems of residential schools across the country (alongside Anglos and the Church, so you're all evil). Also, drop the "white" stuff, French Canadians are as white as bread, no spice at all, it's hilarious seeing white Francos screaming "racism" or considering themselves non white, when they are white as hell (this is coming from an Indigenous person, fyi).

What Quebec is trying to do now is essentially creating an Ethostate, the Indigenous nations are seeing this, so is the English community and immigrant community. We all want French to be protected and promoted, my family + myself are tri or quad-lingual (French included). What we don't accept is the government and their nationalism b.s, trying to cause a **** storm for no reason and to get people against each other. Limiting the freedoms of people to choose their own CEGEPs, not getting health services in your language, only getting 3 months to learn a new language, a police state by the OQLF granting them insane powers for unwarranted search and seizure, + courts hearings only in French is insane. The CAQ is literally doing the same crap the Catholic Church did here, trying to control every facet of life and society.

Want to protect French? Get better resources to teach it/hire more people. The classes here are atrocious, the teachers suck, the resources are horrible. You have to entice people to learn French, not penalize them. Fix the drop out rate in French high schools, where the graduation rates are in the low to mid 60%, one of the lowest on the continent. Forcing people to choose where they go to college is also a big no, there is nothing wrong with French Canadians, and all Quebecers, to be bilingual. That'll mean Quebecers will be more powerful and have more global influences, so it'll be nice to have more influence globally, rather than confined to one Province.

I'll leave it at that, I know you (and others) will chew my head and attack me/disagree or whatever, but I don't care. Really hope a lot of people show up to the protest on Saturday and I hope the citizens will apply pressure to ensure the current idiots in office reconsider this bill. And if it has to get rowdy, I am ready for it.

Last edited by CXT2000; 05-12-2022 at 08:40 PM..

Old 05-12-2022, 11:26 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
People, please keep the discussion civil and related to the topic presented in the opening post. Thank you.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Someone is forgetting how the French colonized Quebec first and also participated in the creation and support systems of residential schools across the country (alongside Anglos and the Church, so you're all evil).
Once conquered, the "French" didn't have choice. There weren't residential schools in France-owned Canada.

Quote:
Also, drop the "white" stuff, French Canadians are as white as bread, no spice at all, it's hilarious seeing white Francos screaming "racism" or considering themselves non white, when they are white as hell (this is coming from an Indigenous person, fyi).
This isn't for you to decide. Just like it isn't for me to categorize your ethnicity. It is interesting that you carry a strong dislike for "white" people but at the same time are forcing the adding of the people into the category regardless of their own true ethnicity or identification. As of now, I will also consider you a white guy.

Quote:
What Quebec is trying to do now is essentially creating an Ethostate, the Indigenous nations are seeing this, so is the English community and immigrant community. We all want French to be protected and promoted, my family + myself are tri or quad-lingual (French included). What we don't accept is the government and their nationalism b.s, trying to cause a **** storm for no reason and to get people against each other. Limiting the freedoms of people to choose their own CEGEPs, not getting health services in your language, only getting 3 months to learn a new language, a police state by the OQLF granting them insane powers for unwarranted search and seizure, + courts hearings only in French is insane. The CAQ is literally doing the same crap the Catholic Church did here, trying to control every facet of life and society.
Wow that sounds very bad! If it is so terrible then why not leave Quebec? This is how it is and how it will be for the future. Problem solved!

Quote:
Want to protect French? Get better resources to teach it/hire more people. The classes here are atrocious, the teachers suck, the resources are horrible. You have to entice people to learn French, not penalize them.
So we will raise taxes on you to make funding for French language learning. I am a supporter of this idea!

Quote:
Fix the drop out rate in French high schools, where the graduation rates are in the low to mid 60%, one of the lowest on the continent. Forcing people to choose where they go to college is also a big no,
Should we make people graduate who don't attain the qualifications? If you can't learn French in Quebec, you shouldn't be able to graduate high school.

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with French Canadians, and all Quebecers, to be bilingual.
Yes there is something wrong with that. It isn't what the people of Quebec want.

Quote:
That'll mean Quebecers will be more powerful and have more global influences, so it'll be nice to have more influence globally, rather than confined to one Province.
We already can spread our influence into completely anglophone provinces. There is no need to make us bilignual to spread influence, we already do it without that thanks to the Canadian federal gouvernment.

Quote:
I'll leave it at that, I know you (and others) will chew my head and attack me/disagree or whatever, but I don't care. Really hope a lot of people show up to the protest on Saturday and I hope the citizens will apply pressure to ensure the current idiots in office reconsider this bill. And if it has to get rowdy, I am ready for it.
I wouldn't count on it. A few protests and even your threats of violent escalations won't change the reality that it is Quebec. Have you considered Miami/Toronto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada