Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 02:53 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times

Advertisements

OK, does this mean that multilingual health care workers will be discouraged from applying to hospitals?
https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...ls-2022-04-22/

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-12-2022 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:34 AM

Maybe the real problem is a shortage of Francophones who are interested in entering the health professions.

Old 04-24-2022, 02:26 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
OK, does this mean that multilingual health care workers will be discouraged from applying to hospitals?
https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...ls-2022-04-22/
The issue is framed the wrong way by the people quoted in the article.

It's not that the government doesn't want people who are multilingual.

But they want at least one of those multiple languages to be French.

What these pressure groups is for French to become non-mandatory for these jobs.

So someone could speak Mandarin and English, or Tagalog and English, but not French.

In their minds, I am sure that English only would be fine as well.

It's a thinly-veiled attempt at rolling back the requirement for French in what are public health jobs, and also the right for French speakers to receive health care in their language.

Old 04-24-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The issue is framed the wrong way by the people quoted in the article.

It's not that the government doesn't want people who are multilingual.

But they want at least one of those multiple languages to be French.

What these pressure groups is for French to become non-mandatory for these jobs.

So someone could speak Mandarin and English, or Tagalog and English, but not French.

In their minds, I am sure that English only would be fine as well.

It's a thinly-veiled attempt at rolling back the requirement for French in what are public health jobs, and also the right for French speakers to receive health care in their language.
Where in Quebec are people not receiving health care in French?

Old 04-25-2022, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Where in Quebec are people not receiving health care in French?
It still happens sporadically in certain anglo institutions that are supposed to at least be bilingual.

These activists would have things go further down that road.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:37 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It still happens sporadically in certain anglo institutions that are supposed to at least be bilingual.

These activists would have things go further down that road.
You’d be shocked many immigrant seniors who only speak Chinese or Tamil have translators at the hospitals ready to help them. Heathcare is probably the field with the most diverse demographics of workers and I find it highly unlikely that people are not receiving care in French in Quebec.

I am not saying it has never happened but what I think is really happening is a hardline nationalist gets treated by an older Anglo doctor and they find some minor errors in the doctor’s French to be unacceptable even though they’d give a pass to an immigrant from a non-English or French speaking country for the same grammatical mistakes. In the eyes of some of these Quebec nationalists, anything less than flawless French is unacceptable for any native born Canadian working in Quebec and an English Canadian accent should be completely untraceable.

The goalposts have moved more and more over the past 45 years and it’s gotten much past the point of defending the right to receive services in French, these OQLF nuts want to eliminate every trace of English from Quebec. You know it’s true. I know this isn’t you personally Acajack, but do you never roll your eyes at some of the ideas and arguments you hear from this side?

Old 04-26-2022, 06:22 AM

565 posts, read 671,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Heathcare is probably the field with the most diverse demographics of workers and I find it highly unlikely that people are not receiving care in French in Quebec.
Well, it does happen. My son had a minor surgery at the Hôpital de Montreal pour enfants / Children’s hospital (affiliated to McGill University) and the resident couldn’t speak French at all. He was from Saudi Arabia, McGill med student. As we wanted our son, who was 7 at the time, to understand what was going on with his own health, we asked for his case to be transferred to someone else, which they accommodated.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:35 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Well, it does happen. My son had a minor surgery at the Hôpital de Montreal pour enfants / Children’s hospital (affiliated to McGill University) and the resident couldn’t speak French at all. He was from Saudi Arabia, McGill med student. As we wanted our son, who was 7 at the time, to understand what was going on with his own health, we asked for his case to be transferred to someone else, which they accommodated.
hmm Im sorry that happened. I guess I wasn’t thinking of doctors in residency. Considering the number of out of province students in McGills med program I guess that makes sense. Was his mentoring doctor not around to help?

Old 04-26-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
It happened to my eldest child as well (who now lives in Montreal to go to university), within the past six months.

I have another child who works in the health care sector part-time here in Gatineau who sometimes has to serve as an interpreter between health care staff (mostly doctors) who only speak English, and patients and sometimes staff, who only speak French.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Thereby confirming the entire content of PDW's post.

Your 7 year old son ultimately got his care in his language of proficiency.

Your son was getting the required care regardless of language of service.

Your desire to have a 7 year old understand every aspect of his care direct from the provider was based upon your language of preference and not upon your son's provided quality of care.

Most of us grew up with our parents assuming the responsibility to provide total understanding of things like pending surgeries. I would have expected nothing less of them.

A resident from McGill must be able to communicate somehow while undergoing his studies. I find it impossible to believe he could not make himself adequately understood to you, with your subsequent translation being more than adequate to provide your son's complete understanding of his care.

Canada has a shortage of medial providers. We appreciate those who immigrate to fill those gaps. If we need to accept that care with some degree of inconvenience and tolerance, that's today's reality. Canadians across the country are having to undergo acceptance of this very change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada