Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Wow a 4% difference... that's hardly significant enough to get worked up about about. I do agree there's issues that need addressing with the Aborigines though.
I am no mathematician, but it seems to me that the difference between 2% and 6% is a 300% difference (or three times more), no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am no mathematician, but it seems to me that the difference between 2% and 6% is a 300% difference (or three times more), no?

Mod Note:

Depends how finely you choose to split hairs while attempting to fudge another member's post.

The difference between 2% and 6% may 300%, but the issue being addressed was the differential between Canadians of African decent in the general population and those who are incarcerated.

According to Cart24, "Blacks make up 2% of the population, but make up over 6% of the prison population".

That's a difference of 4 percentage points.

If you feel differences between theoretical "should be" s (ie- 2% black population should equal 2% black incarceration rate) and real world figures indicate deeper social issues, that's certainly your prerogative, but playing silly games with numbers does nothing to encourage sincere and helpful dialogue.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 PM

77 posts, read 284,616 times
The percentage difference shown can be an illusion. To make things simple -> Black Canadian people are 3 times more likely to find himself in jail than average Canadians. (Aboriginals 6 times)

If you compare them with who are neither black nor aboriginal, the numbers increase to 3.75 times and 7.5 times each.

Last edited by fps7028; 11-09-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,291,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
It's like you're forcing someone to provide evidence against themselves.
Kinda like waterboarding someone?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 AM

398 posts, read 733,494 times
Sort of but not quite. Waterboarding is actual and immeidate physical and mental torture. The breathalyzer is forced upon motorists with the threat of future physical and mental torture (license suspension, jail time, criminal record).

Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times
Quote:
Sort of but not quite. Waterboarding is actual and immeidate physical and mental torture. The breathalyzer is forced upon motorists with the threat of future physical and mental torture (license suspension, jail time, criminal record).
Well at least you now know it's a very bad idea to refuse a breathalyzer in Canada.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,291,733 times
Quote:
IMHO, if you are driving and are over the limit then you deserve license suspension, jail time and a criminal record, and none of those constitute "torture". More like "just reward".

Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
IMHO, if you are driving and are over the limit then you deserve license suspension, jail time and a criminal record, and none of those constitute "torture". More like "just reward".
You missed part of the earlier discussion.

He didn't mean people with over 0.08,
but people refusing to take a breathalyzer, regardless of their blood-alcohol content.
In the USA he claims it's not criminal to refuse a breathalyzer,
though they will still suspend your licence; it becomes an issue for Civil courts.

So in theory,
in the USA you could be an idiot by refusing a breathalyzer while sober and not be charged criminally because of your choice.
(since you'd still have your licence suspended)

Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,835,730 times
I'll keep our healthcare and justice system because I do feel that they function well most of the time.

Weather is another matter, I'd like a much warmer climate to live in.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,413,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You don't understand,
I can suffer painfully from cold in temps as mild as 54 F.
That's September through May in Toronto when I can too cold in the middle of the day.
I'm not sure I'd like every aspect about AZ's aridity though.

107 F dry heat is nothing to me.
That's like my sun-heated car temp where I go relax in on a coolish sunny summer's day.
Oh ok. You're like me when it comes to heat. I'm uncomfortable above 75. Above 85 I shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada