Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM

348 posts, read 849,836 times

Advertisements

Tony, I am so very sorry to hear of your dad's passing.

Thank you for sharing you and your dad's journey with the terrible disease that is pancreatic cancer.

While he left this world too soon, he IS looking down on you and is smiling.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. This journey had more ups then downs. Everything was going fine until February when his cells kept on lowering and he was in and out of the hospital. He went to the hospital in March because he had pains. They found out that he was retaining fluid so they kept him 10 days in the hospital to check him out and drain the fluid out. They operated on him on his birthday to put a catheter in him so we can drain the fluid from home. He was sent home 2 days before Easter. He then decided to have hospice instead of continuing with the chemo. The hospital oncologist said that chemo wouldn't do anything because it had spread to his lungs. His regular oncologist suggested that he continue with the chemo but my dad didn't want to. I wanted him to but he didn't listen to me. As the days went on, he started to fill up with fluid and he started to get weaker and weaker. He stopped eating, drinking, moving and going to the bathroom. He also was saying stuff that we never heard of. He was hallucinating. I felt so bad for him and I hated to see him like that. When I got home last Tuesday night from work, his eyes and body were yellow and I knew the time was coming. He had the death rattle. We had to call the hospice nurse because we couldn't take the breathing sound. She checked his pulse and it was really low. She said only a few hours left. My uncle and I were in the room with him. At about 5:10, I woke up and saw my uncle near him. Then I heard both my mom and him crying. I went near my dad and checked his pulse. It was over =(. He had a good battle. Too bad the cancer beat him. His oncologist thought he was going to beat this. He probably drowned to death from all the fluid buildup.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Tony, your positive attitude was a blessing to your Dad, I'm sure. I have no doubt that you helped him over some of the rougher spots. You did all you could do for him. And at some point, we all have to realize that we can do no more.

I hope you know that anytime you want to talk to someone, your friends and supporters will be here to listen. Bless you.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
I am so sorry.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
My condolences to you and your family. My dad died in 2004 of the same cancer at age 57. You were a wonderful son to help take care of your dad. I had been reading your story and it touched me in a personal way. I am sorry that he suffered but just know he's in a better place. Who knows maybe my dad and him are watching baseball together. You did all you could and I know your dad is grateful to you for that.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM

260 posts, read 337,651 times
So sorry for your loss Tony. You were a wonderful, caring son to your dad, which I'm sure was a reflection on the kind of man he was.

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of this very personal journey with you.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Tony; I'm so sorry your dad is gone.
I've been so busy lately; haven't really checked email & I came here today to see if I missed an update since your last post & saw this post.

Your dad is a few years older then me & a few years younger then my hub. When you 1st started posting; I never realized your dad was so young.

Cancer sucks.
Your dad was very lucky to have you beside him.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My condolences to you and your family. My dad died in 2004 of the same cancer at age 57. You were a wonderful son to help take care of your dad. I had been reading your story and it touched me in a personal way. I am sorry that he suffered but just know he's in a better place. Who knows maybe my dad and him are watching baseball together. You did all you could and I know your dad is grateful to you for that.
This is so young to die of pancriatic cancer. All those we have known and has been about 5 or 6 friends have been in the very late 60s or older. It is one of the 2 or 3 types of cancer with a very low recovery rate. Lung cancer used to be the big killer, now many are survivors 5 years or more. Hopefully pancriatic cancer will soon be easier to detect with better results.

Nita

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
My dad most likely died from the fluid buildup from the cancer spreading to the lungs.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
My dad most likely died from the fluid buildup from the cancer spreading to the lungs.
Tony; did they do an autopsy?
I wish we would have asked for one with my dad.

edit- the photo of your dad brings tears to my eyes every time I come to this post. He's not just "Tony's dad" - words we read on this message board; but a face to associate Tony's dad with. He looks like a very kind; nice guy that was too young to be taken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer