Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry, I was following your posts as I lost an aunt to this disease.

Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Its not the cancer that kept your dad from being himself at the end..it's the high doses of morphine. I remember when I was 18 and my father was dying..We had set up a bed in the dinning room so he could view the whole house and all the activity..One day he insisted on going to the hospital..because he could not get enough morphine at home...He did his best to handle the pain..He knew he could take no more...It was heart breaking to lose my father.

I pined over his death for about 9 years...I hope you heal sooner...I don't know who you are but I send my love to you...because we are the same person when it comes to the dear things in life..I am as a father going to hold on as long as I can...and live to be a grumpy old man--cos I know how much my kids love me...and how much they will cry...I don't want them to cry.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,689 times
My dad was in another world in the last week. We gave him morphine everyday. He wasn't the same person. My dad was a really loveable and nice guy. Everyone liked him.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
My dad was in another world in the last week. We gave him morphine everyday. He wasn't the same person. My dad was a really loveable and nice guy. Everyone liked him.

Tony, I am so sorry to hear about your father's passing. That is such sad, sad news.

My mother died from pancreatic cancer 1 year ago. It is always a shock.

Thank you for everything you did for him. It meant so much to him to have your support and help.

Peace to you.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Tony, I am so sorry to hear about your father's passing. That is such sad, sad news.

My mother died from pancreatic cancer 1 year ago. It is always a shock.

Thank you for everything you did for him. It meant so much to him to have your support and help.

Peace to you.
He really appreciated it. He wanted to be a survivor. I don't know how people live a long time with this cancer. My dad had the tumor on the tail and the doctor said that it's the best spot to have it. The chemo was really working for him and the doctor said that he was able to go back to work. =(

Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
He really appreciated it. He wanted to be a survivor. I don't know how people live a long time with this cancer. My dad had the tumor on the tail and the doctor said that it's the best spot to have it. The chemo was really working for him and the doctor said that he was able to go back to work. =(
Tony,

It is rare people live very long with this type of cancer. The survival rate is almost nothing, but there are those, like, Supreme Ct Justice Ginsburg who was diagnosed a couple of years ago I think and steve Jobs, who lived quite awhile, I think he had pancreatic cancer, but normally there just ins't much that can be done. Lets hope in the next few years they find a way to make earlier diagnoses, that is the secret to almost all cancers.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tony,

It is rare people live very long with this type of cancer. The survival rate is almost nothing, but there are those, like, Supreme Ct Justice Ginsburg who was diagnosed a couple of years ago I think and steve Jobs, who lived quite awhile, I think he had pancreatic cancer, but normally there just ins't much that can be done. Lets hope in the next few years they find a way to make earlier diagnoses, that is the secret to almost all cancers.

Actually, Steve Jobs had a different type of pancreatic cancer called NET (neuro-endocrine tumor of the pancreas). These are much less aggressive tumors, and you can often live for many years and many are cured.

Unfortunately, Tony's dad (and my mom....) had the worst kind - pancreatic adenocarcinoma. That is the one that is very hard to cure.... mostly because many of us discover too late that we have it, so it is too late to have surgery to remove it because it has spread.

It was a shock for us too Tony, when my mom passed. It seemed to me from your post that you did SUCH a good job and keeping your dad's spirits high and staying hopeful. That was so important. You are a very good son.

Wishing you the best.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Bless you Tony for taking such good care of your dad. My dad died of the same cancer.
I hope oneday soon there will be something to erase cancer from all our lives.
I'm sure he appreciated your being with him and your wonderful care.......

Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Actually, Steve Jobs had a different type of pancreatic cancer called NET (neuro-endocrine tumor of the pancreas). These are much less aggressive tumors, and you can often live for many years and many are cured.

Unfortunately, Tony's dad (and my mom....) had the worst kind - pancreatic adenocarcinoma. That is the one that is very hard to cure.... mostly because many of us discover too late that we have it, so it is too late to have surgery to remove it because it has spread.

It was a shock for us too Tony, when my mom passed. It seemed to me from your post that you did SUCH a good job and keeping your dad's spirits high and staying hopeful. That was so important. You are a very good son.

Wishing you the best.
My dad's doctor said that he had the tumor on the tail which wasn't a bad spot to have it. Much better than the head which can cause a lot of complications. His doctor always said that it was so growing. He really thought that my doctor was going to beat it. When he heard that my father passed away, he felt so bad.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
My dad's doctor said that he had the tumor on the tail which wasn't a bad spot to have it. Much better than the head which can cause a lot of complications. His doctor always said that it was so growing. He really thought that my doctor was going to beat it. When he heard that my father passed away, he felt so bad.
Tony; where was your dad treated? I've tried to message you at both places. I wasn't sure if he was at Sloan Kettering or not.

With cancers like this; it matters where they are treated; think I gave you a bunch of info when your beloved dad was 1st diagnosed. I'd been hanging out at the PC board for a year before your dad & I'd hoped that I'd be able to give you info to help make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer