Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:14 PM

400 posts, read 738,269 times

Advertisements

theatergypsy, so true, and thank you. Today I realized the part about no regrets. I was so busy at work, I was only able to go over and visit her for 45 minutes. We went outside on the porch to look at the hanging baskets filled with beautiful flowers. She was feeling better with the patch on (it's only been a few hours since it was put on) and we had a nice conversation about ... the weather, and the lotion I brought over.

Haven't I seen you over on the NEPA forum?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
Please contact hospice for their advice. I would be more likely to listen to their advice about pain control and keeping one in as active and pain free time as possible. I truly believe the servie they offer is fantastic for both the patient and the family. It supports everyone in this most difficult time.

A friend had this cancer and as soon as hospice took over they got her meds sorted out and she was able to spend quality time with her family. Before that she was almost in a coma state.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
theatergypsy, so true, and thank you. Today I realized the part about no regrets. I was so busy at work, I was only able to go over and visit her for 45 minutes. We went outside on the porch to look at the hanging baskets filled with beautiful flowers. She was feeling better with the patch on (it's only been a few hours since it was put on) and we had a nice conversation about ... the weather, and the lotion I brought over.
Hopefully she will do well. It can be a life saver for some people.
Hopefully someone can pop in & visit her tonight to see how she's tolerating it

~Hugs

Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A cardinal symptom of pancreatic is weakness, sleepiness, fatigue (same if mets to the liver, where you'd see yellowing of the skin from jaundice).
Thoughts are with you.
My dad's didn't turn yellow until the very end =(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

My dad was started with .25 dose on the morphine. He doesn't like taking meds without knowing what it's going to do & it was enough to kill his pain. He hardly wanted any. I hope that the appointment will go well & they will get the meds set so that she doesn't feel any pain. If you can; make sure she rules the medication & it's not given just because. She may not want to be dosed up all day to miss seeing her loved ones & the birds.

Try to "enjoy" these days ahead. I know its going to be hard.

~Hugs
Agree. Enjoy everyday with the person and make the best out of it.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know this is a hard time for you and your mom. What a crappy way to spend the days you had hoped would be filled with joy and enjoying the rest of your years. I really feel for your mom and for you. I think all you can do is talk with the doctors, and try to decide the best treatment for her. Have they given you a prognosis with and without treatment? I think, if it were me, I would forget he chemo, but everyone has to do what they feel comfortable doing. We have seen several friends who have had pancreatic cancer, most have opts for no treatments. However this doesn't mean it isn't a good move for some.

Keep us posted and keep your chin up...

Nita
good post. I had composed a big, long post concerning when my SIL was diagnosed with late stage cancer in her pelvic area. She was 76 and active. All I can say is, listen, ask questions and let your Mom decide what she wants to do. Each person handles this in their own way and she will do what is right for her. Your role is to support her, love her and comfort her.

Good luck to you, your family and your Mom and I pray for strength for you both.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
and I am tired of TV ads by certain cancer centers who brag about giving their patients "hope" and their staff being " warm"

They don't talk about the success ratios.

I don't need to spend my last penny simply to have a cancer center make me feel welcome and tell me ....." you are a fighter, and fighters don't give up "
excellent post. I originally posted a thread about Cancer Centers of America when I was researching for my SIL various options. They didn't take Medicare, it didn't pay enough. My SIL had medicare, plus a supplement plus military insurance and was well covered.

I have subsequently thought this may be the beginnings of the two tier health care system people are talking about. That is the way it is in England. If you have the money, you can buy good health care, if not, you will use the socialized care.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:19 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
My dad's pancreatic cancer was on the liver too but he never got Jaundice. He did loose his appetite and went from being a 300 lb man to about 200 lbs in just a few short months. He said it hurt when he ate. Towards the end he basically ate soup and ice cream. He was on the morphine patch too 3 times a day. My mother was getting hospice for him and they would come to the house because he wanted to die at home, his legs were filling up with fluid. Unfortunately he never got to meet with hospice because he passed away the day before they came. He actually was working full time up until 3 weeks before he died. He owned an insurance business. I pray for all those who lost a loved one or who have a loved one with PC, it's a terrible cancer.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My dad's pancreatic cancer was on the liver too but he never got Jaundice. He did loose his appetite and went from being a 300 lb man to about 200 lbs in just a few short months. He said it hurt when he ate. Towards the end he basically ate soup and ice cream. He was on the morphine patch too 3 times a day. My mother was getting hospice for him and they would come to the house because he wanted to die at home, his legs were filling up with fluid. Unfortunately he never got to meet with hospice because he passed away the day before they came. He actually was working full time up until 3 weeks before he died. He owned an insurance business. I pray for all those who lost a loved one or who have a loved one with PC, it's a terrible cancer.
It truly is a terrible disease. Lost my dad to it 3 months ago. He was only 52.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM

400 posts, read 738,269 times
AnnieA and lubby, thank you.

Sorry I have been off the forum for a few days. It's been a rollercoaster. We almost had to take Mom to the hospital on Saturday as she became impacted from all the meds. The situation resolved itself before the ambulance arrived. Now I am dealing with Medicare, which apparently covers only 10 days of sending a nurse in to administer Lovenox injections (blood thinner), and they want to train me to inject my mother twice a day. NY State law does not allow the nurses at the facility to give the injections. We may have to hire a private duty nurse, I hope not for too many days. Waiting to hear back from the doctor's office now.

The chemo went okay last week. My mom was extremely tired afterwards, but no other ill effects other than that she feels lousy anyhow. One more session this coming Friday, then a consult with the doctor next week to assess its effect and how she feels about continuing.

The pain patch was increased on Fri. Hope this will hold for a few days.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
AnnieA and lubby, thank you.

Sorry I have been off the forum for a few days. It's been a rollercoaster. We almost had to take Mom to the hospital on Saturday as she became impacted from all the meds. The situation resolved itself before the ambulance arrived. Now I am dealing with Medicare, which apparently covers only 10 days of sending a nurse in to administer Lovenox injections (blood thinner), and they want to train me to inject my mother twice a day. NY State law does not allow the nurses at the facility to give the injections. We may have to hire a private duty nurse, I hope not for too many days. Waiting to hear back from the doctor's office now.

The chemo went okay last week. My mom was extremely tired afterwards, but no other ill effects other than that she feels lousy anyhow. One more session this coming Friday, then a consult with the doctor next week to assess its effect and how she feels about continuing.

The pain patch was increased on Fri. Hope this will hold for a few days.
keep your chin up, yes, medicare does only cover a few days of home nursing. I don't see that changing in the near future.

When you have time keep us posted, I am sure we all realize your life, like your mom's has, unexpectedly been turned upside down.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer