Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I need to decide on a treatment plan by this week, my options are 4 rounds of doxorubicin with cyclophosphamide then 4 rounds of taxol and I would need a port installed. The other option is a trial using taxotere with cyclophosphamide 6 rounds through IV wouldn't need a port. The first one is more aggressive and can cause heart damage and other cancers but it has more data. The second one doesn't come with the heart damage risk but there isn't enough data to show the long term results.
I like the second option but my doctor wants me to go with the first choice, she said 8 nodes is a serious situation and there is more data showing the long term survival rates. I have had all the cancer removed so I think the second option should be ok. The port can cause septicemia, on another breast cancer forum I've been on, a lady posted how her brother in law passed away a few days ago, not from his cancer but his port became infected overnight, he had his chemo treatment went home the next day he was feeling really ill, he was brought to the hospital where he died the next day.
I'm trying to get as much information as possible from others who have been through this but when you hear things like this it scares the heck out of me.
I have been crying non stop lately, if I didn't have young kids I would take what is dealt and deal with it. My youngest turned 7 on the 8th and all I can think of is that she isn't going to have a mom and that I wont be here for her as she grows up, that's what is tearing me up, my mind is on a non stop real of why me, why did my nodes have to be positive why couldn't it turn out the way the dr. thought, they thought 0 nodes would be involved. I would be feeling a whole lot different right now, the only thing I'd have to worry about would be to finish this reconstruction. This whole last year has been hard, my husband worked away from and was only home 5 days a month I was so lonely and depressed this last year. I am a stay at home mom who went back to school part time and I don't have any other family besides my husband and kids. It's been a tough year, then my husband was laid off the day before easter and we have been struggling with money. Then I got diagnosed a month later. What the heck, can anything else happen?
hugs to you too and prayers if it's ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
《Hugs》 You will get through this, you are a strong woman (or you wouldn't have managed this past year).

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Anger with this sort of thing. Everyone who has been diagnosed with cancer will feel that anger. It is okay to feel that way, don't let it get the best of you.

It sounds like you have a good solid plan. We are all rooting for you.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Thanks, I would have probably caught this earlier if so much wasn't going on, my 11 year old son broke his hand in March and needed surgery, then the lay off and everything else I need to care of. It's easy for a mom to put herself on the back burner which is sad because they need us for everything and if we're to busy to think of ourselves nobody else is going too.

I've been back to housework and shopping one week since my mastectomy, I couldn't keep laying around , it just makes your mind run on forever, I feel stronger and I get my last drain out on Tuesday. Now I need to think about what to wear, it's warm so a jacket wont work, I look lop sided with one and half boobs .

I am strong and I will kick this $hit to the curb.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:25 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I can't tell you which treatment is best and if you are on the fence, you might want to get a second opinion.

I will tell you, getting a port is so scary when you hear about it, but it's really not a big deal. I was terrified. But now I've known so many people who have had them, and had one myself. Actually I have had two. The first one ended up starting to get infected after a few months, so they took it out and put in a new one. I will be honest and say that I hated having a port. It is a constant reminder of what is going on. But it is a lot easier than getting jabbed with IVs over and over again. Sure there are horror stories out there, but that is how it is with anything. Odds are you will not have any problems with one, if you get one.

I would encourage you to choose whatever treatment you think will keep you healthy for the long term, regardless of whether it requires a port.

Congrats on getting your drain out this week. They are so annoying!

Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
(((hugs)))
The first option is the one I had.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I am strong and I will kick this $hit to the curb.
You're right! Hang in there. I posted on another thread about seeing another patient in the waiting room who was wearing a T-shirt that read, "Cancer, you picked the wrong bi&tch." It was one of the few times I laughed while waiting for the doctor. Stay strong!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're right! Hang in there. I posted on another thread about seeing another patient in the waiting room who was wearing a T-shirt that read, "Cancer, you picked the wrong bi&tch." It was one of the few times I laughed while waiting for the doctor. Stay strong!
I remember when you posted that: good attitude to have..

asitshouldbe: just continue to hang in there; it sounds like you are doing everything you can to keep up the positive thoughts. As for what is best for you, I think, if you have any doubts, like someone said; get a second opinion.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Are any of you on FB? There are a few support groups that I've been on and they are closed so only the members can see the posts.
It's nice because you can get instant feedback from so many woman who have been through it or are beginning the journey like me.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
I PM'd you my FB info! I also HIGHLY recommend breastcancer.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer