Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,399 times

Advertisements

It is amazing how much therapy I got from riding! My tumor markers are higher than they've ever been. My cancer is progressing. I might not get to ride next year, but I'll have my memories of last summer for the rest of my life.

Funny how friendly everyone is at radiation or chemo. You never find that at a regular doctor's office. I guess it's because strangers aren't the scariest thing we are facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The Imp got a lot of miles hauling freight on it! Course it beat the heck out of me on the trails, rides like a buck board!

That actually looks like fun! I'd fall off the horse before it got out of the gate though!

It is amazing how much therapy one can get even from a simple "non" hobby when getting treatments.

When I was going in for my daily radiation treatments, they had a Jigsaw puzzle laid out on the table. I never was a real nut for the puzzles, but started to put pieces in while getting ready for my turn at the radiation treatments. Got to where it was really fun, considering I was starting to look like a zombie and felt even worse at the time!

I was starting to go in early just to put a few of the pieces in place as a highlight to my day. After the treatments and getting dressed, I would again put a few pieces in and chat with the others that were waiting for their treatments.

Basically if you are going though any kind of treatments or waiting for them, I would suggest doing something that makes you smile and is entertaining verses just waiting, and even the most simple things can bring a smile.

Keep it up with the horses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 01:54 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Two years later. March 2011 I was diagnosed with mets to my bones. So far we haven't been able to stop the spread. This summer I started barrel racing because it's something I've always wanted to do. I'm still singing "Live like you are dying." The live part. I'm not dying any time soon!
that song was popular about the time I was diagnosed with cancer. I hated that song from the get go. As a survivor I found it to be in poor form. It wasn't how I felt even at the worst of my treatment. I know it was good for others and I don't want to diminish that.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:37 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,891 times
I seriously hate Cancer with a passion. Before the chemo treatments, my dad was really energenic. He was also jogging,walking,running,bike cycling, working out, bowling and also play baseball with me. Now, all he does he sit and lay down. He can't even walk far because if he does, he gets tired. Chemo really sucks. I wish there was an easier cure to cancer. This cancer thing really sucks.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:37 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,577,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I seriously hate Cancer with a passion. Before the chemo treatments, my dad was really energenic. He was also jogging,walking,running,bike cycling, working out, bowling and also play baseball with me. Now, all he does he sit and lay down. He can't even walk far because if he does, he gets tired. Chemo really sucks. I wish there was an easier cure to cancer. This cancer thing really sucks.
There is nothing fun about cancer or it's treatments, my heart goes out to your family and your father!

When I was driving 180 miles round trip by myself to get the radiation treatments, by the end of the second week, I would have to stop and rest every fifteen miles or so. Not sleepy tired, I was exhausted tired. As the treatments continued it just got worse.

A friend suggested I drink an energy drink, I told him I couldn't handle a massive sugar drink. He said there is a small one one a red bottle that has no sugar and about the caffeine of a cup of coffee. After months of Lupron shots and others meds to stop any testosterone production, there wasn't any energy reserves in me.

I stopped at a convenient stoe and bought a bottle. It was the first day I could drive all the way home. It's mostly made up of vitamins, so I took a bottle to show the doctor to make sure I wasn't doing something that would cause problems. He said it was mostly B12 and B6 and didn't see any issues with it.

Although it helped a lot, I still wasn't going to be running track or anything, but it really changed my view of the constant exhaustion! And drank it fairly regularly (one a day) for almost a year after the Lupron shots ended until my natural energy started to come back.

There is a bunch of different brands now on the market and I don't want be accused of pushing a product specifically, but they do make a world of differance and may help your father while he recovers from the treatments!

Best of luck in his return to normal!

Last edited by starlite9; 11-12-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Funny how friendly everyone is at radiation or chemo. You never find that at a regular doctor's office. I guess it's because strangers aren't the scariest thing we are facing.
I also noticed the same thing. The doctors are really friendly at the cancer center my dad goes to.

Quote:
There is nothing fun about cancer or it's treatments, my heart goes out to your family and your father!

When I was driving 180 miles round trip by myself to get the radiation treatments, by the end of the second week, I would have to stop and rest every fifteen miles or so. Not sleepy tired, I was exhausted tired. As the treatments continued it just got worse.

A friend suggested I drink an energy drink, I told him I couldn't handle a massive sugar drink. He said there is a small one one a red bottle that has no sugar and about the caffeine of a cup of coffee. After months of Lupron shots and others meds to stop any testosterone production, there wasn't any energy reserves in me.

There is a bunch of different brands now on the market and I don't want be accused of pushing a product specifically, but they do make a world of differance and may help your father while he recovers from the treatments!

My dad can barely walk 3 blocks without getting tired. The chemo is really kicking his butt. His muscle mass went way down. My dad was muscular before the chemo. Today, I bought him Boost glucose for diabetics. He was drinking ensure but that has a lot of sugar.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,399 times
I hope your Dad gets to feeling better Tony. Make sure his Oncologist knows how fatigued he is. It's pretty much par for the course with chemo and radiation though.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:

I stopped at a convenient stoe and bought a bottle. It was the first day I could drive all the way home. It's mostly made up of vitamins, so I took a bottle to show the doctor to make sure I wasn't doing something that would cause problems. He said it was mostly B12 and B6 and didn't see any issues with it.

Although it helped a lot, I still wasn't going to be running track or anything, but it really changed my view of the constant exhaustion! And drank it fairly regularly (one a day) for almost a year after the Lupron shots ended until my natural energy started to come back.

I would drive a 180 miles one way for chemo treatment. The end of the long weeks I was drained pretty bad. I was to the point that I hated riding in a car and for the first time in my life I'd get car sick. I had a driver lined up. On my weeks of 5 treatments I'd stay at my parents and save a bunch of miles.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I would drive a 180 miles one way for chemo treatment. The end of the long weeks I was drained pretty bad. I was to the point that I hated riding in a car and for the first time in my life I'd get car sick. I had a driver lined up. On my weeks of 5 treatments I'd stay at my parents and save a bunch of miles.
Well I wish I had the luxury of having a driver, it was exasperating to need help and not get it!

Not fun...

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Well I wish I had the luxury of having a driver, it was exasperating to need help and not get it!

Not fun...
This is why I am an advocate for cancer patients and survivors.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
This is why I am an advocate for cancer patients and survivors.
Well thank you for you efforts! I live I bit too remote here in Alaska to do mic except tell of my experiences in hopes that they may help others that have to deal with all this coming at them like a freight train.

It's ironic that with all my dealings to date with my own cancer, my daughter's very lovable boxer dog, was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. This next Friday I have to take it to have its Left leg removed up to the shoulder.

Seems everyone is touched by cancer in all forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer