Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times

Advertisements

Fisheye, I am so sorry about your wife but she went partly the way she wanted. I agree with you about euthanasia. I provided many dogs and cats a way out of their suffering when the time has come. Loved them dearly. I wish someone could do the same for me someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 11:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Fisheye, I'm so sorry about the loss of your wife. She was very fortunate you were so devoted in keeping her as pain free as possible, and I'm sure that you saved her from much suffering.

I definitely agree with you about euthanasia. My sister died from breast cancer. She saved up a good store of her pain meds and then chose her own time to pass when the pain became too much.

I hope you are taking care of yourself. It takes time to recover from the stress and fatigue as well as the loss of a loved one.

Thank you! I have great respect for hospice care because they have been through this process over and over again. I don't know how they do it; it has to be very hard. But I do not understand why we cannot let our hospice care system work hand and hand with patients that choose euthanasia. My wife was in the visiting hospice care nursing program for the last three days of her life. In the last four years both my parents were in a hospice facility for their last days. Because the professionals in hospice care have been through this so many times; they have all the resources. They can provide counseling, religious services, and other guidance. To me it would be natural to team them up with euthanasia.

When I have mentioned euthanasia in the past; others have said that it is so easy to do with the information available online. But it is illegal and not always guaranteed. The last thing one wants to do is experience more pain and suffering from a failed attempt.

First my condolences to your sister! While your sister took pain meds to end her suffering; some times those meds cause vomiting. She was obviously successful and is not no longer suffering. But it might have been possible that another would not be that lucky. That is why I would really like to see this handled by professionals.

I am trying to stay busy and I have many projects around our house that I have to take care of. Also I might go back to work in January if they will still have me. Our son came home after her learned of his mother's cancer; so I do have company when he is not working. Thank you again!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:08 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I lost my dad to cancer in 2006. He was diagnosed with AML - Acute myeloid leukemia, a cancer of the myeloid line of blood cells. His was due to Chemical exposure, there was benzene in the products we used at our family owned service station. My dad's chance of survival was 14% - not great odds. We were lucky to have him for a total of 8 months; which IMO were due to the treatment he received at the Cancer Institute in NJ.

A few weeks after losing my dad, we lost my hubby's dad to a rare brain cancer. A year after losing both, hubby's mom was diagnosed with IDC breast cancer.

I miss my dad so much. It saddens me that cancer treatments that were clinical trials back then, are now helping people to live longer. My dad was going to do a clinical trial for stem cells but was too far gone to do it.

I hope that one day we will find a cure.
Been a long time since I posted. I lost a dear internet friend to brain cancer after her 3rd diagnosis. She had headaches but was afraid to go; no matter what I said she wouldn't listen. Of course she eventually tells me she was diagnosed again (she told me as soon as she found out) but this time it was totally different and huge. Odds weren't good. She fought even though she said she wouldn't. She had a young adult son; the apple of her eye. I think she just had to work up the nerve. I kick myself for not telling her mom about her headaches but my life got busy with my own health.

Now cancer reared it's head again. Stage 4 IBC breast cancer not hormone receptive, odds are horrible for a young person. She found out she had it 2 years ago, from what I hear Dr did lumpectomy but did not offer chemo due to her age. She'll be 85 next year. Now the same Dr is saying chemo for 6 months. Time for a 2nd opinion with hopefully a university hospital that will tell her the truth. I don't want to see her suffer. On the positive, she's lived a decent and long life. 85 is nothing to sneeze at. If she did do chemo I doubt she'd make Thanksgiving even though she's in decent health although I don't know about heart and lung function which is on the list if she decided to do chemo.

So over cancer.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Hard to keep away from any Cancer.
Lost my wife 43 yrs ago to multiple Cancer tumors.
Lost my mother to Brain and Breast Cancer at age 80 and my dad at 86 also to Cancer and Renal failure.
10 yrs ago oldest daughter passed away from breast Cancer into the Lymph nodes.
Me, had my Thyroid (Cancer) removed about 10 yrs ago....so far am clean, turned 87 last Aug.
Overall I have lived longer then many people I knew from the past.
Just bought a late model Hybrid car and financed thru the Military Credit Union.... guess they have faith in me.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:12 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times
I survived cancer but I lost the ability to bear children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer