Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,767 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend has LMS, a rare sarcoma (which itself is not very common). It's been a roller coaster. She's had a mascetomy, radiation, and chemo. Going into 2d round of chemo now. Pls keep her in your thoughts and prayers, as I will any of you (or those you care about) going through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 33,589 times
Default Dear Joey2000

We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers. A good thing to keep in mind: there are many clinical trials that are around today that would give her the chance to receive state of the art treatment. Of course, the traditional treatment options should be taken first, however; my mom intends to give clinical trials a shot, if need be. We live in Connecticut (and I don't like it here very much) but we are 45 min from Yale Cancer Center, which is a good hospital--it's not Sloan-Kettering, but they are very good there and they have marvelous doctors and treatments.

Many cancer treatment centers will actually help with the cost of travel and stay. Groups like the American Cancer Society and Cancer Care are very helpful resources for financial need/support.

It is very difficult, but attitude is very important. We listen to Dr. Bernie Siegel. He is an Oncologist that appears to be very much into the metaphysical aspects of medicine.

God bless you both.

Christina

Old 10-31-2009, 08:07 AM

Thx - she is going to MD Anderson actually, which I would highly recommend to anyone who can afford the travel costs. It's an amazing place. She really has been amazing too, including about doing research on this. PS and "FWIW" she is trying the "Bill Peeples cocktail" (as permitted, can't do it during chemo), which is a bevy of vitamins and other supplements which Bill P's wife tried when she was given little hope with advanced cancer - last I heard she's beaten this thing back for 13 yrs and counting -

Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,529,235 times
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2008 at age 44. 12 weeks of chemo (clinical trial) with avastin, mastectomy, 16 weeks of standard chemo with avastin, 31 radiation treatments. Am recovering from my awesome DIEP flap reconstruction which came with a tummy tuck.

At the time I thought god, just throw everything I can at it, and I'll be reasonably sure it won't ever come back. Now, I don't know, I went through an awful lot for an awfully long time. I could have skipped the first clinical trial chemo and had a lumpectomy, and skipped radiation and had a less complicated reconstruction. I'll never know if all my extra sacrifice was necessary.

I decided to believe my oncologist who says I am cured, and am moving on with my life. I'm starting graduate school next spring to start a new career.

I hope I'm some kind of good example to my two children, ages 10 and 12. But I'm afraid I was a grouchy, scared old crank through most of the treatment.

I discovered City-Data while I was sacked out on the couch for six months and had nobody to talk to all day while my family was at work and school. So you guys saved my sanity.

Thank you!

Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2008 at age 44. 12 weeks of chemo (clinical trial) with avastin, mastectomy, 16 weeks of standard chemo with avastin, 31 radiation treatments. Am recovering from my awesome DIEP flap reconstruction which came with a tummy tuck.

At the time I thought god, just throw everything I can at it, and I'll be reasonably sure it won't ever come back. Now, I don't know, I went through an awful lot for an awfully long time. I could have skipped the first clinical trial chemo and had a lumpectomy, and skipped radiation and had a less complicated reconstruction. I'll never know if all my extra sacrifice was necessary.

I decided to believe my oncologist who says I am cured, and am moving on with my life. I'm starting graduate school next spring to start a new career.

I hope I'm some kind of good example to my two children, ages 10 and 12. But I'm afraid I was a grouchy, scared old crank through most of the treatment.

I discovered City-Data while I was sacked out on the couch for six months and had nobody to talk to all day while my family was at work and school. So you guys saved my sanity.

Thank you!
The thought of the cancer making a return visit always hangs in the back of your head. Even more so post chemo or radiation. I know it was like that for me. That feeling lasted about two years after my last treatment. The anniversary of when I started chemo always kinda catches me too.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:01 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,816 times
My wife was diagnosed with a low grade glioma ( malignant brain tumour) in 2006 at the age of 38, with 2 kids under 10 at the time.
She had extensive brain surgery ,and at this stage it hasn't come back.
We were warned that there is no cure for brain cancer however.
Hopefully improvements in treatments for all forms of cancer can continue to be made.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 AM

My mom was recently diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. She had been ill since Feb 09. She has a legal case involving personal injury which happened in 2007. The attorneys know how ill she has been for nearly a year. The attorneys have had the case since 3/2007, and here it is 11/2009. They now know of her diagnosis, and have scheduled the first trial for 9/2010! My mom is very wary of these attorneys, but we don't know what to do. It seems odd that they know of her prognosis, but it appears they are waiting for her to die so they can get their hands on her money. We don't know how long she actually has, she is over 65. This is a very big case, and due to the fact that there were so many witnesses that came forward, and evidence to show negligence on the part of the other side (which involve 2 very prominent business/towns), it looks like it is a done deal. Just thought I'd ask your opinions.

Thank you.

Christina

Old 11-01-2009, 06:24 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,529,235 times
If your mom dies, won't her portion will go to her family, not the lawyers? There might be some taxation probate issues you should look into, ie her will.

I've heard of cases like this involving prominent parties being very frustrating. Too bad they won't settle out of court.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
My wife was diagnosed with a low grade glioma ( malignant brain tumour) in 2006 at the age of 38, with 2 kids under 10 at the time.
She had extensive brain surgery ,and at this stage it hasn't come back.
We were warned that there is no cure for brain cancer however.
Hopefully improvements in treatments for all forms of cancer can continue to be made.
As far as I know there is no cure for any cancer, period. There is always a chance of it coming back, although some chances are more remote than others.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Thank you for your response. My mom is very worried that they will try to find some way to use up the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
If your mom dies, won't her portion will go to her family, not the lawyers? There might be some taxation probate issues you should look into, ie her will.

I've heard of cases like this involving prominent parties being very frustrating. Too bad they won't settle out of court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer