Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:28 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I have my exchange surgery on Tuesday to finish reconstruction, I believe I'm more nervous about this than I was the mastectomy if you can believe it.
I can believe it! That's why I have chosen no reconstruction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,529,235 times
All the best to you Sunnydee. You sound great.

And good luck to you on Tuesday, Poltracker.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:45 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
The one piece of advice I can give you now is to ask your doctor when you can start exercising that arm. I had problems w/ mine and ended up in physical therapy. Exercising in a reasonable amount of time (the cancer society has a good book out on it) makes a huge difference.

I have my exchange surgery on Tuesday to finish reconstruction, I believe I'm more nervous about this than I was the mastectomy if you can believe it.
I believe it, all of this stuff is scary. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,104,503 times
Sunnydee, I usually don't come in this forum because the cancer is still too raw for me. So I just noticed your post. I hope all is well with you. Did you need chemo or radiation? Are you on Tamoxifen or some other medication?

~Roma

Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Sunnydee, I usually don't come in this forum because the cancer is still too raw for me. So I just noticed your post. I hope all is well with you. Did you need chemo or radiation? Are you on Tamoxifen or some other medication?

~Roma
Roma, I just had the mastectomy on the 23rd, so I'm still adjusting to my new reality. Due to my lupus and other health issues they didn't feel radiation or chemo would be viable options for me, so I went with the mastectomy. I still have my drainage tube in and my little collector bottle hooked up. I was so proud because I actually showered today, dressed myself, and looked halfway presentable. It took me over an hour, but I did it without help. I go to the breast surgeon tomorrow, so I'll find out what's next. Thank you for being willing to share with me. I never knew it'd be so painful,difficult, and change so much of my life, but I'm trying to go with the flow and retain my sense of humor.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,220,437 times
Glad to hear you are doing well Sunnydee. I had my exchange surgery on Tuesday and am recovering myself. Let me say it went alot easier than the mastectomy. I am very sore but the pain is considerably less overall and I am getting mobile alot quicker. Actually, it is kind of a relief that the expander is gone (weird but true). I am supposed to check in w/ my surgeon tomorrow to have some of my bandages removed and maybe my drains but I don't think they are ready to go yet. I hope this encourages you a bit if you have chosen to do reconstruction with expanders.

PS I'm actually kind of getting excited to see the final product though I know it will take at least 3 weeks for the swelling to go down.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,104,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Roma, I just had the mastectomy on the 23rd, so I'm still adjusting to my new reality. Due to my lupus and other health issues they didn't feel radiation or chemo would be viable options for me, so I went with the mastectomy. I still have my drainage tube in and my little collector bottle hooked up. I was so proud because I actually showered today, dressed myself, and looked halfway presentable. It took me over an hour, but I did it without help. I go to the breast surgeon tomorrow, so I'll find out what's next. Thank you for being willing to share with me. I never knew it'd be so painful,difficult, and change so much of my life, but I'm trying to go with the flow and retain my sense of humor.
Sunnydee, I hear you. Those tubes were a pain in the keester. I had 2 tubes. I had a double mastectomy. I had one of the tubes removed within a week and the other one wasn't removed for a MONTH!. To think back now on everything I went through....wow. I hope you have help with your tubes and all.

I do want to tell you that it has been a little over a year and I feel normal again. At first I felt like my implants were foreign and I had implants before I had breast cancer and they never felt foreign to me before. But after my mastectomy and reconstruction they felt foreign. I can't explain the feeling but it didn't feel like before (I think it is the emotions of it all). But I want to tell you that I no longer feel that way. I have excepted everything. These are my breast and I am very protective of them. I feel normal again (if that makes any sense). I'm okay with it all. Of course I wish I never got breast cancer but I accept it now fully.

It sounds like you made the right choice. I choose a double mastectomy and I would choose that again if I had to start all over again. A lot of the decision making are the results of all the tests you have to take. Even if you would do chemo or not. I did not do chemo or radiation because I did not have lymph node involvement, I tested negative for the BRCA gene testing and my Onco type DX test score was low. But some doctors hit it with everything and would of choose for me to do chemo and radiation even with all the above test results....some say that is overkill. I choose not to but that is my choice. Whatever you decide to do is right for you. I am taking tamoxifen though (estrogen positive breast cancer).

Best wishes to you.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 PM

The breast surgeon said I am now cancer free! The pathology report confirmed that there was more cancer than they anticipated, so the mastectomy was the best way to go. I don't see this surgeon for another six months.

I go back to the plastic surgeon Friday and hopefully will be able to get rid of the drainage tube at that point if the daily output is low enough. Thanks for the info on the expander. I am doing the reconstruction, so I was kind of wondering about how it would go/feel/look/etc. It sounds like I'll be seeing a lot of the plastic surgeon in the coming months and I'm hoping it's going to get easier.

The last three days have been pretty painful even with the meds which seems strange to me, but I guess it's all part of the process. Knowing that I should feel pretty normal again in a year really is a relief. You cannot imagine how much that one piece of information from you has eased my mind. I can't thank you enough for sharing with me and giving me the strength to battle on. Bless all of you for helping me through this.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:31 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,710 times
Quote:
The breast surgeon said I am now cancer free! The pathology report confirmed that there was more cancer than they anticipated, so the mastectomy was the best way to go. I don't see this surgeon for another six months.

I go back to the plastic surgeon Friday and hopefully will be able to get rid of the drainage tube at that point if the daily output is low enough. Thanks for the info on the expander. I am doing the reconstruction, so I was kind of wondering about how it would go/feel/look/etc. It sounds like I'll be seeing a lot of the plastic surgeon in the coming months and I'm hoping it's going to get easier.

The last three days have been pretty painful even with the meds which seems strange to me, but I guess it's all part of the process. Knowing that I should feel pretty normal again in a year really is a relief. You cannot imagine how much that one piece of information from you has eased my mind. I can't thank you enough for sharing with me and giving me the strength to battle on. Bless all of you for helping me through this.
Good luck Sunnydee, i had a mastectomy 35 yrs ago ..no choices then but i believe it saved my life ... it is quite a tramatic procedure to go through but think positive, have your reconstruction, you are cancer free now..just live.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:42 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,047,583 times
Quote:
The breast surgeon said I am now cancer free!
Absolutely wonderful news! May you stay this way forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer