Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,852 times

Advertisements

I live in N.J. my license is suspended due to unpaid fines that I am paying off. My girlfreind lives with me and she cant get car insurance due to the fact i am suspended. I do not plan to drive the car whatsoever. What is she to do? This is a little extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM

19 posts, read 57,999 times
call progressive. after my license was suspended state farm dropped me. i ended up getting the exact same coverage after my suspension for a way better price than i was getting from state farm before the suspension

Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,642,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfrog View Post
I live in N.J. my license is suspended due to unpaid fines that I am paying off. My girlfreind lives with me and she cant get car insurance due to the fact i am suspended.,,,.
In no way should your girlfriend be affected by your lack of license.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Where does her family live? She can probably get her car insured in another state a lot cheaper than NJ, by using her family's address. Generally, insurance agents do not look at drivers license, or even plates, as long as you give them a billing address in their area. If stopped, it won't matter if the insurance card is issued in a different state than the plates, but some states (like Nevada) require insurance from an agent in the same state in order to plate the car. Who is the registered owner of the car?

Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,630,852 times
I think the OP is saying his girlfriend can't get insurance for the OP's car, because he is the registered owner, w/suspended license. She isn't spouse...I don't know how one obtains insurance on another owner's car or house or...other than Credit Default Swaps, lol!
GL, mD

Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,988,431 times
When my Son got his license suspended, the insurance company made me sign a waiver saying that he couldn't drive any of my vehicles they insured.

He had his own vehicle, but was listed at one time as a driver of my vehicles.

Perhaps you can find a company that would insure YOUR car in her name with a waiver saying you won't drive it and they aren't responsible if you have an accident in it while you are behind the wheel.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,593,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I think the OP is saying his girlfriend can't get insurance for the OP's car, because he is the registered owner, w/suspended license. She isn't spouse...I don't know how one obtains insurance on another owner's car or house or...other than Credit Default Swaps, lol!
GL, mD
I agree. Unless you turn over your cars ownership to her, there is no way she can get insurance on it since you own it.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,642,677 times
Well, the law says it has to be insured even if parked curbside. Something is being left out of the story by the OP one poster.

My dad lost his licence for a couple years to a DUI(several). He hired a kid to drive him and the insurance had no problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance