Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Good Morning cyn and friends. I hope you have a peaceful and happy Sunday. Oh I need to remember to take the frozen turkey out of the freezer to the fridge today......I may cook it on Wednesday....or wait till Thursday....not sure.

I wasn't going to cook a turkey....but as the holiday gets closer.....I couldn't resist buying a small one. We are going to be serving T dinner at a community center on Thrusday 10 - 2 pm......but will probably have our turkey in the evening. (My DP doesn't really care for turkey or the usual side dishes....oh well I cant let that stand in the way of "TRADITION".

Cyn.....if you lived closer....I would be happy to send a turkey and gravy care package over to you and your DH. I bet he could eat a moist in-the-bird stuffing if it didn't have any chucks of celery etc in it.....and whipped potatoes and gravy shouldn't present any problem. A pumpkin custard in a ramkin (no crust) should also be enjoyable.
What a sweet thought elston---leave it to you tho say something like this! As they say--it's the thought that counts! I'm sure your turkeys are the best! To bad I don't live closer..smile..that sounds pretty tempting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
We are suppose to go to my sons house for Thanksgiving--we plan to but the weather isn't looking good so we'll see. My grand daughter called yesterday to see if we are coming and asked that I bring the creamed onions and deviled eggs..smile! If the weather is really bad I'm not sure what we will do and if DH is feeling under the weather but so far we are keeping plans to go. Fingers crossed!
Fingers crossed here too that you can make it!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Good Morning cyn and friends. I hope you have a peaceful and happy Sunday. Oh I need to remember to take the frozen turkey out of the freezer to the fridge today......I may cook it on Wednesday....or wait till Thursday....not sure.

I wasn't going to cook a turkey....but as the holiday gets closer.....I couldn't resist buying a small one. We are going to be serving T dinner at a community center on Thrusday 10 - 2 pm......but will probably have our turkey in the evening. (My DP doesn't really care for turkey or the usual side dishes....oh well I cant let that stand in the way of "TRADITION".

Cyn.....if you lived closer....I would be happy to send a turkey and gravy care package over to you and your DH. I bet he could eat a moist in-the-bird stuffing if it didn't have any chucks of celery etc in it.....and whipped potatoes and gravy shouldn't present any problem. A pumpkin custard in a ramkin (no crust) should also be enjoyable.
And maybe some mashed sweet 'taters with brown sugar and butter, or marshmallows on top... ( unless he doesn't like those, my DH doesn't, LOL).

My DH isn't crazy about turkey either, and the fixings- meh- he thinks we really need ham for those holidays. We usually get a spiral cut ham and fixing with that ( I take whatever requests we get for the sides and fix those, since the meal is somewhat non-traditional anyway). I must admit the ham's easier to fix and I find it easier to deal with ham leftovers than turkey.

But last year I really wanted some turkey too, and found small boneless turkey breasts on sale at our local Winn Dixie- half price! I figured that was a sign that we should have turkey and bought it. I cooked it in the oven along with the ham ( took about the same length of time, maybe a tad longer, if I recall). That turkey breast was tender, moist, and absolutely delicious. No leftovers, either, everyone liked it, even the usual turkey naysayers who ate that turkey along with their ham.

I'm going out to hunt me down one of those boneless turkey breasts again this year!

Hope everyone's day is a good one.....

Old 11-24-2013, 01:07 PM

I hope you find your boneless turkey breasts-we have had those too and they are really good! Just the idea of cooking and holidays brings me down......guess it is to be expected but it is only me that can bring myself up! That is a huge undertaking at this point but I must work on it not just for me but for DH too!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:17 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,173 times
Just bought one of those turkey breast for Thursday. I make a chicken and dressing that takes several days to get it all prepared, but it makes enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I do the sweet potato casserole with brown sugar, butter, pecans and coconut as a topping. Hope everyone has a great week and a wonderful Thanksgiving.

P.S. I cook the turkey breast in the crock pot! It is wonderful.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM

I think for many the holidays are not much fun---for those people I do feel badly and I can relate.....they will be over and done and life will go on so hang on..........Meantime I must try to try and think of others and not so much myself or my DH....like my kids and grand children. This has always been a wonderful time for us so it does hurt to feel so sad about it all. Maybe when I see my grand babies it will feel better.....

Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
It would be nice if you could go. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather and DH's issues allow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Hi Cyn and friends!

Fingers crossed for you to be able to spend Thanksgiving day with family!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Fingers crossed here too that you can make it!
That's a lot of fingers crossed... I'll add my wishes too, Cyn. I really hope that you'll be able to go.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:28 PM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times
Cyn....if you do get to go to your sons......remember to be up beat and not to drag the others down. I know you know that but it is important enough for me to remind you.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:18 PM

Yes elston--always a good reminder but you know my kiddos deserve the "happy" and I would be the last person to drag them down with my sadness. But thank you for the reminder--it is a good thing to keep in the back of my mind! I keep on a happy face!

Old 11-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I think for many the holidays are not much fun---for those people I do feel badly and I can relate.....they will be over and done and life will go on so hang on..........Meantime I must try to try and think of others and not so much myself or my DH....like my kids and grand children. This has always been a wonderful time for us so it does hurt to feel so sad about it all. Maybe when I see my grand babies it will feel better.....
Cyn, I don't think you'd be human if you didn't feel that way at this point, so don't beat yourself up for feeling so down. Hopefully, though, your joy in seeing your kids and grandkids, and being able to share these holidays with them will lift you up, and provide a joyful respite from what you are feeling right now. I bet it will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving