Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

I'm a little sad....I wanted to make DH his breakfast but he said we better not eat anything because his son will be bringing food if he comes....I told him I'd love nothing more then his son to come but we cannot count on that and my DH has to eat regularly to keep his weight up. He asked that we at least wait until noon. I just feel so badly for him but I have no control over the situation so I will just do as he asks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 10:10 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Yes, cyn....in this case that was the best decision. its after noontime now.....did he come? I hate that he would so neglect his father......and you have mentioned that his Dad did everything for him. Callous ungratefulness is hard to understand....but everyone has reasons.....so I will try not to be judgmental. It usually comes back to bite me in my butt.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,591,789 times
Oh, last night I was so hurt that my "ungrateful children" (not really) had not called to wish us Happy Thanksgiving! Then I came to the computer and I had failed to hang up the phone properly. As soon as I got it fixed, two of them called right away and the other one called a little later.

Cyn, hope his son made it. If not, one of these days he'll realize that he'll never have a second chance to show your husband how much he cares. Maybe he's one of those, oh I can't stand to see Dad that way, but we all know that's just an "out" for them. We all know how that feels, but hoping he will eat something and maintain his weight.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:06 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
My wife Margaret ( age 68) passed away at 7;15 this morning due to ALS
She was diagnosed in March of 2011 with a slight speech problem.

Since today is Thanksgiving, I am happy that her soul is now laughing ,talking, singing, walking, dancing in heaven while her paralyzed body left for the funeral home.

Please remember Margaret in your prayers and I will forever remember everyone with ALS and their caregivers in my prayers.

Doug
She died knowing how much you loved her. My thoughts and prayers for your Margaret, and for the loved ones she left behind.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning dear friends!
We actually had a very nice relaxing time with the kids and GK. DH did eat a small plate of turkey, potatoes and dressing. I just cut it in small pieces and put plenty of cranberry sauce over it!
Sadly my DH's son did not make it over--not even a call. DH still thinks he may come by today--we'll see and I hope he is right. He had me wrap a birthday gift up for him as his birthday is Saturday.
I think I was more tired then my DH when we got home last night...we made it here before dark which was good but for some reason the last few nights I have been exhausted. I suppose a lot of that is mental too.
I misunderstood your post elston when you mentioned that it really is not endurance--it's learning how to treasure what we have when we have it and I agree!
Looks like a beautiful day here today even if it is cold! Hope you all have a great day!
Sounds like you and DH had a good Thanksgiving, and tired or not, I can imagine it did your hearts good to see your kids and grandkids and share the holiday with them.

Fingers crossed that your DH's son will pay you a visit today or sometime over the weekend.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:21 PM

He came and his wife came with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am over joyed by this. I know they went to my sons home last night for drinks so maybe the kids talked--no matter--they came! It was a lovely afternoon and they brought us some yummy Thanksgiving leftovers but DH probably will not be able to eat the meats but I'm going to try to figure out some way he can eat all of the side dishes and I'll put together some kind of meat he can eat. They had ham and beef--both are not easy to chew or swallow. They brought two huge bags of food and a pumpkin pie which DH was looking so forward to. His son worked with us on trying to figure out how to tie down DH's wheelchair for the trip back to the guy who put on the lift so hopefully he can figure out some kind of easy way to hook the chair down firmly and safely! I feel so much better that his son did come by and especially that his wife came with him!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:26 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
That is awesome cyn! I'm pleased as well and overjoyed they both came just from reading your post it lifted you. Now think how it lifted DH's heart too. There are no straps attached to your lift?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM

There are 3 straps but this lift was for a different kind and size of wheelchair and does not hold ours down firmly. It needs more. Honestly a wheelchair access van would be the best bet but that is way out of our price range and we can make this work. Only problem is it's difficult to take the chair out in bad weather--but we can figure out how to cover it I'm sure.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Cyn, I'm doing the happy dance for you. So glad he finally showed. Let's hope it's a new beginning.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:49 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Wonderful that the prodigal son came to visit. That is so important for DH......may many mercies continue to flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving