Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 06:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I didn't read through all the posts, so you may have gotten this advice already.

First:
Old thread that got revived.

Hubby is currently on Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 06:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
ok, the part I didn't understand was having to pay NH. If someone simply CAN'T I don't see how Medicaid could deny it. Even if family COULD but refused to, I don't see what they could do about it, except go after any family member that received money and create a debt for them.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This confuses the heck out of me! I mean, if someone is in a nursing home, and there is no money to pay, I don't see how Medicaid could not pay. I thought they seized assets/monies that were found to be hidden from them. If someone has no money, they simply cannot pay the nursing home. So does the NH end up eating the cost?

How would someone get in a nursing home unless someone promised to pay them?
No nursing home would allow someone to move in if they would not be promised payment. Nursing homes aren't like emergency rooms that have to treat people who do not have any money.

When Hubby had his TBI and Medicare was paying for his short term rehab almost all rehab nursing homes refused to take him unless we could prove that we had $80,000 (or sometimes more) in CASH in the bank for fear that they would be stuck with him. And this was for short term rehab with no real fear that he would be there forever.

BTW, only one place out of dozens, if not hundreds of rehab nursing homes, in a several county area would take him. A one star hell hole that gambled, and won, that he would be out in 20 days.

Talk to an elder care attorney or your local council on aging for advice.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-04-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Dad was initially admitted as Private Pay, and then applied for Medicaid. We had already been looking into it (demential) and knew we'd have a better chance entering this way while the $ was still somewhat there. If you go in as Medicaid from day one, you can get a crappy place.

We didn't have to pay anything until they asked for the Medicaid estimate about 6 months later. Then Mom paid what she owed, then a monthly payment. It was finalized at that amount nearly a year later.

We thought we would have to pay much more. We had the house in a trust, but only 4 years. This would protect Mom as long as she was alive. They considered that she is alive and in relatively good health. We may have to pay back part or all of what Medicaid granted when she passes, but we will deal with that when we have to.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

No nursing home would allow someone to move in if they would not be promised payment. Nursing homes aren't like emergency rooms that have to treat people who do not have any money.

When Hubby had his TBI and Medicare was paying for his short term rehab almost all rehab nursing homes refused to take him unless we could prove that we had $80,000 (or sometimes more) in CASH in the bank for fear that they would be stuck with him. And this was for short term rehab with no real fear that he would be there forever.

BTW, only one place out of dozens, if not hundreds of rehab nursing homes, in a several county area would take him. A one star hell hole that gambled, and won, that he would be out in 20 days.

IDK that sounds insane to me. When my brother goes to a nursing home it's because he can't move. It's impossible they'd just leave him in his house that way.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
IDK that sounds insane to me. When my brother goes to a nursing home it's because he can't move. It's impossible they'd just leave him in his house that way.
My point is a nursing home does NOT have to take him (unless it is some type of free facility ran by the government that has to take anyone and everyone). i believe that the ambulance drivers have to take a person who is extremely sick or dying to the hospital and the hospital has to see any person who is extremely sick or dying.
But, I have never heard of a nursing home being forced to take someone that they did not voluntarily accept.

And, what nursing home? Hubby has dementia/TBI and his current facility charges $6,000 a month for private pay (which is pretty typical in my area). Well, there are different memory facilities on the ritzy part of town that charge $8,000 to $9,000 a month and I'm pretty sure that the fanciest one charges over $10,000 a month. If nursing homes HAD to take people why wouldn't everyone insist that they need to go to the $10,000 a month place?

But, maybe I am completely missing your point
or maybe there is only one nursing home within 50 miles of your brothers house so it is the only choice or there are special rules in your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

It took over a week for the hospital staff to find that one nursing home that would accept Hubby for Medicare rehab and until they found a place the hospital could not kick him out on the street they had to keep him there. Maybe, if your brother can't move the hospital has to keep him there if they can't find a nursing home to take him for rehab.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:59 PM

I don't know. I never considered this possibility. The way we think it will go is he will still have money when he has to go. Medicare will pay for 20 days and then he will spend down at the NH, ON the NH. I never thought about him running out of money first and how that would go. I just can't imagine. Seems like he'd start with a hospital visit, then Medicare would pay for 20 days, then he'd have to apply to Medicaid to start paying.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I never considered this possibility. The way we think it will go is he will still have money when he has to go. Medicare will pay for 20 days and then he will spend down at the NH, ON the NH. I never thought about him running out of money first and how that would go. I just can't imagine. Seems like he'd start with a hospital visit, then Medicare would pay for 20 days, then he'd have to apply to Medicaid to start paying.
I did not mean to scare you.

But, it isn't always as easy as it sounds.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:31 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Quote:
Who is 'they' who are leaving him in his house?

Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Who is 'they' who are leaving him in his house?
To start, the paramedics. If things went down that way. IF he ran out of money before getting to that point, and he was in there holding on as long as possible, and the day came that he had to call 911, they'd have to take him to hospital. From there, they can't roll him out in the street. A social worker is going to have to get called in to get him qualified for Medicaid and take him to one of the many places around here that takes Medicaid. Or rather, MediCARE would pay for first 20 days likely. So it would be the social worker at the NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving