Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 08:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Who is 'they' who are leaving him in his house?
Larger answer: the State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I did not mean to scare you.

But, it isn't always as easy as it sounds.
That's ok. Maybe I need to be scared. Scared enough to think of possibilities at least. Not be thrown for a loop later.........

Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 AM

937 posts, read 699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Don't forget, nursing homes usually have social workers on staff to help with all the paperwork. They usually know what they're doing.
Better change that to "sometimes".

You would surprised how much they DON'T know! Most don't even know what a "PACE" program is and none of them knew what a "Pooled Trust" program is either. I had to explain both.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:37 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
I have a couple of scenarios that I would like to present to see how the look back would affect them. These are just hypotheticals.

1. A married couple has 600K in savings, stocks, mutual funds, etc with half in husband's name and half in wife's name. They also own a home jointly worth 500K. Husband gets sick and needs to go to a nursing home. How would the 5 year look back be assessed? Would just the husband's finances in his name be part of the look back or would the wife's assets also be included?

2. A married couple has 600K in savings, stocks, mutual funds, etc with all being joint accts as well as a home owned jointly for 500K. How would the look back be assessed in this case?

Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 PM

I'd like to interject that people can create special needs trusts. Completely legal way to shield some assets. I want one for my brother, so there is money when he needs clothes, his ipad replaced, haircuts, just various and sundry things he won't have money for when he has spent down and they are talking all his SS check.

They are irrevocable and the balance goes to Medicaid if the person dies before they use it, but to me that is better than it all going up-front!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
I have a couple of scenarios that I would like to present to see how the look back would affect them. These are just hypotheticals.

1. A married couple has 600K in savings, stocks, mutual funds, etc with half in husband's name and half in wife's name. They also own a home jointly worth 500K. Husband gets sick and needs to go to a nursing home. How would the 5 year look back be assessed? Would just the husband's finances in his name be part of the look back or would the wife's assets also be included?

2. A married couple has 600K in savings, stocks, mutual funds, etc with all being joint accts as well as a home owned jointly for 500K. How would the look back be assessed in this case?
Every state is different. Frankly those numbers sound pretty darn high to think that someone would qualify for assistance because of being low income but every state is different.

In my state they have provisions made for a couple who has a spouse that needs to go into a nursing home. The impoverished spouse, in the community, is able to keep $50,000 in their name (cash, stocks, bonds, savings accounts, etc.), plus a house (up to a certain value) and one car and their spouse, in the nursing home, is allowed to keep $2,000. So normally, in my state, it is a maximum of $52,000 in cash, stocks, retirement savings, etc. combined between the husband and wife (and you have several months to switch it to the correct name). Your state may have different maximum amounts.

The impoverished spouse is allowed to keep enough income each month to pay for rent/mortgage/taxes, utilities, food and a little extra. In my state it is a maximum of $2,300 per month. Sometimes they will allow the spouse to keep a few hundred dollars more per month if their rent & utilities were higher than average. Everything else goes to the government.

I believe that my state started allowing the spouses to have this amount of money to help decrease the amount of divorces of elderly couples due to not being able to pay for your spouses nursing home care and also to prevent the spouse, not in the nursing home, from being homeless or not being able to buy food because everything that you had/received went to pay for nursing home costs.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-06-2017 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'd like to interject that people can create special needs trusts. Completely legal way to shield some assets. I want one for my brother, so there is money when he needs clothes, his ipad replaced, haircuts, just various and sundry things he won't have money for when he has spent down and they are talking all his SS check.

They are irrevocable and the balance goes to Medicaid if the person dies before they use it, but to me that is better than it all going up-front!
That is a good point. In my state, a single person can only have $2,000 in assets and it used to be that Medicaid would only allow an additional $35 to be used each month for extra expenses (now it is $100). For my aunt even buying a new pair of shoes would put her over the $35 limit that month and not allow any money for a hair cut or newspapers or magazines or new underwear.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
That is a good point. In my state, a single person can only have $2,000 in assets and it used to be that Medicaid would only allow an additional $35 to be used each month for extra expenses (now it is $100). For my aunt even buying a new pair of shoes would put her over the $35 limit that month and not allow any money for a hair cut or newspapers or magazines or new underwear.
Do you mean they can keep $100 from their SS check?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
Quote:
Every state is different. Frankly those numbers sound pretty darn high to think that someone would qualify for assistance because of being low income but every state is different.

In my state they have provisions made for a couple who has a spouse that needs to go into a nursing home. The impoverished spouse, in the community, is able to keep $50,000 in their name (cash, stocks, bonds, savings accounts, etc.), plus a house (up to a certain value) and one car and their spouse, in the nursing home, is allowed to keep $2,000. So normally, in my state, it is a maximum of $52,000 in cash, stocks, retirement savings, etc. combined between the husband and wife (and you have several months to switch it to the correct name). Your state may have different maximum amounts.

The impoverished spouse is allowed to keep enough income each month to pay for rent/mortgage/taxes, utilities, food and a little extra. In my state it is a maximum of $2,300 per month. Sometimes they will allow the spouse to keep a few hundred dollars more per month if their rent & utilities were higher than average. Everything else goes to the government.

I believe that my state started allowing the spouses to have this amount of money to help decrease the amount of divorces of elderly couples due to not being able to pay for your spouses nursing home care and also to prevent the spouse, not in the nursing home, from being homeless or not being able to buy food because everything that you had/received went to pay for nursing home costs.

But that doesn't seem fair to the spouse that is not sick. It doesn't leave anythingif he/she gets sick at some point in the future.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you mean they can keep $100 from their SS check?
Yes, but I'm not exactly sure how it is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving