Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 02:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Her insurance will pay 80% of the stay. The 20% is worth every penny. My friend's family captures her niece and force her into care to rescue her. It has had the side benefit of her staying on her meds now. She doesn't want to go there again. Even nice places. No one likes to be locked up. Though she has progressed to the point of voluntarily going in to one of the nice places when she gets manic. This prevents being tossed into an undesirable place. Even private places can be terrible. If they accept court-ordered people, then one is dealing with very psychotic and dangerous roommates! She likes the place that does NOT accept court-ordered people. She has learned to get in front of a situation so she can go there. Honestly mental health sucks, BUT I am sure you have a nice place picked out. Whole different experience.
Well, my mom has already been committed to behavioral health once and she HATED it. I will not even waste time threatening her with it again, because I'm so sick of her lying to me and pretending that she's "doing so much better" and then showing up at church with her clothes on backwards and her scrawny, wrinkled butt literally hanging out of her pants IN CHURCH. My gosh. Anyway, I will just do what I have to do and I am no longer keeping her in the loop, warning her, threatening her, cajoling her, trying to reason with her. Forget about it. That never has worked anyway, not for the long haul. All it does is buy her a bit more time. My dad fell for it all the time but I'm not going to.

The place I would like for her to go is where she also gets her outpatient therapy and I am going to talk with them about a possible placement when I call them tomorrow. We'll see what happens. They also have a waiting list but her situation is not critical right now - it's just irritating and sad.

I also found out that she may be able to take Risperdal shots once every two weeks. Now - she would NOT like that either but that would be a lot easier than trying to line up home health or whatever. She's never been on it though so I have no idea what her reaction would be - physically or mentally. Emotionally, yes - she will pitch a wall eyed fit. And I don't care.
http://www.risperdalconsta.com/bipol...ne-information

Old 05-29-2017, 03:31 PM

3,255 posts, read 2,342,420 times
Kathryn, why did your parents punish you by forcing you to watch the chicken be killed and that pluck it, even in the rain?

Sounds like your youngest brother was the golden child. Every dysfunctional family seems to have one.

You are to be commended for all the hard work you've done to get yourself together. You are a testament to the fact that we don't have repeat what our crazy parents did. Kudos.

Last edited by BrassTacksGal; 05-29-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 03:35 PM

So yeah, not a good prognosis for my mom.

Of course, if I can get her into some sort of program where they MAKE her take her meds, then she will improve - as she has done in the past when she actually did take her meds (sporadically, under constant threat from my dad, and still she tried to deceive and wiggle out of treatment within just a few weeks of turning the corner and obviously, clearly doing much better).[/quote]

Might part of the reason your mother doesn't take the meds is that she enjoys the attention she gets when she's 'crazy'? You have to do much more for her when she's behaving that way, like helping her to change her backward clothes, and talking with staff about her, etc.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Kathryn, why did your parents punish you by forcing you to watch the chicken be killed and that pluck it, even in the rain.

Sounds like your youngest brother was the golden child. Every dysfunctional family seems to have one.

You are to be commended for all the hard work you've done to get yourself together. You are a testament to the fact that we don't have repeat what our crazy parents did. Kudos.
Who knows - I guess they were trying to toughen me up or something - show me how it "really" is or how it was done in the "good ol' days" or something. The thing is, neither of them ever had to kill and pluck a chicken when they were growing up either.

Like my grandmother always used to say, "I grew up in the good ol' days - trust me, they weren't all that good."

Thanks by the way on the kudos - I've tried to live responsibly and take charge of my own life and my own actions.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Might part of the reason your mother doesn't take the meds is that she enjoys the attention she gets when she's 'crazy'? You have to do much more for her when she's behaving that way, like helping her to change her backward clothes, and talking with staff about her, etc.
Not anymore I don't.

I mean, I will talk to the staff and that sort of thing but she won't even know about that. I'm telling you - the pandering and babying and catering to her is OVAH.

She is in for a rude awakening.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM

>>>Thanks by the way on the kudos - I've tried to live responsibly and take charge of my own life and my own actions.<<<

Unlike your mother.

I am SO GLAD to hear you will no longer be catering to her. She is not too old to learn new behaviors. My therapist said she had helped people to change who were well into their 80's. It's never too late. If someone is motivated enough, they can change. And in your mother's case, you are only asking her to take her dang meds!

Last edited by BrassTacksGal; 05-29-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
>>>Thanks by the way on the kudos - I've tried to live responsibly and take charge of my own life and my own actions.<<<

Unlike your mother.

I am SO GLAD to hear you will no longer be catering to her. She is not too long to learn new behaviors. My therapist said she had helped people to change who were well into their 80's. It's never too late. If someone is motivated enough, they can change. And in your mother's case, you are only asking her to take her dang meds!
That's right - taking the meds takes care of a lot of her issues without even a lot of effort on her part!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, that's right and all that stuff is OFF. I mean, I don't want to change churches immediately, but I sure as heck don't have to sit anywhere near her (it's not a small church or a gossipy church for that matter), and I can make sure the same facility bus that drops her off at church picks her up as well.

No more shopping, no more going out to eat, etc. That's all off. I'm done.
Sounds fair enough to me. I get frustrated for you just reading your posts (that's how well you write!), I can only imagine how bad it is to be there and having to go through it in person.

You know you're doing a yeoman's job with your mother, though. (((((((Kathryn))))))

Old 05-30-2017, 02:16 PM

149 posts, read 553,401 times
Kathryn, I rarely post but have been following your account of your issues with your Mom.

On this latest matter of her stopping her meds yet again, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to tell her that if she does not take her meds -- the meds her doctor has told her she must take -- then she will *die*. I realize that sounds extreme, but the anorexia and falls that have occurred when she's been off her meds in the past could lead to an earlier death than she might normally anticipate. Do you think that telling her this might shock her into a sense of compliance that she has not previously had?

Old 05-30-2017, 03:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate4 View Post
Kathryn, I rarely post but have been following your account of your issues with your Mom.

On this latest matter of her stopping her meds yet again, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to tell her that if she does not take her meds -- the meds her doctor has told her she must take -- then she will *die*. I realize that sounds extreme, but the anorexia and falls that have occurred when she's been off her meds in the past could lead to an earlier death than she might normally anticipate. Do you think that telling her this might shock her into a sense of compliance that she has not previously had?
Nope. She runs at least hypomanic almost all the time and revs up higher and higher. She thinks she feels good. Can do anything. Is smarter than everyone. As she gets higher, paranoia sets in and everyone is out to get her.

She has been doing this so long she is addicted to being manic. Much like a drug user. Drug addicts know they can die, but the addiction is too strong to stop.

KA's Mom has not had dire enough consequences to fear mania. Which is good, but bad in this sense. Nothing has made her HAVE to face up to it like the brother. I am hoping she gets committed to mental health facility and that in and of itself might be a big enough deterrent to refusing meds.

If it isn't, she can keep going back in and having them force meds until she understands the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving