Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 02:28 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,775,270 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this, so posted here. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. I figured people here might understand my concerns.

Mom isn't in a nursing home. She is 84 and lives in her home alone and is self-sufficient. She does have high blood pressure and takes medication for that, but otherwise she is pretty healthy. She stays active and is very social.

She has not gone to any store since this quarantine has started. I get her what she needs. She loves to work in her yard and that has kept her from going batty. During the day, if it's not raining, then she is outside in the yard.

Would you think it would be safe if I took her to Lowes one day, first thing in the morning when they open and before it got crowded, so that she could pick out some flowers to plant in her yard or would that be too risky?

I'm thinking if she just stays in the outdoor garden area and away from others, she would be ok especially if that area wasn't crowded first thing in the morning.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 05-12-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:37 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I think it's good for her to get out a little. I'd give her a mask and make sure she follows social distancing.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:42 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
What does she want to do?

My mother-in-law is almost 82 and stayed home from the beginning until last week. Then, she decided she had had enough and went to the grocery store. With a mask, of course. She didn't ask for our permission and we don't think it's our place to make those decisions for her; she is more than able to make them for herself.

If she had physical or mental disabilities that made her unable to live alone, it would be different, of course. In that case we would be in more of a position to participate in this kind of decision.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:58 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
My opinion: if the trip isn't necessary for physical or mental well-being then skip it right now. Keep outings reserved for necessary things like doctors visits, dental, eye exams, etc. That is enough future exposure until corona lowers more.

Ask yourself how guilty you'd feel if she got sick after going out. Was it worth it?
Is catching a potential life-ending virus worth a trip to Lowes? Especially if she hasn't pushed to go there, seems like your idea.

Instead what about a nice scenic drive? She stays in the bubble but gets to see a park or something nice blooming. Picnic lunch somewhere there aren't many people.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:09 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Thinking of my own mom and our landscaping centers....Mask up both of you but mom stays in car with windows up and .... Can you get close enough to drive by counters and displays of flowers? We have many that spill over into the parking lots areas at this time.
Can you get out and show her flowers through the window? Can she stay home altogether and you take pictures? You can show them to her or have someone at the house to get them on their phone and show to her or whatever in order to do a virtual tour of the types she's looking for.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:17 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
I agree with Nanny Goat She should get out. Take the necessary precautions. Give her that. Life isn't really worth living if you have to live in isolation all the time. She'll love it.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, so posted here. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. I figured people here might understand my concerns.

Mom isn't in a nursing home. She is 84 and lives in her home alone and is self-sufficient. She does have high blood pressure and takes medication for that, but otherwise she is pretty healthy. She stays active and is very social.

She has not gone to any store since this quarantine has started. I get her what she needs. She loves to work in her yard and that has kept her from going batty. During the day, if it's not raining, then she is outside in the yard.

Would you think it would be safe if I took her to Lowes one day, first thing in the morning when they open and before it got crowded, so that she could pick out some flowers to plant in her yard or would that be too risky?

I'm thinking if she just stays in the outdoor garden area and away from others, she would be ok especially if that area wasn't crowded first thing in the morning.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Yes. You and she should wear masks, and you both must distance. Most stores have in place procedures to make purchasing safer. And, the plant section is mostly open air. Even better is if most customers are also wearing masks. When I go for plants, I also wear a pair of close fitting garden gloves. When I get home, I wash them. Keep the visit brief.

And on the way home, you could drive thru for takeout. And have lunch together around her table.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:44 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
My parents are in a retirement village, they are looked after. My key fob to get in has been deactivated for the moment. However, they do get out. When I get groceries I buy what they need. They give a list and come over and pick it up. Doing the curbside service at the grocery store.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
My opinion: if the trip isn't necessary for physical or mental well-being then skip it right now. Keep outings reserved for necessary things like doctors visits, dental, eye exams, etc. That is enough future exposure until corona lowers more.

Ask yourself how guilty you'd feel if she got sick after going out. Was it worth it?
Is catching a potential life-ending virus worth a trip to Lowes? Especially if she hasn't pushed to go there, seems like your idea

Instead what about a nice scenic drive? She stays in the bubble but gets to see a park or something nice blooming. Picnic lunch somewhere there aren't many people.
I agree.

IMHO, it would be different if she was really, really fed up with staying at home and constantly "begging or insisting" that she wanted to go to Lowes to pick out her own flowers. In that case, she may value her mental health and freedom more than the slight risk of catching and potentially dying from Covid-19. And, in that case, wear masks and gloves, social distance and only stay for a minimal amount of time.

As another poster suggested, can you take photographs of the flowers for her to see later or even Facetime or Skype while you are at the garden center and she is at home (so she can select her own favorite flowers in real time)?

Old 05-12-2020, 04:13 PM

663 posts, read 434,147 times
I tried to discourage my Mom from going out, but to no avail.

My mother is 92, living at home with my two brothers and one grandson. She drives, cooks and shops. From what she tells me she goes to stores 2 or 3 times a week and regularly goes to pick up food from restaurants.
I have offered to go to the store for her... no she can do it herself
She does not want to order food online for delivery. .. that really is too confusing for her although she regularly uses the computer.
I suggest others adults in her house could shop for her... no, they might get her the wrong thing.
She mentions that she needs something like an over the counter medication. I offer to get it online and send it to her... no thanks, she wants to find it herself.

I gave up. She uses a mask when she is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving