Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM

97 posts, read 210,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
When my husband and I were at the pet hospital one day, years ago, we were waiting to take our dog home after a procedure. We heard a cat screaming, howling. Wow, we thought, what's going on. They told us cat had just woken up from being declawed. OMG, we were beyond words. My husband said never, never would we declaw a cat. Not that we ever did consider it, but it was just a horrible thing to hear.
I've had 4 cats and they did claw up furniture on us--thousands of dollars before we got smart and just bought a different surface of furniture pieces. They liked the nubby type to claw so we got a smooth type material and never a problem. I had to put thought into what to buy that they wouldn't like. I put towels on other furniture in the den they liked to claw. Stuff like that. YOu just work around problems and figure out solutions like anything.
I had a similar experience sitting at the vet, hearing some puppies getting their tails snipped. I guess they just do it, nothing for the pain or anything. The sound of their little yelps was just heartbreaking. Just awful. I'll never forget it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
To the OP, I just want to tell you to please, if your decision is to give up the kitty, do not feel guilty. As long as you can find a good home.

I was in a postition where it just wasn't working out with a new kitty. While I was working with him in hopes things would improve, my friend came over and thought her mom would like him. She knew the problems. Both she and her mom were long time cat people who had had many cats, mostly rescues.

I gave the cat to her for her mom. He became a different kitty. She loved him; he loved her. It was a win-win situation. Of his various problems, I think the worst was that he was used to having someone home with him all day long. I was working at the time but my friend's mom was retired and could stay home and spoil him which she did.

She even had a tea party in his honor and invited her friends.

Even though I couldn't help feel a bit guilty for not being able to "rehabilitate" him as I had other kitties, I knew this was the best solution.

The cat was happy, his new person was happy and it worked out best for all.

If you find a place where you think your kitty would do better, it may be the best idea to give him away.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
catsmom,21 VERY good point about possible previous cats too!

id be doing a good thorough carpet cleaning with an enzamatic cleaner (ie "just for cats" by natures miracle) and see if that also helps reduce the behaviour.

i also like to smear dried (or sprizt liquid) catnip on surfaces i want the cats to use for scratching/rubbing ect.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Declawed cats are not mean, if it is down to getting rid of a cat, or declawing it, I am in favor of declawing. After all, this problem can be solved. Don't get rid of your cat, the chances are that he will not get a good home, there are SO many adult cats that need homes, and most people want kittens.

I have known of many people who have declawed cats instead of getting rid of them, one was a friend whose cat just scratched her too much, not on purpose, but she has very thin skin.

Jasper is declawed, all four paws, that is the only way I was able to get an apartment when I moved, I promised he was declawed. (note, I did not have his declawed, he came that way).

Old 09-04-2011, 08:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Declawed cats are not mean, if it is down to getting rid of a cat, or declawing it, I am in favor of declawing. After all, this problem can be solved. Don't get rid of your cat, the chances are that he will not get a good home, there are SO many adult cats that need homes, and most people want kittens.

I have known of many people who have declawed cats instead of getting rid of them, one was a friend whose cat just scratched her too much, not on purpose, but she has very thin skin.

Jasper is declawed, all four paws, that is the only way I was able to get an apartment when I moved, I promised he was declawed. (note, I did not have his declawed, he came that way).
Calling a cat "it" will certainly make it easier on someone's conscience when they have their cat mutilated. Jasper can't even scratch an itch and I can say with all certainty that Jasper has pain in his back and legs from the unnatural gait he must use to walk, and from his inability to stretch properly. You've mentioned that he lays around a lot. Cats hide pain instinctively, so you will never know how much pain he may be in until it gets so bad he can't hide it any more.

Jasper came from a home where they didn't even tell you his name, that just shows how much they didn't care about him. And ... in spite of having ALL his toes chopped off, he still lost his home, didn't he? Granted he is way better off with you, but it still proves the point that declawing does not save the cat from being dumped after all.

26 or more other countries around the world live with their cats without chopping their toes off. because it is considered inhumane.

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

However, the OP has stated that she will NOT declaw her cat, and for that I am thankful.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-04-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 08:21 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Certainly, mutilation of the paws is inhumane and should be banned everywhere just as animal torture is. One could make a case for blinding certain pets to make them easier to handle, but no one would think that reasonable. But, one cannot fault a person who has rescued a mutilated cat. But the whole subject of mutilation to make a pet more apartment or furniture friendly is just distasteful to the extremis. Something civilized people should not even consider.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Don't most cats just lay around most of the day? Jasper does not seem to be in pain...he jumps up on things, like other cats, has normal cat behavior.

I am not an advocate of declawing, but perhaps on the side of "pro-choice" in this matter, it should be a personal decision that a pet owner makes, not one that should be legislated. There are legitimate reasons why a cat would be declawed, as in the situation of my friend, who dearly loved her cat, but her skin was so tissue paper thin, she could not tolerate any type of scratching at all, even inadvertent, play scratching...The cat has an excellent, loving home, much better than being sent to a shelter to certian death...

Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Don't most cats just lay around most of the day? Jasper does not seem to be in pain...he jumps up on things, like other cats, has normal cat behavior.

I am not an advocate of declawing, but perhaps on the side of "pro-choice" in this matter, it should be a personal decision that a pet owner makes, not one that should be legislated. There are legitimate reasons why a cat would be declawed, as in the situation of my friend, who dearly loved her cat, but her skin was so tissue paper thin, she could not tolerate any type of scratching at all, even inadvertent, play scratching...The cat has an excellent, loving home, much better than being sent to a shelter to certian death...
My four cats are extremely active. Not just the kitten, the 5, 7 and 12 year olds are, too. They rarely stay in one spot for very long, and I always come home to toys scattered about.

Cats hide pain. You will not know he is in pain until it becomes too severe to hide.

There are alternatives to declawing, even in your friend's case.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i agre with catsmom21 on this, the only cat ive ever had that slept most of the day was a 13 yr old cat with FiV.
none of our 3 current cats sleep all day, infact i personally sleep more than they do and i get 7-8 hours a night...

declawing is illegal in most or europe and australia btw...

Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Declawing should be illegal everywhere. How would you like a joint cut off your fingers/toes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats