Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

I use a medium sized bucket: the cat loves it b/c it is the perfect height for her, and the dog can also drink from it comfortably b/c it isn't low to the ground. The only drawback is that it is plastic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I have one of these. Neater Feeder
I love how the "small neater feeder" and the "cat neater feeder" are the same product, but the cat bowl costs more ...

Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
there is nothing that says that you have to fill the bowl with water. Deep sided bowl with about 1/2 cup of water. See if they drink it all. If so, add a little more next time.

We had one cat that seemed to prefer drinking from the toliet bowl.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I have one of these. Neater Feeder I don't put water in it, and it's not exactly heavy, but it may work. Maybe you could screw the whole thing to the wall, LOL.

I don't think drilling a hole in a bowl is a good idea. One, you won't be able to get it out of there to clean well, and two, you will have the leak issue. You can certainly try attaching a regular bowl to something heavy (like maybe a block of lead? ) but I would say get a bowl that is flared out at the bottom and then you can screw down something that clamps that rim to a piece of wood or the floor itself or whatever. With the right hardware it would be removable with just a twist but not removable by the cats.
Thanks greg42, that is JUST what I need. Maybe I'll even get one for the dog because sometimes he is messy with his food. Don't these animals know that I am their assistant??! Thanks for the tips! This would be perfect to have in their area, and for the dog. I would never have thought to look for something like this. They have raised food thingies at Petsmart/PetCo but nothing like the Neater Feeder.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
there is nothing that says that you have to fill the bowl with water. Deep sided bowl with about 1/2 cup of water. See if they drink it all. If so, add a little more next time.

We had one cat that seemed to prefer drinking from the toliet bowl.
Thing is, we don't fill it up with water. I only put about a cup in there, it's a bigger bowl that was originally our dog's old water bowl. It's normally empty when I get home from them drinking it, but other times they play in it and then whine later when they get thirsty.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Use square ceramic baking pans. Put them in a low sided plastic storage box, one large enough to fit the bowl and the cat drinking. They can drag and spill to their hearts content, but the water will stay contained in the storage container.

If you screw the bowl to the tray, you won't be able to wash the bowl without picking up the whole tray, that might be a problem, if the tray doens't fit in the sink. I empty and refill the water bowls several times a day.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I love how the "small neater feeder" and the "cat neater feeder" are the same product, but the cat bowl costs more ...
Not a large amount, but that is weird. Actually, the "cat" one has even smaller bowls than the "small". I just got the small; if they had the cat version back when I bought it a year or two ago, I certainly would have decided that 1-cup bowls were completely useless! Pretty sure it's small; medium looks like a bit too big.

Also, I bought a bunch of extra stainless bowls because I just put them in the dishwasher after use. For the small for example you can buy standard 1-pint bowls at a pet store for around $2 or less each, and they fit in fine. I have around 8 or 9 now just so I don't run out. (Sometimes it's a few days before the dishwasher is run.)

Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Thing is, we don't fill it up with water. I only put about a cup in there, it's a bigger bowl that was originally our dog's old water bowl. It's normally empty when I get home from them drinking it, but other times they play in it and then whine later when they get thirsty.
Cats should always have water available. The water bowls should not be empty ever. It is extremely important for cats to be properly hydrated.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats should always have water available. The water bowls should not be empty ever. It is extremely important for cats to be properly hydrated.

They are properly hydrated. The water bowl they have now is a big dog's bowl and it is plenty for them. It's not bone dry when I get home either. I've gone on 3-4 day vacations and filled up the bowl to its tipping point, and it's barely touched when I get home.

I am trying to think of different ideas to have a constant supply of water to them though, so I won't have to worry about all this mess. I want to also get a crate bottle of water for my dog, since he's in his crate all day with no water either. But he is different, he won't drink anything unless he sees YOU drink something, then he's magically thirsty. I'm sure the Vets would say it's important for dogs to be properly hydrated too, but he just doesn't drink a lot. Kinda the same with our cats.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Use square ceramic baking pans. Put them in a low sided plastic storage box, one large enough to fit the bowl and the cat drinking. They can drag and spill to their hearts content, but the water will stay contained in the storage container.

If you screw the bowl to the tray, you won't be able to wash the bowl without picking up the whole tray, that might be a problem, if the tray doens't fit in the sink. I empty and refill the water bowls several times a day.
This is a great idea too. I actually have an old big Pyrex dish that I don't use anymore because my mom burned the inside real bad, so it's just in the back of my cabinet now. Maybe I'll put the bowl inside that glass pan and they can knock it around in there. Thanks Catsmom!!! Great idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats