Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijos View Post
my neighborhood, five points, is getting overrun with feral cats. The city directed me to the aspca or whatever to rent a trap. I only caught one, and the other ones are too smart to get into the trap. Unfortunately, they are now in my yard (fenced) and my house on occasion. What can i do?
d-o-g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
I would get several traps and put them in different locations around your yard or even in your garage if they are in there. Use tunafish with oil and smear the oil on it and put some food with the oil on it deep inside. The traps should be in protected areas, like near some bushes, under a low lying tree etc., just not out in the open so much. Once you catch them take them to the Humane Society where they will fix them so there will be no more kittens and if they are not too wild they will adopt them out.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,174,659 times
Do you eat meat wear any leather, shoes or a leather purse?
use make up?(some kinds)
A animal had to die or be used in testing so you could.

I love animals.
These feral cats carry disease that can be spread to your cat or dog.
I see no redeeming quality.
I do not understand spending money and peoples time neutering or spying them just to release them so they can kill my cat , chickens, song birds and fight with my dogs and spread disease or to be run over by a car.
They do not belong in the Eco-system.

It has nothing to do with being "mean' it has a lot to do with being realistic and dealing with a problem logical.

Feral cats are not just a pet that was dumped they are wiled, most have never had a home and they do not lend them selves well in becoming a pet.
sure there could be exceptions but in realty they are few and far in-between.
Bring on into your home and put your kids at risk if you wish.

You can hate me, but remember this, I'm getting rep points for saying what others want to say but they don't want your emotional wrath so they refrain.

I laugh when I read use a sprayer and spray them with water.
What is he going to sit there 24-7?

Seal up your garage, and close the door. call animal control, get a trap, then bring the cat (s)to the pound if you do not wish to deal with them further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I didn't know what I now know: there are some pretty monstrously mean people in this forum, aren't there?

Trust me, they will not change because of anything you or I say. They have no heart and are cruel to animals, that's all.

There is a lot worse I would like to say but will get kicked off the forum if I do.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I didn't know what I now know: there are some pretty monstrously mean people in this forum, aren't there?
The ignore feature is our friend.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM

28 posts, read 53,014 times
Alley Cat Allies

www.alleycat.org/response

Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,174,659 times
Sure is.
Sticking your dead in the sand can make any problem go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The ignore feature is our friend.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Sure is.
Sticking your dead in the sand can make any problem go away.
I'd hardly call advocating for TNR, giving suggestions on how to make it work, and volunteering to make it happen "sticking your dead [sic] in the sand".

There are plenty more problems with your "arguments", but those "arguments" are not worth my time.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Do you eat meat wear any leather, shoes or a leather purse?
use make up?(some kinds)
A animal had to die or be used in testing so you could.
Irrelevant.

Quote:
I love animals.
That's why you suggest people POISON cats so they can die a horrible miserable lingering death. No just that, but any other pets or wildlife that finds the poison, including children if left where they can come up on. The only thing you love is yourself.

Quote:
These feral cats carry disease that can be spread to your cat or dog.
I see no redeeming quality.
Most feral cats are not diseased. Stop spreading lies. What is your dog or cat doing running loose anyway? They should be at home or in a fenced yard were they belong. People like you lack redeeming qualities.

Quote:
I do not understand spending money and peoples time neutering or spying them just to release them so they can kill my cat , chickens, song birds and fight with my dogs and spread disease or to be run over by a car.
They do not belong in the Eco-system.
Nor do people like YOU who suggest poisoning them! Keep you chickens penned and your own cats indoors. Odd you don't mind your own cat killing chickens, song birds and fighting with neighbor's dogs.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being "mean' it has a lot to do with being realistic and dealing with a problem logical.
Logic? Realistic? You don't know the meaning of the words.

Snip...

Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
Do not exterminate. There are rescue sites everywhere.

I currently have two feral cats (now house pets) and our Lola, who died two years ago was also feral. Lola was definitely her own cat and did not warm up to people, but she loved her home with us. The two we have now, Trixie and Cassie, have settled in quite nicely. I cannot imagine them being killed because they had been tossed out.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:04 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,781 times
OP just be careful when dealing with them. Not saying all of them are like that, again just be careful.

Woman

I try to be humane as well when dealing with "pests" ( dog/cat/coyote, etc), but its a different story when it comes to the destruction of MY property or livestock ON my property.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats