Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

One link with an agenda is not, in my opinion "many reasons". I could match your link with ten that say just the opposite. But why bother? You can find anything to support any crazy theory, especially to do with killing, on the internet. And you can find the links that talk about managing and reducing feral colonies in a humane way, just as easily as you found that one.

Yes, if people would spay and neuter, and not let their pets roam, and not dump their pets, the problem would be greatly reduced. Killing is not the answer, because there are always going to be more jerks who dump their intact pets, and "don't believe" in spay and neuter and "don't believe" in keeping their pets inside.

Killing solves nothing. If it did, there wouldn't be a problem, would there? And inhumane killing, such as poisoning, as I said, is just people taking a sick pleasure in causing suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
You can't find one link that says feral cats are good.

All you can find is some fell~good ways to attempt to do something short of taking responsibility and dealing with this problem.

I posted facts that they are a health concern to humans and to your pet.
That they thrill kill whatever they can that includes your pet.
They are a drain on our native species and a unwanted nuance/liability for the property owner.

Killing is the solution, coupled with education and a active stance by the public to did us of these feral cat colones.

TNR is a flawed policy, any policy that lets them loose to roam again is flawed and inhumane.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot believe someone on here is suggesting that someone poison them and or exterminate them . That person needs to go live in a cave away from people . I would never ever harm an animal I would rather drive myself into a tree than hit an animal .. but that is me .
This. Some people are born missing something that the rest of us have. I think karma takes care of them eventually.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:14 AM

638 posts, read 992,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
As I sit typing this there's a happy black cat lying on my lap. When I moved into the last place before I lived here I discovered him; he lived under a porch. He'd come out and look at me but would never come anywhere near. There was a large colony of Great Horned Owls nearby so I knew it was only a matter of time. I set a live trap, caught him, and brought him into the house. I should have put the trap out during the day and taken him straight to my vet. He lived in his own room for three months and snarled and advanced on me every time I entered the room. Finally I managed to trap him again and brought him to my vet. After he came home I put him into the same room to do some recuperating; but a few days later he zipped out into the house. I figured out that he was living under the bed so that's where I left food and water. The food was always gone. About six months later I walked into the kitchen; he was lying on the kitchen counter alongside of my other cat. They were both perfectly at ease. Today he's like other pet cats. He likes affection and company. He's fine with my two dogs although he won't let my younger one lick him and play with him.

Before I won him over I had contacted a number of feral rescue groups. They all told me that it couldn't be done. But it could; all it took was patience.

There are people who hate animals and want them to die. Some, like Michael Vick, want to do it themselves; others, like this poster, just seem to want it done. The last time I heard there were two wild dog packs about fifty miles west of Denver; They're seldom seen and they bother no one. But there have been many people who tried to find out their location (a closely guarded secret for their protection) so that they could "hunt" them. Others want the "authorities" to "do something" about them. I hope there's a special chamber in Hell for these people. Animals have it hard as it is. The people who want to kill them or encourage their killing are beyond redemption.

Would I bring in another feral? Without hesitation. But remember most ferals are just abandoned or lost pets. They're just looking for someone to love and someone to love them.
AMEN! We have one that we took in off the street as well. Yes,he is still cautious and skittish at times but also delightful and loving.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cannot believe someone on here is suggesting that someone poison them and or exterminate them . You know humans are the reason the OP has been overrun in the first place because some human was too ignorant to not get their cat fixed hello what does someone not get about that ? If I had a neighbor like that I would be watching them like a hawk because the minute something got in his yard he would be probably be out there shooting it or something close to that ..,That person needs to go live in a cave away from people . I would never ever harm an animal I would rather drive myself into a tree than hit an animal .. but that is me .
Instead of watching your neighbors like hawks, you need to keep your animals inside & watch them like hawks instead!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:43 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
She's not talking about her own animals. She's talking about ferals, strays, and pets of irresponsible people. Some of us care about and watch out for all of the animals, not just our own.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:08 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
OP just be careful when dealing with them. Not saying all of them are like that, again just be careful.

Woman

I try to be humane as well when dealing with "pests" ( dog/cat/coyote, etc), but its a different story when it comes to the destruction of MY property or livestock ON my property.

Good luck!

I know this is an old thread, but the story of the woman above reminds me of a friend of mine who had rescued feral cats. She was bitten really badly on the upper part of her arm, but did not suffer quite as much as this woman had with her hand and wrist. People do need to be quite careful when dealing with feral cats or any other animal. I had suffered a dog bite from a beloved-family dog several years ago. Luckily the scaring was very minor, so people just need to proceed with caution if they attempt to trap ferals to rescue them. I would definitely talk to experienced people about attempting to do such things.

There are more humane ways to minimize feral cats in a specific area, it just takes a lot of thinking outside the box without resorting to killing them. And this doesn't help, when irresponsible people dump unwanted cats somewhere like that really, really angers me.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
More just move in?
Is there a waiting list?
The problem is people.
people who let cats roam
people who dump cats/
people who have outdoor cats.
people who can't make the hard and sometimes unpopular decision to eliminate them.
if more "move in" we eliminate them too.
think with your head.

No pleasure is taken in eliminating them.
It actually makes me mad that people like you put others in the position of taking care of the problem for them.

Your heart felt methods are not working.
It's time to step up and start to take action other than making opinionated comments.

I have cited many reasons for my position and I have backed them up with facts that you choose to disregard.
I agree with you here. IMO feral cats are the result of cat owners who let their cats roam the neighborhood then one day they get lost!

Old 01-05-2014, 12:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
I live in the country and that means the dumping ground for unwanted kittens and pregnant cats. Some people must think 'oh it's the country, cats love the country. Or look there's a farm. The farmer will take good care of our kittens.
In the country if Fox don't get the cats coyotes will. If that fails there are homeowners who have no desire to deal with feral cats and they will take matters into their own hands.
I can't imagine raising a kitten to adulthood then dumping it. Same with dogs. People seem to think that their dog will love living in the country. They get a puppy that turns into a 90 pound dog and they suddenly realize that the 1 bedroom apartment is too small. Off to the country for a ride. Dogs running deer typically will be shot.
I wish pet owners would think before they act. I am a dog owner and love my Lab to death. Not a chance she will ever be dumped.
The OP's problem with cats is not unique and that is really a shame.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I live in the country and that means the dumping ground for unwanted kittens and pregnant cats. Some people must think 'oh it's the country, cats love the country. Or look there's a farm. The farmer will take good care of our kittens.
In the country if Fox don't get the cats coyotes will. If that fails there are homeowners who have no desire to deal with feral cats and they will take matters into their own hands.
I can't imagine raising a kitten to adulthood then dumping it. Same with dogs. People seem to think that their dog will love living in the country. They get a puppy that turns into a 90 pound dog and they suddenly realize that the 1 bedroom apartment is too small. Off to the country for a ride. Dogs running deer typically will be shot.
I wish pet owners would think before they act. I am a dog owner and love my Lab to death. Not a chance she will ever be dumped.
The OP's problem with cats is not unique and that is really a shame.
Most cat owners are too entitled! In their minds, anyone who does not welcome their cat or any stray cat is evil!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats