Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times

Advertisements

I wish that we had a law requiring cats to have licenses in our burb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM

579 posts, read 521,620 times
Colleges are very frequently a nexus of feral cat colonies.

As long as there are thoughtless dumb college students who thinks it's great to have a kitten or cat and then move away and dump the cat there will be feral cat colonies. I grew up on the edge of college and we always found strays. Every spring like clock work.

Currently two of my cats came from a feral college colony. I worked across the street and one female and male broke off from the colony and set up behind our business. I eventually placed 11 cats and closed out the colony.

It's a fact of life. There's always some one who thinks they want a cat and then can't handle it or moves away. Students and adults. And as long as cats have a prey instinct and want to get out this will go on. You can't change human or cat nature. I have a cat from this colony who will do anything to get out. She has opened a window from the top by hanging on the edge and letting her weight bring the window down. (air conditioner window) They are now always braced closed so she doesn't open them. She has pushed out screens, ripped down curtains, ruined countless sets of blinds etc.

I deserve some sense of normalcy so she goes out now. She is a ghost outside. I had a neighbor for two years who had NEVER seen her. She's only out in the open in my backyard. She slinks through the neighborhood at night until she feels it's okay to come home rattles the door knob and comes in to sleep.

I have a friend who has dealt with a colony behind her condo in a Boston neighborhood for ten years now. They are now down to three spayed/neutered ferals. She was once a fearful cat owner, certain that if one of her cats got out that it meant instant doom. Her perception of cats is so different now. She is so more relaxed if one of cats goes out. She has seen how resourceful and resilient cats really are.

Unfortunately the rat problem in her neighborhood is now at an all time high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats