Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,865 times

Advertisements

[quote=ouijeewoman;27783147]Martha Anne I truly understand what you are talking about. I just had our 20 year old cat put to sleep and the experience left a bitter taste. I had to wait for at least 15 minutes in the waiting room before they took us to a private room. I was sitting there crying in front of at least 9 strangers. It was awful. And then it took at least another 40 minutes before the vet came in to do the procedure. I was going back and forth in my head over the decision. I was so close to grabbing Sheba and just leaving. I still have doubts. This just happened on Jan. 2, 2013. After this horrible experience all future euthanasia's will be done here at home. We are very fortunate that we have just found a wonderful mobile vet who will do this at our home. She came here to our house for another of our cats and she is amazing. Finally a vet who has training for cat nutrition. She also has Holistic and Homeopathy certificates. Angel hadn't eaten in 18 hours. She had been vomiting and had diarrhea. Ten minutes after the vet left she was eating and playing! Angel was given a B12 injection, Cerenia, Covenia injection, and sub q fluids. I feel like I've been waiting forever to find a vet like this!>>

I am sorry, ouijeewoman, that I took so long responding to this post you wrote. It was because I wanted to avoid it <sad> because it was so hard to read your heartbreak and agony over how it went for your deal late 20 year old cat. Please accept my deep condolences! You had your cat so long! This must be very, very hard for you.

Isn't it insensitive the way some vet offices make you sit there waiting for your darling to be euthanized, with your feelings exposed to the world? It's very, very inappropriate (being nice) and unkind (being realistic). I had to sit once where a family was with their beloved German Shepherd type dog, aged and very ailing, as they sat trying to be private and not look at anyone in their obvious enormous grief over losing their best buddy in the whole world. They young man, maybe 24, was sitting there with his parents and probably the best friend, his dog, who was about to die. Why should I be in the same room as they waited? Very wrong!

I envy you that you found a great holistic vet who does home visit, yet! Good! I am so glad for you and your Angel.

Again, I am so sorry for your terrible loss and experience, as well.

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Isn't it insensitive the way some vet offices make you sit there waiting for your darling to be euthanized, with your feelings exposed to the world? It's very, very inappropriate (being nice) and unkind (being realistic). I had to sit once where a family was with their beloved German Shepherd type dog, aged and very ailing, as they sat trying to be private and not look at anyone in their obvious enormous grief over losing their best buddy in the whole world. They young man, maybe 24, was sitting there with his parents and probably the best friend, his dog, who was about to die. Why should I be in the same room as they waited? Very wrong!

I
When my hospital was about to move to a new, custom-made building, the head vet took opinions from the staff on what features they wanted. Number one on the list was a euthanasia room. And indeed, the new building has a beautiful room with soft lighting, a couch instead of an exam table, and a separate exit so people don't have to pass back out through the waiting room when things are over.

It's the room we were brought to when it was time to euthanize Heather and it really did make things so much more comforting and personal instead of cold and clinical. But it's also something there was just no space for in the previous building. The old building started out life as a family home and only had two exam rooms and a treatment room (for tech appts. like suture removals and blood draws) that doubled as a dental room. If we made someone stay in the waiting room it was because we genuinely had no place else to put them. We tried to schedule euthanasias with plenty of room around them, but despite our best efforts if the previous appointment ran long or an emergency came in...well, there just weren't any options BUT the waiting room.

Not saying some vet hospitals just don't take into account how hard the whole experience is and don't have insensitive staff. Sometimes though, it's just a lack of space. Many vet hospitals were previously family houses and are poorly designed and cramped. The fact that an euthanasia room was at the top of everyone's list shows you how much we did care about this and how much we hated having to leave grieving owners waiting.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 PM

91 posts, read 190,371 times
Default Economic Euthanasia

This is what my husband and I may be soon facing.

Backstory:

We had two cats at one time, and we were both gainfully employed years ago. Our first cat was a very elderly cat who developed hyperthyroidism and ended up dying at home. The cat we have remaining got a couple of blockages back to back shortly after we adopted him in 2004. We were never advised surgery then. At any rate, we changed his food, and for 10 years, he had no problems. We were able to pay for both cats regular shots and exams each year, so, we were responsible pet parents as much as possible.

We moved out of state 2 years ago, and our financial situation changed. I work a part-time job and my husband is unemployed. Unfortunately, this same cat is now experiencing his third blockage in a 3-month time period (had one in October, had another one last month, and one today - I recognize the symptoms). In October, we changed his food to Hill's C/D and tried to encourage him to drink more water, but obviously, that didn't work, as he re-blocked in November and today. He is eating and still moving around (except when he tries to use the litter box), but that's about it.

We absolutely cannot afford to pay for the surgery to unblock him or the P.U. I don't quality for CareCredit (tried it - got rejected). I don't have any extra resources for income (No credit cards, no 401(k), no one to really borrow from, nothing much of value to sell, etc. One friend did pay for his un-blocking surgery last month; cannot borrow from her again, as she has THREE pets for which to care, and she also rescues strays, has two mortgages, etc. She was barely able to help us last month.). He needs care now, but as I can't afford to take him to an emergency vet hospital, the only thing I can do is call the vet tomorrow and ask about a payment plan for the P.U. surgery. If that does not work, I will try to call another place. Otherwise, he will have to be put to sleep.

The cat is 13 years old, and I am just not sure what else to do if the vet can't help us out. I did research some organizations that might help, but of course, you have to fill out paperwork, send in tax returns, but our cat is sick now. Pet insurance doesn't help because you still have to have the funds to pay for things before they will reimburse you. I will update the situation.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM

Default Update on Kitty

Kitty indeed had another blockage, but the vet was able to unblock him without any problems. Kitty has to stay overnight on IV fluids and a catheter, and we'll get him out tomorrow. Our clinic was gracious enough to make payment arrangements with us to cover the cost of the care, medicine, etc. I did ask the vet about surgery, and he seems to want that to be a very last resort, so with the treatment and change of food again, we're all hoping kitty will not get blocked again. Just grateful that everything worked out because it most definitely could have gone the other way.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:33 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Wishing the best possible outcome for you & Kitty.
Good luck & hang in there.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Unfortunately, the cat is blocked AGAIN. He did or does have a bladder stone. The food is not helping. The antibiotics are not helping. This has been FOUR TIMES IN FOUR MONTHS. The vet will recommend surgery, of course, at this point, but not sure if we can afford it (Again, don't quality for Care Credit, no credit cards, no 401K, etc.), and we're supposed to be moving out of state soon. They MIGHT let us get away with a payment plan....maybe. I don't know what will happen from here. It is getting tiring, frustrating, and angering. We do all we can but it's not enough. We have already spent hundreds getting him unblocked, now it will be thousands for this surgery. Since I don't get paid until Friday, will have to wait to take him in then and get the verdict. I just finished writing a check for the last payment for his prior unblocking! THIS IS TOO STRESSFUL! Will update Friday. Hopefully with better news, but not sure.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times
I hope for the best. Do all you can re helping him. I know this issue well, as in '08 we spent $500 just to keep our furbaby alive less than a wk. I realize money isn't there but this is soo worth the efforts. We never worried of not having things else, & just dealt w/ cutting back on other things to compensate. I know your frustration but remember this is the health/life of your cat, & no matter what, having him alive is worth anything that annoys you in long run. You'll look back fondly if you help him either way.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM

We have decided to try to surrender our cat instead of euthanizing him. Hopefully, we can do this, but with his medical condition, we are unsure if we will be able to do so. Sadly, we may have to end up putting him to sleep if this is the case. Will try to update as necessary.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
My heart is breaking for you. What a difficult, emotional situation you are in. Sending prayers and hugs.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:07 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Good article.

Well my mom took our cat to the vet today, the second time in 2 weeks.

Not sure what the problem is but the cat has not been the same the past few months. Not eating well, lethargic, losing weight.

The cat's kidney's have been doing worse the past year.

Another appointment in a few more weeks. Vet advised mom to feed cat boiled foods (noodles, etc.).

It may be time to put her to sleep if she doesn't get better.

The thing is, I'm more worried how my mom will take it than myself. Yes I love the cat but she took it in and took care of it the past 7 years. She lives alone and is very old so it was her constant companion, so I have some 'distance' to the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats