Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 PM

60 posts, read 246,566 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm used to people taking better care of their animals. I lived in the city and now live in a small town in a new housing complex out in the country. Evidently, a lot of people here got caught in the sub-prime mortgage debacle and one day they were here and seemingly over night they were gone.......but they left their cats. I already had two cats. My son (another animal lover) brought another one home (skinny, ear mites, not neutered , and somewhat gone feral) and I took it to the vet and got all those physical problems fixed. He's now a good cat and calming down. However, now I have two others hanging around my backyard in the same condition. I can't afford to feed FIVE cats, but I hate to let the poor things starve so I've been leaving a little food and water out. But this is ridiculous! Why do people do this??????????? I'm going to take steps to try and place them with a local cat rescue (if they'll take them), but I'm sure I'll have to catch them first. This will not be pleasant because these two are more wild than the one I already rescued. Do people do this kind of thing where you all are from or am I just some kind of freak that time forgot????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
So upsetting! I can't say that I know of specific people who have left their cats, but of course I know it happens and I know some people just don't have the emotional depth to bond with their animals.

We do have one cat who loves to travel. This past summer we were traveling 600+ miles to close on our new house and my daughter insisted we bring the cat, who loves to travel. Well, the day of the closing, we were tied up running to the school board, etc. I called the hotel (Days Inn, maybe) to tell them we would be late checking out, but we were an hour or so later than I thought. Yes, they thought we had abandoned our cat in our room at the Days Inn. I said "never" (never, never, never, never, never).

Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousmom View Post
Ok, so I'm used to people taking better care of their animals. I lived in the city and now live in a small town in a new housing complex out in the country. Evidently, a lot of people here got caught in the sub-prime mortgage debacle and one day they were here and seemingly over night they were gone.......but they left their cats. I already had two cats. My son (another animal lover) brought another one home (skinny, ear mites, not neutered , and somewhat gone feral) and I took it to the vet and got all those physical problems fixed. He's now a good cat and calming down. However, now I have two others hanging around my backyard in the same condition. I can't afford to feed FIVE cats, but I hate to let the poor things starve so I've been leaving a little food and water out. But this is ridiculous! Why do people do this??????????? I'm going to take steps to try and place them with a local cat rescue (if they'll take them), but I'm sure I'll have to catch them first. This will not be pleasant because these two are more wild than the one I already rescued. Do people do this kind of thing where you all are from or am I just some kind of freak that time forgot????
Let me tell you a easy way to find a good foster group. Go on Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. and put in your zip code like your looking to adopt a cat, then contact the groups listed and ask them if they are taking in any animals, tell the story to them that you told here. They should be able to find someone to take in the animals, list them on petfinder to find them a home.

I have adopted one of my kitties from petfinder, one had been dropped off in my neighborhood and the other belonged to the daughter of a co-worker.

I don't know how people can be so heartless.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousmom View Post
We have some stray cats here too and I used to feed them but you cannot get rid of them once you do. They hang out on your porch everyday. And now we have a baby cat and I don't want them bothering him.

Last edited by SandyCo; 12-07-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: moved thread; asking to copy it would sound weird now.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 PM

60 posts, read 246,566 times
Goldenmom: That's interesting that you cat likes to travel. My cats freak out if they have to ride in the car.

Lindsey Mcfarren: I tried Petfinder but the system could not figure out my location, which didn't surprise me. I live in the sticks. However, there is a very good "No Kill" cat rescue nearby, I just don't know how "full" they are right now. Additionally, I can't get close to these two cats hanging out. They are quite wild now, so I'll probably have to trap them. Until they are socialized again they are not really adoptable. I'm going to call the cat rescue tomorrow and see if they have any traps to loan and see what they have to say about these two. One is a long haired grey adult that is quite beautiful (but needs a good brushing), and the other is a younger tabby cat with a cute face.

KevK: I know what you mean. Older cats will sometimes beat up kittens. Also there's the whole thing with diseases such as ear mites and other things that can be passed to my cats from those that have not been taken care of. The whole situation really burns me up.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:30 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I'm in agreement that you want to trap them to at the very least see if the rescue could help you financially speaking, get them "fixed". If not you're going to have many cats looming about.

Yes, it's sad when folks neglect their obligations.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:44 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
i bet tons of people do it. tons of people do even worse than that.
so good of you to help the cats!
maybe people dont really care about their animals like they should. maybe they think the animal will be able to survive on their own. maybe they think someone like you will take on the responsibility? who knows what they think but i hope someday they feel shame and tons of guilt.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:48 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
i recently moved and of course took my cat with me. the funny thing is that the neighborhood that i moved from has a cat that looks almost exactly like mine so i always wonder if any of my neighbors think i just left my cat.
the first time i saw my cat's (evil) twin shocked me. it was after dark and i thought i saw my cat on my driveway so i called him but he just walked away from me! i thought it was odd until i heard him jingling as he walked away. my cat doesnt jingle.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
people do that alot w/ cats.
in the country where my parents are people will move and let their 4 or 5 dogs go rather then take them w/ them. my parents neighbors have 6 dogs now and didn't go looking for any of them.

nicolepsy.
during college I have a second floor apartment and a girl moved in underneath us.
we use to leave the screen open for the cat to hang on the porch. One day I came home and two tabbys where sitting on the bottom floor porch that looked just like my guys. ....I thought she stole my cats, then my guys walked out. ....turns out we both have a full tabby and a tux tabby. ...it was so funny.

Last edited by kelly3120; 12-09-2007 at 06:11 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 06:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
This is how we got our present cat.
It does blow my mind the way people just leave kitties, I mean, not even taking them to the shelter or anything. Just leaving.
Our former neighbors said that their former neighbors moved and left behind their cat, who was either a new mom or about to become one. The nice neighbors humanely trapped every cat except the little kitty who became ours--she always eluded capture.
I made friends with her and she became our pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats