Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats have very sensitive hearing.
My cats have selective hearing.

When I call them, they might hear me and come.

Usually they instantly turn deaf.

If I open a can of cat food they can hear it a mile away and come running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 03:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This isn't a question I desperately need an answer to, but it's something that has made me really curious. My cat, Samantha (just barely one year old), has an absolutely bizarre behavior I've wondered if anyone else has encountered with their cat. Whenever I am whistling a tune, as I often find myself absent-mindedly doing, Samantha will come up to me and bite my cheek really hard. Now if I were singing, I can understand why anybody would want to shut me up , but it's only when I'm whistling. She stares at me intently and then just sinks her teeth into my face. Does anyone have any idea why she might be doing this? Aside from the fact that it hurts, it's really pretty funny how consistently (like 100% of the time) it happens.

When I had a long-term cat therapist, he was decidedly negative about whistling....though he never got into physical discipline.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,917,240 times
The sound sounds like prey. If there's prey on that part of your face or in your mouth and you're staying still so she could possibly get it, she'll give it a try. Maybe you caught something for her.

But, let me ask you. Samantha sinks her teeth into your face. It hurts. I can't imagine letting that happen more than once.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 07-21-2018 at 06:05 AM..

Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow. I don't want to hurt her ears, poor baby. Maybe that's what's happening. I have had cats ever since I was 4 years old and I'm now nearly 70. This is the first time that's ever happened.

Well, every cat is different. Some have more sensitivities than others. Do you think you can break the habit?

Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,642,081 times
A “nip” from a cat is usually a disapproval signal. I’m not sure exactly why she’s doing it but it seems clear she disapproves. It could just be her (cats are wonderfully weird!). Maybe she’s a country music kind of cat and your whistling is like death metal.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
The sound sounds like prey. If there's prey on that part of your face or in your mouth and you're staying still so she could possibly get it, she'll give it a try. Maybe you caught something for her.

But, let me ask you. Samantha sinks her teeth into your face. It hurts. I can't imagine letting that happen more than once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
A “nip” from a cat is usually a disapproval signal. I’m not sure exactly why she’s doing it but it seems clear she disapproves. It could just be her (cats are wonderfully weird!). Maybe she’s a country music kind of cat and your whistling is like death metal.
I guess I must be a masochist. I've just found it kind of entertaining (even though it does hurt) and I was curious as to the reasoning behind it. Now that I know, I probably won't knowingly whistle in her presence any more. Most of the time I'm doing it subconsciously and don't even realize it until she lays into me.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,917,240 times
When she stares at you intently, she's wondering when you're gong to spit out the treat you brought her...the prey with the high pitched sound like a bird or mouse. She has no way of better understanding a sound coming from a human like prey makes.

Add into the mix the different way cats can see in the sunlight/daytime.

She may also think you're teasing her or that is your way of feeding her and that she is meant to grab her treat out of your mouth.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Well, come on. Who among us hasn't felt like biting someone who was whistling ? She is saying "Knock it off !"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats