Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 02:10 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He did come out sometime yesterday and took apart a Christmas wreath I had on the dining table. He only removed certain pieces, and he had to have been at it awhile. I also heard with some toys in his hole.

I got him catnip today and I'm going to put some in a sock in the kitchen - hopefully that might get him moving some.

I'm planning on taking Friday off and see if the vet can get him neutered then. I bought an animal trap and some canned tuna today too. That will be some time to seal the holes permanently. As long as he has these holes, I don't think we'll see any progress.

Will you have a box or some sort of new hidey place for him? All cats need one or more. Mine are totally socialized but still want to hide sometimes. It's just their nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 02:52 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Will you have a box or some sort of new hidey place for him? All cats need one or more. Mine are totally socialized but still want to hide sometimes. It's just their nature.
I'm debating what exactly to get.

The 20 year old cat has taken up residence in an old beer box turned upside with an entrance. I'd like to get him a larger enclosure type of thing. With that said, I never go into the loft and rarely into the second bedroom.

I'm sealing those gaps. They should never have been there. It was just cutting corners that he even has that spot.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:56 PM

I don't personally like the suede one, but maybe something like this.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...YaAsAMEALw_wcB

Old 12-14-2019, 05:13 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,421 times
Our cat, (‘Amelya’ sits in my lap as I write this) took about 5 weeks before she came out during the daytime. She preferred the base of an Armoire where noone could reach. She scratched anyone who tried to pick her up. We changed her food bowl. And litter box daily. We (wife and I) waited her out. We are both fairly quiet, and she grew to appreciate that. To this day, sudden noises cause her to find a dark hiding place, but she recovers quickly.

When we first got her at the shelter, they told us there were no kittens left, then my (adult) daughter noticed her little tail sticking out from under a box in the cage. She was very reluctant to meet us, but my daughter convinced me to bring her home.

It’s been six years now, and she has come a long way. She still runs for cover when our (adult) kids come over. She has plenty of safe spaces throughout the house.

I’m glad we were patient with her and gave her a safe peaceful home, and know she is too.
I’m sure your cat will slowly get used to his new environment, just let him take his time.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:28 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
How did breakfast go?

Old 12-14-2019, 05:31 PM

My grandmother's cat hid in box springs when I inherited her. Poor baby was used to just her and my grandma. She hid when company came. If someone slept there three nights, she would decide they are ok.

She was a very smart cat. She put toys in whatever she wanted freshened. Food or water.

No one believed me but I bet that if I failed to give her asparagus on Wednesday, she'd put a toy in the bowl for special food. She did! She knew when it was due.

Anyway, OP, I think this kitty will come along and form a special bond with you like my gma and her feral.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
How did breakfast go?
I overslept, but did the get sausage and fried it tonight for tomorrow morning. No change.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I overslept, but did the get sausage and fried it tonight for tomorrow morning. No change.
Poor kitty.

Mine that I got from outside wasn't feral, but he didn't want to stay in. He wanted to eat and go. When I trapped him inside to go to the vet, he hid in the laundry closet the whole time. Lie WHAT IS HAPPENING? I SCARE!

PS, maybe you don't want to use an actual trap. Those are scary. There are thick gloves that go far up your arms to protect you. I used those on my true feral rescue and got him into a regular cat carrier. The Vet sedated him in order to examine.

Plus, he might not go in one.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Poor kitty.

Mine that I got from outside wasn't feral, but he didn't want to stay in. He wanted to eat and go. When I trapped him inside to go to the vet, he hid in the laundry closet the whole time. Lie WHAT IS HAPPENING? I SCARE!

PS, maybe you don't want to use an actual trap. Those are scary. There are thick gloves that go far up your arms to protect you. I used those on my true feral rescue and got him into a regular cat carrier. The Vet sedated him in order to examine.

Plus, he might not go in one.
Exactly how am I going to do that? I can't reach in there.

I have ski gloves and some thick flannel. He can't get through those gloves and the flannel would offer some protection. Between the flannel, jeans, and long underwear on my legs, he'd be hard pressed to do much damage. If I could get to him, I could apprehend him if I really wanted to.

But I can't get to him at all when he's in that corner. Here's a look. He is between the right side of the rightmost cabinet on the left side and the left side of the leftmost cabinet on the right side. That's the gap. I took a picture in the floor. There's a monitor gap between the baseboard type thing and the actual cabinetry. That's not closed and that's his entry/exit point. Aside from cutting in from the back side, there's no way to reach him.

upload pic

picture sharing

Old 12-14-2019, 08:15 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. OMG, poor kitty and poor you! I hope he goes in the trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats