Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,109,240 times

Advertisements

It just never dawned on me that "resilient" meant that you could survive a four story fall onto concrete without a scratch and walk away with a look on your face that says, "That was so cool! I'm so doing that again!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
It was a typically beautiful Caribbean day. The palms were gently swaying in the midday sun and the view of the perfectly blue Caribbean sea formed a pristine backdrop as Nicholas soundly slept on the porch's wide balustrade with his front paws tucked under his chin.

All was peaceful when, all of a sudden, a large tractor trailer navigating the winding hill way below suddenly blasted its air horn to warn oncoming traffic. And Nicholas disappeared, fell right off the porch.

It was a good thirty foot drop down into the bush below and my heart was in my mouth as I ran to look over. There stood Nicholas in the bush, looking up at me with a totally bewildered expression on his face, obviously wondering what the H*** had happened!

To be honest, ever after that he chose to sleep on a chair on the porch instead of the balustrade...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,182 times
Darn, I'm a bit late in the story-telling festivities, but here goes:

My story is a bit more frustrating than falling off balconies, but I have a few roommates that became rather irresponsible. OUr house rental oddly does not have screens on a few of the windows. The one roommate opens his unscreened window often, but knows well to close his door when it's open because my two cats might find it.

But, one day I happened to be home early from work and it was a good thing I had. If I hadn't gotten there not two seconds later, I would not have seen my long hair female making her first venture into the neighbor's backyard. I droped everything in my hands (which happened to be full of stuff) and calmly called her name. SHe twittered excitedly, almost saying "Mom!! I am not sure where I am, but this is pretty crazy!" She got close enough and scooped her into my arms. I knew exactly what had happened. I also knew her brother might have had the same idea so I rushed to the backyard clutching her like my life depending on it. Thankfully, he was still in the window sill and hadn't ventured out yet and I could see the doorway wide open from the open window. Now, in control of the situation, I marched over to the back screen door and got attention of the boys inside showing them just who I had found in the front yard. I was vibrating with anger I was so POed.

After it happened twice more, I had had enough and locked them up in my master suite when I wasn't home to supervise. My suite is set up so they have all their things and plenty of room so it wasn't a problem for them. They just couldn't roam as far.

The roommates increased in their irresponsibility enough between that and other things; that I just moved out all together for my sanity and the safety of my cats. Good grief! No more roommates for me any more!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:52 AM

322 posts, read 1,270,896 times
When I had just one cat she was fine on the third story balcony. I never let her out with out supervision and she looked down often, but never even acted like she would jump. Then I moved to a 2nd story apartment. First day there she walked out on this 2x4 that supported the balcony to the wall, I watched at first in amusement, then horror as she turned around slipped and fell into the bushes.

Of course I ran downstairs as fast as I could, thinking the worst and mostly afraid that I wouldnt be able to catch her, as she never really went outside before. The funny thing is that it took about 5 minutes of calling to catch her, but when I did get her she was at the patio door of the apartment directly below me. Like she knew where to go, but couldnt figure out how to get back up.

I went to the hardware store and got a roll of screen. 30 inches tall and 7 feet long. Not tall enough to go all the way up the banister, but to make it so she couldnt get through. Even when I got the (Naughty) second cat the worst they would do is rest their paws on the top of it. Never had a problem after that.

At my latest apartment and no screen installed yet. I am keeping a very close eye on them as I let them out, and they both act like they want to fly off the banister. So I am off again to buy another roll of screen so they can enjoy the porch as much as I do.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
It was a typically beautiful Caribbean day. The palms were gently swaying in the midday sun and the view of the perfectly blue Caribbean sea formed a pristine backdrop as Nicholas soundly slept on the porch's wide balustrade with his front paws tucked under his chin

Love your intro .....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-18-2008, 05:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
When my daughter and I first moved to Florida we had two beloved cats. Nigel and Tootles. One passed away in December and then the other in Febuary. We went without cats for a couple months until someone said their daughter had a black cat that needed a home. I have always loved black cats and Nigel had been black as well.

We took him home, changed his name to Salem and he became VERY close to my daughter. Followed her everywhere, slept with her, talked to her non stop.

One morning I got up and NO Salem. I checked everywhere. We had left the sliding door open a bit so he could come and go through the sliding door onto the totally screened in lanai (porch). The doors were locked and the pet door was locked. Somehow he had managed to PRY the pet door open and get out.

I went out to find him ON THE ROOF. I had no idea how he had gotten up there but I knew for sure I had to get him down before my daughter woke up and was distraught. She was only 5 at the time and loved Salem so much. This was all happening at about 5:30 am, I'm outside with a ladder, in my rob begging Salem to come to me, hoping I didn't actually have to climb on the roof to catch him myself.

Thankfully I was able to get him to come close enough to me for me to grab him. I am not good with heights because I suffer from dizziness from an inner ear problem. I was HOPING that both the cat and I didn't end up falling off the roof.

Cats amaze me. He has managed to get out a few times. Diane of course being distraught, the first time I was too but he went and harassed a few cats around the neighborhood, some close enough we could hear his howling. When he would come back, Diane would call his name and they would run to each other like lovers. Its so sweet.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,011 times
When I moved to my place on the third floor I bought a roll of chicken wire and covered the balcony railings. Also I know someone who doesn't have a screen on his window and his cat tried to grab a passing butterfly and fell out. He is alright. Cats do fall and get injured and/or die. Better to take precautions.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Several years back I found myself at Disneyland, with my cat....(don't ask). Met up with my sister and nephew and planned to have a little mini-vacation before traveling cross country back to Texas. We were in the Disney hotel 14 flights up, and my then very young nephew opened the balcony door and left it open. My cat of course had to explore the only outdoors to her at the time. She was on the ledge, I saw her and rushed to literally catch her in midflight!! Needless to say I shreeked and yelled at my poor nephew on the hazards of a cat on a veranda in a 14th floor building. Thank god for quick reflexes, or she would have been a grease spot for sure. She was very agile (has since gone to her kitty heaven) and would across roof tops and climb very high into trees. Many times I would be up on a chair or ladder trying to get her down out of the trees.

My present cat is very large and not at all agile, but have caught her hanging off the veranda swiping at a squirrel or bird in the nearby trees. I don't worry much as she is only one flight up and would just fall in the bushes below. She loves her deck and would not begrudge her that pleasure.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
in florida there was an article in the paper of a dog with the owner and somehow the dog
fell off a parking airport roof and all was fine-it made the news! the poor owner!
I do think it was a lab!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats