Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times

Advertisements

My cats are not suppose to jump on counters, tables, or my stove. I came back into the house this afternoon from a door that leads into the kitchen. There was Zoey, I guess just jumping up onto my stove. I guess I scared her...but she didn't quite make the leap. Her paws hit the knobs of the stove...and she actually was able to push and turn the knob to turn on the gas stove!!!!!!! I never would have believed it, had I not seen it with my own eyes!
I'm now looking for something that will cover the knobs fully...It could have been disastrous...she catching on fire/burning my house down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Or escaping gas killing them! Can you keep her out of the kitchen somehow?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,440 times
I despise my electric stove...but after reading your post, Shelbygirl, maybe I should look at it as one LESS thing I have to worry about with my get-into-trouble kitties!!

But...the other issue with electric is the coils can still be hot even though they don't look it...and my one cat has been known to jump up there. She'd give her paws and low fur a good burn, I'm sure.... Maybe I need to get those metal covers!!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Thankfully there was no harm done, but I would try to find knob covers. Many years ago, our cat Reggie, jumped on the stove in the middle of the night and turned the electric stove. I think that's a little safer than a gas stove. Luckily, our Strudel woke everyone up before there was damage, but Reggie was so scared that he never (to the best of our knowledge) got on the stove again.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 PM

The knobs are all grouped together on the center front of the stove, so for the moment, I have a elongated tupperware container covering them. She was not only able to turn on the gas, but the igniter as well!
Need to see if I can find something better...but for now...there is no way any of them would be able to hit the knobs.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,759 times
lol!! I know that is bad, but just picturing it in my head of the cat turning on the stove makes me laugh. You are right, that is dangerous and bad kitty! But, what are the chances of it happening again? Well don't listen to me though, I don't want to hear a complaint of your house being burnt down by the arsonist kitty!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,180 times
They don't make knob covers, a liability issue, I know, tried when my son liked playing with them.

Instead, just remove them. They just pull off, except the oven control, which is tighter. It leaves the prong exposed, but much harder to turn, a cat couldn't bat them on.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,180 times
Makes me think of the time my kitty caught fire!

Just a small kitten, she walked right across the stove, past an electric burner that was on. Her fur singed and actually caught fire. Fortunately my friend was standing there, caught her and ran he under the water faucet. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, she had long, wispy kitten fur but it didn't get down to her skin thanks to my quick-acting friend. A horrible smell from burned fur, kitty was upset to be doused in the sink!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
They don't make knob covers, a liability issue, I know, tried when my son liked playing with them.

Instead, just remove them. They just pull off, except the oven control, which is tighter. It leaves the prong exposed, but much harder to turn, a cat couldn't bat them on.
That was my husbands suggestion as well. The tupperware container actually fits perfectly...just don't think Martha Stewart would approve of my re-decorating!
And no, no chance of locking her out of the kitchen. It is a wide open floorplan where each room sort of just flows into the next...No actual doorways.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Looks like everybody has a cat/stove story. Here's mine:

When she was young enough to fit, Weasie used to enjoy perching between the back burners of my gas stove. The pilot lights under the metal surface probably warmed it enough for her to feel, plus it gave her a good vantage point.
Even when I was cooking (carefully of course) she'd stay put. All it took was controlling the flame; pots of food could be cooking away on either side of her and she would remain unfazed. Then one evening - New Year's Day, 1993 no less - I got set to prepare something using the back left burner as she sat in the middle. No sooner did I turn on the gas, than a little tongue of flame SHOT out and zapped one of her haunches! That cat was under the kitchen-sink faucet getting doused before she knew what hit her. Apparently dust in the air had brought on the ignition and created the tongue of fire. She suffered no ill effects, in fact none of her fur got a chance to start burning, but being held under a stream of cold water didn't please her one bit. I was in the doghouse until bedtime for that.
Weasie continued to perch atop the stove after that incident. But from then on she skedaddled whenever she saw that I was about ready to use it. Once she got too big to fit comfortably between the burners that was that for that.

ml54 is right about the burner knobs. Remembering to remove them will solve your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats