Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 06:38 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I know not everyone will agree with me but I've had people in my life live to such an old age that they don't want to be patched up anymore. Sometimes I think the trauma of health work for an old cat is worse than allowing them to just be hospiced at home and passing to their inevitable death with as little pain as possible.

Recently a friend's cat died. For several years he was barely able to walk, in obvious pain, and she couldn't face the fact that euthanizing him would have been the kind thing to do. It was an awful thing to watch her hang on to him for her needs rather than do the right thing for him.

I know no pet owner likes to think about this.

Another possibility worth checking out. Some old cats lose their hearing and cry out loudly trying to "hear" themselves.
I had one who did that. She wasn't in pain, just trying to figure out what was wrong, poor thing.
I agree with you that we all need to think about overall quality of life as our pets age. It's not fair to keep them alive because we can't say goodbye.

I'm not sure this is the case with the OP's kitty. It seems that, without some blood work, that it's hard to even get an idea of what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 09:09 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Or kidney disease. Hyperthyroidism and kidney disease go hand-in-hand.
Yes waiting for blood work results, not diabetic, but hyperthyroidism or kidney disease, should know soon.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:00 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My first thought as well. A vet who doesn't do blood work on a 16 year old cat with these symptoms, nor address the dental issues, I'd be looking for a new vet.

Dental issues are directly related to more serious health problems such as kidney disease and heart disease, not to mention quality of life.

Hyperthyroid left untreated can lead to stroke.

It's excellent the cat is eating only wet food, (throw away the kibble!) so much better for her.

But she needs further diagnostics, and needs her mouth taken care of.

My cat gets a blood panel done every year when she goes in for her annual exam. She's 13 now.

Her numbers are always perfect.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:25 PM

2,619 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I have a 16-y.o. Russian Blue, very loving.
In the last few months she's become very vocal, meowing loudly, as if she were starving. I now feed her (wet can) food, as she averts the dry food I had fed her. She gobbles the wet food down like there's no tomorrow! But soon after, she gets vocal (again!) As if she were starving... never mind that I just fed her! She's also shedding small clumps of hair. I've had her to the vet, the vet cleaned and groomed her. Possible dental issues, but I don't know that I wanna have dental work done.

She was always independent, but of late acting very needy. As I said, she's 16 now.... I've had her to the vet three times already. I don't know what else to do.
hyper thyroid or renal disease. Since that vet can't find the problem then try another vet/hospital. You don't know that you want dental work done? how would like it if you had a disease like resorption which is very painful and it leaves the nerves exposed. Feel her head is it hot? that's a fever. She could have a rotting tooth that is also very painful. Please never mind what you want get her the help she needs please.

Also are you feeding her enough wet food not just the gravy kind the pate also and the whole can? Remember when the weather changes to being closer to the colder weather they crave more food. Mine always did every September they would start meowing for more food. All dry food is not good at all and it will contribute to constipation, dehydration. They don't drink enough water as it is so cool it please with the dry food. That is only good for in-between real meals and if you go out and can't get back home in 24 or more hours.

Please change the water bowl twice a day at the very least she may be thirsty and that might also be why she doesn't want the dry food so much anymore.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:20 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
hyper thyroid or renal disease. Since that vet can't find the problem then try another vet/hospital. You don't know that you want dental work done? how would like it if you had a disease like resorption which is very painful and it leaves the nerves exposed. Feel her head is it hot? that's a fever. She could have a rotting tooth that is also very painful. Please never mind what you want get her the help she needs please.

Also are you feeding her enough wet food not just the gravy kind the pate also and the whole can? Remember when the weather changes to being closer to the colder weather they crave more food. Mine always did every September they would start meowing for more food. All dry food is not good at all and it will contribute to constipation, dehydration. They don't drink enough water as it is so cool it please with the dry food. That is only good for in-between real meals and if you go out and can't get back home in 24 or more hours.

Please change the water bowl twice a day at the very least she may be thirsty and that might also be why she doesn't want the dry food so much anymore.
Good points here. I'm giving her a lot more wet food now. I didn't know about changing her water twice a day, but I'll start that. She goes to the bathroom regularly, and in her litter box. I'm taking her to the vet Monday - I did find another vet - and hopefully will get some questions answered.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:50 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I have a 16-y.o. Russian Blue, very loving.
In the last few months she's become very vocal, meowing loudly, as if she were starving. I now feed her (wet can) food, as she averts the dry food I had fed her. She gobbles the wet food down like there's no tomorrow! But soon after, she gets vocal (again!) As if she were starving... never mind that I just fed her! She's also shedding small clumps of hair. I've had her to the vet, the vet cleaned and groomed her. Possible dental issues, but I don't know that I wanna have dental work done.

She was always independent, but of late acting very needy. As I said, she's 16 now.... I've had her to the vet three times already. I don't know what else to do.
Does she have dental issues or not? If yes, why do you not know if you want to get dental work done?

Old 09-30-2023, 09:30 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
They haven't done blood work? That's ridiculous. I just spent 311.00 for blood work, complete, rabies shot, exam. he's only 8 lbs. He has hyperthyroidism. 2 possible treatments are an Iodine Radiation, and a gel that you put on their skin, which means in their ear, 2 times a day. I chose #2 which is 50 bucks a month for the rest of his life. He's 14, glad I found out, the pharmacy will send it to my home. He will go back and just a blood check of the thyroid.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:07 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Does she have dental issues or not? If yes, why do you not know if you want to get dental work done?
The last vet I took her to did a half-ass examination. Acted like she was doing me a favor by seeing my cat! As I've said, never going back to that vet again! $300 for less-than-optimal service.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:36 PM

2,619 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Good points here. I'm giving her a lot more wet food now. I didn't know about changing her water twice a day, but I'll start that. She goes to the bathroom regularly, and in her litter box. I'm taking her to the vet Monday - I did find another vet - and hopefully will get some questions answered.
Water gets dirty real fast especially when the bowl is on the floor. We never think about that because our water we drink is always fresh and not left on the floor in a bowl.

I would always wash and I mean wash rinse or use a new clean bowl of bottled water or the water I used a filter with like brita. None of this tap crap for my furbabies.

I did this every morning after we both had breakfast and every night after dinner. At dinner time I made sure I put two cans of wet food, not opened, in the refrigerator. I kept them there until bedtime. Then after flossing and brushing my teeth just before bed I put out a can of cold wet food with nice fresh water. Then I made sure I put out all their toy pom pom balls, toy mice and other toys they could play with while I was sleeping. They seemed to be enjoying being up while I slept. But my girl would always come and laydown next to me on the extra pillow for her next to me. The next morning both bowls of cold wet food were eaten. I made sure it was cold because I knew after they woke up during the night they need to play hunt and that meant they need to eat by the time they were done napping and playing the wet cold food was then room temperature which was just right for them. That is why I always kept my routine and gave them a fresh can of unopened room temperature dinner and breakfast. I kept Rx dry food out but not to much. I learned that when I ended up in the hospital unexpectedly for a few days.

Please let us know what the new vet finds.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:36 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
The last vet I took her to did a half-ass examination. Acted like she was doing me a favor by seeing my cat! As I've said, never going back to that vet again! $300 for less-than-optimal service.
Typical, at least near me. Always $300 range, too. Please let us know if she's OK, and I hope you have better success with the new vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats