Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 02:32 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,822 times

Advertisements

I have a 16-y.o. Russian Blue, very loving.
In the last few months she's become very vocal, meowing loudly, as if she were starving. I now feed her (wet can) food, as she averts the dry food I had fed her. She gobbles the wet food down like there's no tomorrow! But soon after, she gets vocal (again!) As if she were starving... never mind that I just fed her! She's also shedding small clumps of hair. I've had her to the vet, the vet cleaned and groomed her. Possible dental issues, but I don't know that I wanna have dental work done.

She was always independent, but of late acting very needy. As I said, she's 16 now.... I've had her to the vet three times already. I don't know what else to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 02:37 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
I'm sorry for asking the obvious, but you didn't mention it...did the vet actually take blood samples and get results?

Did they offer any ideas or input?

If not, I think I'd take my pet to another vet.

I'm not a cat person so I'm not as familiar with how they act when they aren't well...but it sounds to me like your kitty is trying to tell you something is off. You know your cat better than anyone...get a second opinion.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:16 PM

496 posts, read 328,773 times
I just watched a video on the 10 Signs Your Cat is Sick and #5 is what you're describing. The vet says the three most common causes are Diabetes Mellitus, Hyperthyroidism and Cushing's.

Fortunately, these are all hormonal and can be treated with medication. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/rR6aXt-bRGs?si=j6p_AsgRBxtITDbK

Old 09-25-2023, 04:47 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I'm sorry for asking the obvious, but you didn't mention it...did the vet actually take blood samples and get results?

Did they offer any ideas or input?

If not, I think I'd take my pet to another vet.

I'm not a cat person so I'm not as familiar with how they act when they aren't well...but it sounds to me like your kitty is trying to tell you something is off. You know your cat better than anyone...get a second opinion.
Yes, I'd get a second opinion. I took our Molly to four vets and none of them knew what Dr. Pol knows when he sees a big ugly red eye.

FINALLY got a biopsy, when they put her under again to remove the cancerous eye she did not do well with the anesthesia and they snapped her back out. At age 19 I would think a vet would be smart enough to not risk two anesthesia sessions. They should have put her under, removed the eye--it was not functioning as an eye any longer--and been done in one.
Anesthesia is risky enough for a healthy animal. Or hoomin.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
Sounds like hyperthyroidism, which is very common in cats as they age. But, honestly, it could be a ton of other things.

I agree that you need a second opinion. Your current vet is not addressing what could be a very serious illness.

Old 09-26-2023, 05:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Sounds like hyperthyroidism, which is very common in cats as they age. But, honestly, it could be a ton of other things.

I agree that you need a second opinion. Your current vet is not addressing what could be a very serious illness.

My first thought as well. A vet who doesn't do blood work on a 16 year old cat with these symptoms, nor address the dental issues, I'd be looking for a new vet.

Dental issues are directly related to more serious health problems such as kidney disease and heart disease, not to mention quality of life.

Hyperthyroid left untreated can lead to stroke.

It's excellent the cat is eating only wet food, (throw away the kibble!) so much better for her.

But she needs further diagnostics, and needs her mouth taken care of.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:04 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,930,107 times
I agree with everyone else in saying to see another vet.

You can have dental work done on a cat of that age, but blood work would tell you for sure. I'm sure the vet would want to get her thyroid levels normalized if indeed she is hyperthyroid--before doing any sort of procedure.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:45 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
I know not everyone will agree with me but I've had people in my life live to such an old age that they don't want to be patched up anymore. Sometimes I think the trauma of health work for an old cat is worse than allowing them to just be hospiced at home and passing to their inevitable death with as little pain as possible.

Recently a friend's cat died. For several years he was barely able to walk, in obvious pain, and she couldn't face the fact that euthanizing him would have been the kind thing to do. It was an awful thing to watch her hang on to him for her needs rather than do the right thing for him.

I know no pet owner likes to think about this.

Another possibility worth checking out. Some old cats lose their hearing and cry out loudly trying to "hear" themselves.
I had one who did that. She wasn't in pain, just trying to figure out what was wrong, poor thing.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:33 AM

36,428 posts, read 16,038,061 times
Well after reading this thread, I just made an appt. for George, 14. He's skinny as a rail, eats like a pig and pees outside the box, aside from that everything is normal. He jumps, hunts, plays. I understand OP about the yelling at you right after he eats, George is a talker, but he'll get under the table and bite my ankles, acts starving all the time. I'm thinking diabetes as he is drinking a lot of water too. He will urinate outside but at least 3 times in the laundry room where the cat box is.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:00 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Well after reading this thread, I just made an appt. for George, 14. He's skinny as a rail, eats like a pig and pees outside the box, aside from that everything is normal. He jumps, hunts, plays. I understand OP about the yelling at you right after he eats, George is a talker, but he'll get under the table and bite my ankles, acts starving all the time. I'm thinking diabetes as he is drinking a lot of water too. He will urinate outside but at least 3 times in the laundry room where the cat box is.
Or kidney disease. Hyperthyroidism and kidney disease go hand-in-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats