Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 07:16 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,398,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My first thought as well. A vet who doesn't do blood work on a 16 year old cat with these symptoms, nor address the dental issues, I'd be looking for a new vet.

Dental issues are directly related to more serious health problems such as kidney disease and heart disease, not to mention quality of life.

Hyperthyroid left untreated can lead to stroke.

It's excellent the cat is eating only wet food, (throw away the kibble!) so much better for her.

But she needs further diagnostics, and needs her mouth taken care of.
Dental issues aren't always related at all to more serious health problems. They can be. But it's not a given. Half my cat's teeth fell out before she turned two (which is when she was given to us). I finally had the rest of them pulled a couple of months ago, she's 10 now. One had broken off at the gumline and had become infected. Another was turning brown. Another was growing up against her sinus and causing pain. And all her little front teeth were loose. She isn't anemic. She just is one of those cats that can't hold their teeth in their mouths. Tooth resorption is common in cats, and some cats have it worse than others.

Since she only eats pate or rehydrated freeze-dried raw anyway, she's not missing out on her teeth at all. I only brought her to the vet because she started drinking water for the first time since I got her (which was when she was two). I worried she might have a kidney infection. But no, all her bloodwork is 100% perfect, she's two pounds overweight, but she's otherwise fine.

Dental diseases can be debilitating and can cause disease, they're not just a symptom of other non-dental diseases. If the cats need their teeth cleaned or pulled or ground off, then they need to have that done to prevent other problems such as infection, sepsis, nerve disorders, jaw and bone problems that can result in not wanting to eat - and ultimate starvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 09:48 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,006 times
Well, I got her to the vet. Had blood work done and her white cells are elevated. No signs of hyperthyroidism, but the vet was offering more intense tests done - which would be well over $1,000! He did give me meds (liquid) to give her, which is to be mixed with her food. However, when I do put it in (A drop, at that), she won't eat it. I think maybe she smells the med in her food? So tomorrow, I'm buying some tuna (which she loves) and will try to "decoy" by mixing it in with the tuna. She's still a little vocal, but not as intense as before.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:19 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times
I hope you get the meds in her. At 16, going down that intense tests road is something I'd try to avoid, mostly because there seems to be no end to it, and no significant benefit to the patients, who are just getting old.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:03 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Well, I got her to the vet. Had blood work done and her white cells are elevated. No signs of hyperthyroidism, but the vet was offering more intense tests done - which would be well over $1,000! He did give me meds (liquid) to give her, which is to be mixed with her food. However, when I do put it in (A drop, at that), she won't eat it. I think maybe she smells the med in her food? So tomorrow, I'm buying some tuna (which she loves) and will try to "decoy" by mixing it in with the tuna. She's still a little vocal, but not as intense as before.

What kind of medication is it???

My cat "Bunny Rabbit Kitty" last year suddenly quit eating her dry food (she is almost 17 now). Never before was I ever able to get her to eat any kind of wet food (and I tried 50 different kinds). She would not touch it. She suddenly switched herself to wet food (her brother's high protein wet food). A few weeks later I had her at her cat dentist (because her brother, a rescue, had bad teeth and we saw the cat dentist several times to stabilize his mouth). Well, as it turns out, Bunny had three of her little tiny teeth on the bottom cracked. Poor thing was in a lot of pain (and switched herself to wet food). She is also Stage 2 kidney disease.

About three years prior to all this she was pulling her fur out. She was also limping. I discovered this MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitin Liquid for cats on Amazon. I put her on that and it started to help within just three days (I still give her that a couple times a day). The fur pulling and limping (a minor amount of it) began again. I decided to have her Xrayed. She has arthritis of the lumbar sacral spine (where the tail meets the spine). So, she's on regular doses of Gabapentin (because I want to keep her comfortable in her old age). She has other meds that I pulse for her chronic conjunctivitis / allergies. Bunny has always been high maintenance for one reason or another (but, this is getting long).

The MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitin and Gabapentin keep her moving and in less pain (and with a full body of fur). She is an old kitty and sleeps a lot.

She stopped eating and I thought she was circling the drain. She stopped grooming herself. I started baking her organic chicken breast (I prepare and store cubed chicken pieces in small freezer bags wrapped in freezer paper). I bathe her when she cannot keep up. The chicken breast is in addition to the wet cat food, greenies, and her brother's dry cat food (she occasionally takes a bite of). They seem to get pickier about food the older they get.

It took a lot of attention to get her back on track. It's all a balancing act and having a super senior kitty is not easy. You are a caregiver. It's costly. People do not realize the expense of really caring for fur children (and it keeps getting more expensive). But, for a loved one that you are responsible for I have needed to expand the budget to keep my animal comfortable (who is not ready to die and keeps rallying back). I explain to her that I will do everything to keep her around as long as she wants; but, she does not need to stay just for me and Bailee (and we will let her go when she needs to go). Don't get me wrong as I would not have her cut open or put on cancer treatments or anything that would not be a reasonable thing to do (that I would not want for myself if it were me). Some things I would not do regardless of finances. But, in the real world there are financial limits and it is not a situation where money is no object. But, it is a situation where instead of all the vet care for the two cats and dental work for myself I could have had a very nice luxury car (instead we have health care and our dentists have very nice luxury cars ).

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 10-04-2023 at 12:12 AM..

Old 10-04-2023, 04:30 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post

What kind of meds? What is the cause of the elevated WBC? What about her mouth/teeth?

Old 10-04-2023, 06:26 AM

36,416 posts, read 16,024,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
They haven't done blood work? That's ridiculous. I just spent 311.00 for blood work, complete, rabies shot, exam. he's only 8 lbs. He has hyperthyroidism. 2 possible treatments are an Iodine Radiation, and a gel that you put on their skin, which means in their ear, 2 times a day. I chose #2 which is 50 bucks a month for the rest of his life. He's 14, glad I found out, the pharmacy will send it to my home. He will go back and just a blood check of the thyroid.
Just found out I can get generic pills at Chewy for 14.00 a month, instead of 51.00 a month. should receive the gel today or tomorrow. Pills may be difficult to give but he's tiny and i can do it. or maybe crush it in his food.. We'll see. My full blood panel was 311.00. The med is Methimazole, suppose to slow down the thyroid. We'll see.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:30 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
Quote:
Just found out I can get generic pills at Chewy for 14.00 a month, instead of 51.00 a month. should receive the gel today or tomorrow. Pills may be difficult to but he's tiny and i can do it. or maybe crush it in his food.. We'll see. My full blood panel was 311.00.
Sounds like you found a good option. But for others who maybe didn't know, always ask your vet for a written script. Many pet medications are available at Walmart for a fraction of the cost at your vet. And if I remember correctly, some of those free discount prescription cards can be used for pet meds.

Old 10-04-2023, 06:43 AM

36,416 posts, read 16,024,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Sounds like you found a good option. But for others who maybe didn't know, always ask your vet for a written script. Many pet medications are available at Walmart for a fraction of the cost at your vet. And if I remember correctly, some of those free discount prescription cards can be used for pet meds.
Chewy will call Vet to confirm RX, I don't need to scan or anything, that I know of

Old 10-04-2023, 09:36 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
FYI - I have a friend that got a chronic kidney disease diagnosis on her cat 10 years ago. She swears by adding lots of water (she calls gravy) to various wet cat foods (especially the Fancy Feast). The cat is 23 years old and she told me to focus on getting water in my cat.

Bunny is in Stage 2 and I have them on "Cat Water" now. It's kind of expensive. But, it does make them drink more.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:30 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Just found out I can get generic pills at Chewy for 14.00 a month, instead of 51.00 a month. should receive the gel today or tomorrow. Pills may be difficult to give but he's tiny and i can do it. or maybe crush it in his food.. We'll see. My full blood panel was 311.00. The med is Methimazole, suppose to slow down the thyroid. We'll see.

Crushing is not advisable for methimazole. It needs to be given and absorbed at regular intervals. Crushing can also interfere with the amount absorbed, and wil make it taste even more bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats