Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 11:50 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I feel just the opposite: What a great owner I am feeding my cat(s) properly so they have perfect labs!
I admit, I'm also happy on that score, the all wet food diet seems to be paying off.

My poor mother had a terrible thing happen. I won't go into details because honestly it was actually rather distressing to listen to her talk about what happened...all I'm going to say is this:

People with cats should consider NOT EVEN OWNING reclining chairs. There was a fatality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 11:57 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I admit, I'm also happy on that score, the all wet food diet seems to be paying off.

My poor mother had a terrible thing happen. I won't go into details because honestly it was actually rather distressing to listen to her talk about what happened...all I'm going to say is this:

People with cats should consider NOT EVEN OWNING reclining chairs. There was a fatality.

OMG, your poor mother. My condolences.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
OMG, your poor mother. My condolences.
Thank you.

She's been so heartbroken she is refusing to leave her bedroom, and having her boyfriend bring her meals and feed their other cats and so on.

I think that it's easy to forget sometimes, how much we need to "childproof" our homes for cats. I know someone who lost a cat to a loose piece of string.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:20 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times

Old 02-16-2021, 10:37 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Your mother has my deepest sympathies.

I recently heard about a neighbor who allows her cats outside, whose cat got out wearing a leash.........another neighbor found it the next morning........a tree was involved. This was told to me at an outside chat among 3 neighbors (all social distancing, BTW) when the aforementioned neighbor was out looking for another cat that had gotten out and was last seen in another neighbor's yard. Sounds like she wants her cats to be inside now? SMH. Made me angry to hear this and then to have her looking for another......some people shouldn't own pets, IMO.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Your mother has my deepest sympathies.

I recently heard about a neighbor who allows her cats outside, whose cat got out wearing a leash.........another neighbor found it the next morning........a tree was involved. This was told to me at an outside chat among 3 neighbors (all social distancing, BTW) when the aforementioned neighbor was out looking for another cat that had gotten out and was last seen in another neighbor's yard. Sounds like she wants her cats to be inside now? SMH. Made me angry to hear this and then to have her looking for another......some people shouldn't own pets, IMO.
Yeah, I have a hard time not getting into arguments with people about letting cats out. Not only (in my opinion) is it really bad for the cats, which to me is the most significant reason not to do that, but I think that letting your pets, or for that matter your children, basically entities that you are responsible for, roam free and be a potential nuisance to your neighbors, is irresponsible. I had neighborhood cats, likely not ferals, but belonging to someone, crapping in my backyard constantly at a house I used to live in.

And while I am a careful driver, accidents happen, and I don't want to be the person who hits a cat on the road, because someone thought it was necessary to let their cat be outside unsupervised.

Besides which, actually walking a cat using a jacket and leash seems so much cooler, to me. I don't, because Nimbus is horrified at the very concept of "outside." I'm lucky...he won't escape even given the chance, apparently, though we try not to create those opportunities. Once when my sons were younger, a friend of theirs came to visit and left the front door just standing wide open. (Apparently some kids ARE raised in barns?) and I got home and immediately freaked, because of course I thought Nimbus probably got out... But the moment I stepped across the threshold, there was the cat, sitting on the inside steps that go upstairs, which are right by the front door, staring in great concern and alarm at the open door. He does not like it when things are significantly different in his home or his routine. He knew that door wasn't supposed to be open, and he was pretty upset about what might get in from the big, scary outside!

Also, the way he watches the birds and squirrels reminds me of an old man watching teenagers on the sidewalk, like he's pretty sure that they are hoodlums and up to no good (he might be right, magpies are jerks and the squirrels have potty mouths.)

Old 02-17-2021, 02:03 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
I am still haunted by the cat that I witnessed get hit by a car about a year and half ago. (I posted about it on this thread.) I often remark to my husband whenever I see cats roaming the neighbor-and in our yard (which there are a lot) how some people just don't seem to care for their cats. It just makes me angry.

Cat

Old 02-17-2021, 03:46 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Oh Sonic!!!

Old 02-18-2021, 11:38 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I'd be tempted to say that the cat had a leash, so the intent wasn't for it to run wild - except that my cat wears a collar that pulls open under pressure. It pulls open easily enough that I gave up on the idea of ever using it for a walk.

But I think the way most people think of and treat animals is frightening. I even dread every time I'm watching a movie and an animal shows up because I always think it's only there for something bad to happen to it. And what I hate more than anything is having these images in my head, whether it's movies or news headlines. I hate having to carry the burden of how inhumane humans can really be.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:01 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
How about some good news?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...vy-cat-rescue/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats