Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:02 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,669,610 times

Advertisements

For many of us here, vaccinating our beloved animals has become a dilemma. As I have said to others, it makes no difference to me if it is state law here or not to vaccinate, I will NOT vaccinate my animals any longer. I pray none of you who keep to the "law" will not suffer the way I have suffered, and learn too late that vaccinations are harming our animals. Below is a website, yes, lengthy, but extremely informative. It is based in the UK, yet it sites world organizations who are involved in the movement to decrease the annual vaccinations and even no vaccinations after the first initial one. I hope you find this website informative, and will help to answer some questions some of you have.

More Documentation Of Over-Vaccination Risks (http://www.twobitdog.com/DrFox/Over-Vaccination-Risk - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM

My husband just did a search regarding the mandation of rabies vaccination for felines, in the state we live, and what he found says yes, it is mandated. My source was wrong, and I will be speaking to that person about this. I apologize for leading anyone on here that it is not mandatory. There are clauses though, that do say, that if your pet is ill, your Vet can decide not to vaccinate. The Vets here who are refusing to vaccinate are probably doing just that very thing, and since all my animals are special needs with documented dis-eases, I am off the hook. If anyone else has the time to do any more research on this subject that says anything differently, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I'm glad that was cleared up. Mis-information is always a problem. The problem here is it is up to the vet to deem who is healthy enough and who is not, to be vaccinated. States do not take Rabies lightly and for good reason.
It is up to each individual to make that choice for their animals. For those who wish to board at any given time or even travel...and for my crew, it would be for hurricane evacuation purposes only, up to date vaccinations is a must.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,117 times
In recent years, WY has changed the law from mandatory annual vacs, to getting them every three years. Until I read about this just a short time ago, I had no idea how over kill the vacs were... I will still rabies vac my cat & dog (every three years), because rabies is very wide spead out here and we frequently have rabid skunks within the city limits. Thank you for posting this article. To clarify, are you giving your cats any vacs? Loki, who will be a year old in the summertime, is going in probably next month for his neuter/vacs. This is the first cat I have ever had on my own, so it's the first time I've ever handled taking a cat to the vet myself (I grew up with cats, but of course my parents were the ones to take them to the vet). I don't really know what all they give vacs for, as far as cats go... Loki has a semi-sketchy background, but I'm pretty sure he's never been vaccinated. Is there any vac I should flat out decline? Or would it be ok to get all the feline vacs this once & then just a rabies booster every three years?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM

In all the states we have lived in...Both Rabies and their Distemper combo is a 3 yr. vac., after the first yrs. vaccination. In other words, after the completion of kitten (or puppy) shots, the next yr..it goes to a 3 yr schedule. I believe, it actually depends on the vaccine used. My vet was nice enough to list our kitten's Jax kitten vac. as an adult vaccination. So, he will not have to recieve anything for the next 3 yrs. I also try to stagger the vacs.
Like mentioned, Rabies is the only state, in every state, requirement. Distemper and others if you ever care to board.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Over-vaccinating is very dangerous; the vets don't want to lose the extra income they generate by scaring unknowing pet owners into believing they are doing the best thing for their animals to vaccinate them yearly. The vaccines last much longer than a year, and to continue pumping these chemicals into our animals' bodies when there is already enough there to fend off the diseases in question is creating build-up of the most toxic variety. These chemicals weaken the immune system, making them more susceptible to much more serious conditions, like kidney and liver failure. Cats tend to be particularly susceptible to the negative side-effects of vaccines, and I have even seen cases where cats have died from severe allergic reactions to them. How many vets tell you about that when you bring your kitten in for its first set of shots?

I would also like to add that the people who are telling you it's best to vaccinate your animals every year are the same people telling you that Purina is a high-quality, nutritious diet...! Vets who are honest and pure-intentioned are fewer and further between, but they're out there...usually working in a holistic or holistic/traditional practice.

True, if you ever have to board or travel with your pets, you have no choice in the matter whatsoever...your hands are tied. These laws are too rigid, there are always special circumstances that need to be taken into consideration. This is something we need to bring to light so people can make informed decisions about how often to (or whether to, as in cases of immune systems that are already compromised due to other conditions) vaccinate their pets.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM

To address the questions re: which vaccinations>>>>stay away from the Leukemia vaccine. Vaccinate only with Rabies and Distemper once every three years, as the law states. There is now evidence that animals only need to be vaccinated once in their lifespan. If you have read the article I posted, I know this information has been included in it. IF your cat is going to be strictly indoors and you don't have to board that cat, my suggestion is not to vaccinate. If you go with vaccination just once, that's fine, too.

There are exceptions to the law. One, a feral cat does NOT have to be vaccinated at all. Another exception is a "society devoted to the care of lost, stray or homeless animals, and who are Inc.'ed." These animals do NOT have to be vaccinated either. I am all that but the Inc.'ed part, and my husband in working on all that at present. We both believe that because our cats are all ill, it is vitally important NOT to vaccinate any of them any longer. Vaccinations really do trigger disease processes and even lead to death. I don't mean to intentionally scare anyone here, yet these are facts.

Links to all I have said, are in the process of coming your way. I did not pull this information out of my head, no. It is very real, and for those of you here who need proof, as well as anyone including myself, I will post these links probably tomorrow, when my husband gives them to me. In the meantime, have a great night, and may you be blessed!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Sheridan, a few more very important facts to remember. Please, do not vaccinate Loki during the neutering, and if you are going to get him tested for FIV and Leukemia, wait for the tests results to come in, before you decide what to do. DO NOT vaccinate before this knowledge. The vet can draw his blood while under for the neutering, so your baby won't even know he is being stuck with a needle. I know this means two trips to the Vet, but you will have peace of mind, which is all the gold in the world combined! I wish you the best. As always, read the advice here, but when it comes down to action, don't listen to anyone except to your intuition, and then act according to that.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:43 AM

One can dissect the law all day long. In the end, it will be ultimately be the vet who makes the decision who is feral, who is too ill, who is "homeless" , etc. If one chooses break the law, and do what they feel is right for the animal, than that is their choice.
And yes, I'm sorry...but "proof" is essential. Had I not questioned your statement that is was absolutely NOT necessary not vaccinate against Rabies in every state, people would still be under that assumption your statement were true. You told me "to dig deep" and the info was there. And that you had info, I did not. In this case, it was not true. Obviously, when one makes a statement, proof is needed.
Please, know, I'm not questioning your views on vaccinations...I see some of your points as being valid. I, for one, just need to see the proof behind your statements.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
In recent years, WY has changed the law from mandatory annual vacs, to getting them every three years. Until I read about this just a short time ago, I had no idea how over kill the vacs were... I will still rabies vac my cat & dog (every three years), because rabies is very wide spead out here and we frequently have rabid skunks within the city limits. Thank you for posting this article. To clarify, are you giving your cats any vacs? Loki, who will be a year old in the summertime, is going in probably next month for his neuter/vacs. This is the first cat I have ever had on my own, so it's the first time I've ever handled taking a cat to the vet myself (I grew up with cats, but of course my parents were the ones to take them to the vet). I don't really know what all they give vacs for, as far as cats go... Loki has a semi-sketchy background, but I'm pretty sure he's never been vaccinated. Is there any vac I should flat out decline? Or would it be ok to get all the feline vacs this once & then just a rabies booster every three years?
Sheridan: It will have to be your decision as to what to vaccinate against, according to your cats enviornment. Do your homework!
As for feline leuk....ask any of the millions of cat owners who lost their cats to feline leuk, if they would have vaccinated against, if they had the chance again. Me, included!
Feline Vaccines: Benefits and Risks

Feline Leukemia Vaccine Recommendations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats