Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times

Advertisements

Well, she hasn't been on any AMC shows - yet (The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
What gets me is Oprah's giving away cars schtick...she just "gave away" another one to a random person in the audience on a talk show recently.

Some people (maybe many people) think it's "generous" Oprah giving away these cars,
when in fact it's the car manufacturer donating/providing them for the potential publicity it brings.

Super rich Oprah is not spending one dime of her own money....but the perception is....
Well, she should also give the car away free and clear. I remember many of those to whom she gave cars had to sell them because they did not have enough money to pay the taxes on the gift. Also, in some neighborhoods a brand new shiny car is a magnet for undesirables.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
You are correct.

and here is the proof
No thanks, Oprah, you can keep the car - NYPOST.com
Goodness, how awful our tax system is!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
She has been showing up a lot lately. She has some kind of workshop going on with Deepak Chopra right now and I had originally signed up for daily emails about that. But after the first few days I heard her views about Trayvon Martin, which I disagree with, and I unsubscribed. Then there was the thing about her calling the shop in Australia or wherever it was racist. And now she has that stupid movie that rewrites history and then I heard a clip of someone asking if that really happened and Oprah saying YES, it really did. Give me a break. Oprah of all people should be telling young black people that there is OPPORTUNITY for them and that they, like she, can rise from poverty and make something of themselves. Instead of acknowledging all that she has been able to have and become, she has become a race baiter. I'm done with her. That makes me sad because I remember back in 1986 or so when no one had heard of her and her show just started, I LOVED her. But she has changed.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:19 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
You loved her until you found out she doesn't have the same views as you basically. LOL.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
You loved her until you found out she doesn't have the same views as you basically. LOL.
No. I loved her when she was a balanced person with balanced views. Now she has turned into a race baiter and a liar, sowing seeds of discord.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
She has been showing up a lot lately. She has some kind of workshop going on with Deepak Chopra right now and I had originally signed up for daily emails about that. But after the first few days I heard her views about Trayvon Martin, which I disagree with, and I unsubscribed. Then there was the thing about her calling the shop in Australia or wherever it was racist. And now she has that stupid movie that rewrites history and then I heard a clip of someone asking if that really happened and Oprah saying YES, it really did. Give me a break. Oprah of all people should be telling young black people that there is OPPORTUNITY for them and that they, like she, can rise from poverty and make something of themselves. Instead of acknowledging all that she has been able to have and become, she has become a race baiter. I'm done with her. That makes me sad because I remember back in 1986 or so when no one had heard of her and her show just started, I LOVED her. But she has changed.
Yes. I used to think she was all full of hope and a positive philosophy. I watched her all the time, but for the last year when she said she was ending the program.

I'm beginning to think you are right, that she's mainly concerned with one segment of the population. I hope not. I wish she'd come back to a regular hour show again. I guess she does whatever it takes to line her coffers - just like everyone else. I thought she was above that, though.

Well, I have not watched her much lately, so maybe I should just shut up.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, she should also give the car away free and clear. I remember many of those to whom she gave cars had to sell them because they did not have enough money to pay the taxes on the gift.
It's unfortunate for those who didn't have the resources to pay the tax on their winnings, but they still got to keep the cash from the cars they sold.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
She has been on shows lately promoting the new movie she's in. It is common knowledge the manufacturers gave those cars away. I think all those who were given a car either kept it or sold it because they wanted to. Not because they couldn't pay the taxes. The people in her audience are not paupers. For some reason it is so irksome to some people that Oprah is one of the richest women in the world. She did it because she has brains and uses them, which can't be said for many people. Most of you are talking about something you know little about.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
She has been on shows lately promoting the new movie she's in. It is common knowledge the manufacturers gave those cars away. I think all those who were given a car either kept it or sold it because they wanted to. Not because they couldn't pay the taxes. The people in her audience are not paupers. For some reason it is so irksome to some people that Oprah is one of the richest women in the world. She did it because she has brains and uses them, which can't be said for many people. Most of you are talking about something you know little about.
Of course the manufacturers gave the cars away, but what other show of that sort put that kind of deal together? Not Dr.Phil, not The View.

The car show that I watched had an audience full of teachers. Maybe they were not paupers, but some were certainly from depressed areas. It was even publicized at the time that they just could not afford the taxes.

I loved that old Oprah show. I miss it.

Well, I'll certainly be viewing that film The Butler. It has a good cast and it sounds like a wonderful story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities