Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times

Advertisements

People are missing the point - it isn't whether they recognized her as a celebrity. It is the fact that the salesclerk decided for a customer based on their looks alone whether they could afford an item they were selling. That is proof positive that she was racially profiled. I doubt Oprah was tooling around Switzerland to attend Tina Turner's wedding dressed like a scallywag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 AM

36 posts, read 31,627 times
if Oprah looked like Paula Patton or Beyoncé do you think this still would have happened?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You must be thinking of the Hermes incident in which Oprah and her posse were indignant about not being let in the store after hours. Of course, "not wanting to make a big deal about it," Oprah ran straight to CNN as in her most recent case. Another omnipresent comment in her "they're racists" attacks is that they didn't (gasp!) recognize her, along with reminding us (as if we need to be reminded) that she could buy the store if she wanted to.

Despite her money, she's stuck on racism and has yet another sure-to-be-nominated film in the works about...you guessed it....another black victim of racism. Moreover, she's made a number of comments in the past about how she can now lord it over whites and has sniffed that "now they work for me." Oprah has her feet firmly planted in the Jamie Foxx brand of victimhood.

Just who is the racist?

Oprah, despite all her money and fame, will forever be a victim. She doesn't know how to be anything else. No matter WHAT happens, she turns it around that she is a victim of racism.

Remember when she and her friend, Gayle King, were on their cross-country road trip that they were filming? Well, they had some kind of camera gear bolted on top of their car with a tripod and everything else. It actually looked like a military machine gun was propped up on the car. Anyway, when the cops stopped them and made everyone get out of the car, Oprah (of course) immediately said it was becuase they were black (nevermind that most of her film crew is white).

This incident was completely HER fault. First of all, if you're going to be going through a town filming for any show, you're supposed to make the town officials aware of what you're doing. In this day and age, you don't drive around with some crazy-looking apparatus on top of your car and not expect the cops to stop you and find out exactly what's going on.

Of course, Oprah took to the airwaves complaining that the whole incident was racist and they were ONLY stopped because they were black. Victim, victim, victim.

Oprah is about as racist as they come. Again, a person like her doesn't know how to be anything else.

It's a real shame because with all her money, fame, and power, she could do so much good for the world.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafire View Post
if Oprah looked like Paula Patton or Beyoncé do you think this still would have happened?

I don't know who Paula Patton is but Beyonce is known world-wide so of course it wouldn't have happened.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 AM

[quote=DontH8Me;30910723]People are missing the point - it isn't whether they recognized her as a celebrity. It is the fact that the salesclerk decided for a customer based on their looks alone whether they could afford an item they were selling. That is proof positive that she was racially profiled. I doubt Oprah was tooling around Switzerland to attend Tina Turner's wedding dressed like a scallywag.[/quote]

Happens all the time ---- to Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asians, etc etc etc. EVERYONE is judged on how they look.

The same kind of thing happened to me and a friend of mine when we were teenagers and both of us are White. We went into a boutique clothing shop and were looking around and trying to decide what to buy. The saleswoman asked if she could help us (very snobby). We said no and we're just looking and trying to decide. She then got all huffy and said "I really don't think we have anything here for you girls. This store isn't for you". We asked if it was a maternity store? She said "no, but it's VERY expensive and you just can't afford it". My friend and I looked at one another and just busted out laughing. We both had more than enough money to buy darn near everything in the store! We just continued laughing and left. Ridiculous.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,147 times
Exclamation who knows...

Who knows what the real story is? If Oprah went into that store lookin' all 'undone' I would question her as well. Not everyone knows who she is...or cares. With all the aside...the fact that she was even looking at a handbag that costs $83,000.00 is obscene, I don't care who she is.
Koale

Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Who knows what the real story is? If Oprah went into that store lookin' all 'undone' I would question her as well. Not everyone knows who she is...or cares. With all the aside...the fact that she was even looking at a handbag that costs $83,000.00 is obscene, I don't care who she is.
Koale
And she looks ROUGH when she is not done up w/makeup, weaves, wigs, etc. VERY rough. Ouch.

The thing is, Oprah is changing her story as she's going along and it gets better all the time. First, it was the salesgirl said the bag is very expensive and to perhaps look at some other, less expensive items. Then, it was she wouldn't show her the bag because she's black. Ridiculous.

You know, if I owned a store and had a $38K Tom Ford handbag for sale, I wouldn't want people pawing all over it, either, unless I knew for a fact they could afford to purchase it. The oils and dirt on your hands can slowly destroy an item (regardless of its cost) and to have everyone come in and put their mitts on something that expensive is a huge no-no. Even at Louis Vuitton, they keep certain items locked in showcases behind the counter so people aren't picking them up, touching them, etc,

Oprah needs to just calm down.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM

199 posts, read 241,741 times
Quote:
Koale
You got that backwards...$38,000. And it is a bit much but when you're rich, it doesn't matter. If they want it, they will buy it.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Koale
love it Koale.. it is obscene... my take on this is that the handbag was maybe in a glass case or shelf with protection and maybe the salegirl had been told not to allow them at that price tag to be handled.. who knows but the racist tag wasnt on that handbag...

Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
People are missing the point - it isn't whether they recognized her as a celebrity. It is the fact that the salesclerk decided for a customer based on their looks alone whether they could afford an item they were selling. That is proof positive that she was racially profiled. I doubt Oprah was tooling around Switzerland to attend Tina Turner's wedding dressed like a scallywag.
I have no doubt she was profiled, However I doubt it was RACIALLY PROFILED. Id bet it was 'wealth profiled'
How many people do you think come in there with enough money and inclination to buy something equal to many people's yearly incomes?

1%?

Was I racially profiled when I went to went an apartment in my ratty old jeep? (I'm white BTW) and they 'talked down to me'

No. It was their suspicions of my income.

When I came back to drop off the paperwork on my BMW motorcycle I about laughed out loud at the change in their attitude!

And as has been said, SHE is the one who is screaming for attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities