Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:32 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
Actually they were only two years apart, and Moore was older. Moore was born in 1927, and Connery in 1929.
Hey Randy....I agree ....I personally think that Sean Connery was born in 1929.

However 99% of sources indicate his birthdate as august 25, 1930.

What source did you find that indicates 1929?

Back those days a lot of actors and actresses would fudge their birthdate.

Especially be weary of 1930....1940....1950....1960....1970 birth years.

Like Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey bumping up their birth year to 1970
early in their career....sounding much "younger" than 1969

Or like Chuck Norris and Al Pacino stating 1940 instead of actual 1939.
Being born in the 1930s sounding too old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 05:59 PM

177 posts, read 431,487 times
All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you Mr. Moore for your great performance in one of me most favorite movies in general--For Your Eyes Only (James Bond)!

Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,482 times
RIP Sir Roger Moore. The first Bond I ever knew.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 PM

747 posts, read 443,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Hey Randy....I agree ....I personally think that Sean Connery was born in 1929.

However 99% of sources indicate his birthdate as august 25, 1930.

What source did you find that indicates 1929?

Back those days a lot of actors and actresses would fudge their birthdate.

Especially be weary of 1930....1940....1950....1960....1970 birth years.
I've heard the 1930 birth date too. 1929 comes from the James Bond encyclopedia, 1993 edition for what it's worth. That's the one I have so that's the one I tend to use most.

And what is so wrong with 1970 as a birth year?? It just so happens that I was born in 1970.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:25 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
"No matter who was your favorite Bond, Roger Moore was the person who had the most fun playing Bond."
Why director Edgar Wright loved the 'wink and twinkle' of Roger Moore's James Bond best - LA Times

Old 05-27-2017, 03:42 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Roger Moore was a humorous James Bond, and that's what I liked most about him.
Yes his fight scenes were bloody hilarious as well!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:37 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,818,958 times
I think Moore played Bond like he did Simon Templar.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 AM

3,076 posts, read 1,683,929 times
I think he was the best-looking Bond, myself. I know that many people prefer Connery, and it IS a tough toss-up between the two. But I guess Moore was more my type.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I grew up on Roger Moore, he was my favorite bond. Some may not like the later seasons of Maverick, but I thought he did just fine in that series. I like the well polished "British Gentleman" image he presented, he could kill you and be polite about it, no chop chop Sean Connery rough edge stuff, Roger was smoother than that. Yes they did inject a little more humor into his movies than other Bond films, but Nic Nac and Jaws totally worked for me.

I liked The Spy Who Loved Me, and Moonraker, but I think my favorite was For Your Eyes Only, I liked the ski scenes, car chase scene where he had to outrun them in that little econobox car, The brunette girl was a great leading lady in that one, playing the Greek woman determined to get revenge with the help of Bond. The scene at the end where they climb the ropes up the mountain to take the monastery, that was awesome. I like the movies centered around the cold war conflict with the Russians, as opposed to Spectre or some other fictional random villain, many of those villains were good, but I thought the one in The Man With The Golden Gun was a bit weak and annoying.

I don't care for the newest bond that much, Craig Daniels, he looks too much like a Russian, and the relationship between him and the boss lady "M" does not seem right where they are at constant odds with each other. Pierce Brosnan was a pretty good Bond, Timothy Dalton was not, lol.

RIP Roger Moore, he's on a cannonball run to a better place now.
Well said.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,761 times
I'm glad Roger Moore came along when he did in the Bond series. I really liked Connery in Diamonds Are Forever, they say he rushed thru the filming of that one and it was not his best, but it might be my favorite with Connery, especially the scene where he gets shoved into the casket and they are about to cremate him.

I think appreciation for Roger Moore has increased over the years, back in the 80's Bond fans seem to heavily prefer Connery over Moore and I never really got that, thinking Connery was a less sophisticated Bond and more predictable. Perhaps they pushed the humor factor a bit much in Moore's his first film, Live and Let Die, it was a bit over the top and not quite so PC with all that Voodoo stuff and the Louisiana sheriff that tagged along thru the film. The second one, Golden Gun, was a little better but the funhouse mirror scene towards the end was bit annoying. All the rest of his films were top notch, but for his last film where I think he was getting a little past his prime and the villains were not as good in A View To A Kill. I really want to see Octopussy again, it's the only one I do not have in my collection and it is often skipped over in the Bond Marathons. It was a good film featuring the Russians/cold war, but it's been so long since I've seen it, can't remember the details. I want it !!!

I always thought Jack Lord would have made a great 007, he was so good in Hawaii Five-O and had a part in one of the early Bond Pictures, was it Goldfinger? I guess it worked out for the best because Five-O ran from '68 to '80 and that never would have happened without Jack Lord's professionalism behind the camera and in front of the camera as Steve McGarrett. Wished they could have tossed him at least one Bond film to see what he could do with it, would have been awesome for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities