Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 08:54 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,782,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Baby pageants are child abuse plain and simple.. I watched and American documentary about these children and not one was happy.. they hates all the hair tugging and teasing. and they were having harmful spray tans done too. as well of course as makeup and hair and nail extensions.. these mothers should be horsewhipped.. they really should.. One wee girl even had false teeth.. for these crazy contests.. it should all be stopped..
I recall one contestant for the talent portion did a burlesque strip tease! Really? It would be tacky for an adult but a child to do it? Perhaps some think "aw...it's cute". No, it isn't. I'm convinced only stage mothers and pedophiles watch those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 11:34 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,548,458 times
The Washington Post just published a story on "high functioning depression" as it relates to Cheslie Kryst's unfortunate death.

Quote:
“High-functioning depression” is not a clinical diagnosis found in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), a handbook used by health-care professionals. It’s a colloquial term that has grown in popularity in recent years, although some experts have mixed feelings about its use.

The phrase highlights “a really important point that people can be suffering with mental illness and still appear outwardly to be able to function or not appear mentally ill to an outside observer,” said Rebecca Brendel, president-elect of the American Psychiatric Association.
A lot of people try to "push through" their depression. They hunker down and try to "be tough" instead of just getting the help they need. There is no shame in going to a psychiatrist or psychologist. Perhaps if more people sought help, there's be less suicides.

Quote:
“It can be a teacher, it can be a person who works at a day-care center, it can be a fast-food worker,” she said. “Everyone from all walks of life can experience major depression, and everyone from all walks of life can look like or present like a person with high-functioning depression.”
Quote:
“Depression is depression,” she said. “Just because some people have personality traits that make them more able to function shouldn’t make them less likely to be taken seriously, and I’m afraid that’s what can happen if we start to really see this term ‘high-functioning depression’ used even more.”
What does ‘high-functioning depression’ mean? We asked experts.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:38 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,797,913 times
I have MCS... an environmental illness ..Im not a depressed person but when affected by chemicals...I do suffer from symptoms of depression and really think how we live now with pollution and daily things we use around the house can also lead to a form of depression.. In general, depression is caused by an imbalance in brain chemistry. Important neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin may not be produced in enough abundance in the human brain. https://pulsetms.com/depression-issu...d-environment/ so many reasons that we might not think can cause this... I can go from feeling great..with good humour happy and content to having a big grey cloud over my head as when Ive been near anything that causes my body to fight itself.... Only other MCS sufferers will know what I mean...

Old 02-23-2022, 12:25 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,540,117 times
It’s hard to read and process information (comments, trolls, negativity) directed towards oneself. I believe most people cannot cope with being insulted, talked about, and being made to hurt and to cry.

Maybe we need to tell our children how much of a blessing they are and how precious and unique they are to build up self esteem and confidence within oneself. When I was younger, we did not have social media.My adolescent years did not involve any time in reading and living with negative comments and trolling.

People take awhile to open up By the time they have been affected by bullying and other negative connotations, it’s too late. The damage is done and depression has reared its ugly head.

I don’t know if we can prevent all suicide attempts. Collectively, I hope we do a better job.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,593,341 times
I think she must have been very hurt by the many posters she mentioned (not on CD) who criticized, mocked, and ridiculed her physique and saying her body was not attractive, was manly, and some even saying the social media favorite posting of ridiculing and saying she is really a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities