Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,083,753 times

Advertisements

maciesmom, never said I agreed with what he did, the details are still not very clear. Just saying he has had a really messed up and tragic life. It is interesting because the victim has said that she doesn't want him to go to jail. She sued him in civil court and got paid/settled out of court so I also think something seems odd with the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,039,329 times
The man's a child-raping freak who bolted because he's a ***** and a coward. I don't care how brilliant Chinatown is or how talented he is. The wheels of justice were turning and he does not have the right to circumvent them. European reaction is predictable. Hollywood's reaction has been muted because child rape is not seen as an extracurricular activity in this country. My guess, though, is that most of the pigs in Hollywood would like to see him freed but are too afraid to say anything.

Oh yes, and the only ones disregarding this are the ones who don't care about law.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 PM

Don't know how people can really defend his actions since he admitted to the encounter. But again, I just wonder what really happened it doesn't seem very cut and dry. Why would the girl's mother leave her child with this guy? A lot of these underage models and actresses are having sex with these old guys and meet them at industry parties and their parents are no where in sight. I just don't get it.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,896,045 times
The problem is that there is no extradition treaty between the US and France (why? I find it baffling) so a few years ago a fugitive murderer from Philadelphia nicknamed The Unicorn, who had murdered his girlfriend and stuffed her body in a suitcase, was able to marry and live happily there during a few years , before being extradited to the US on the condition that he wouldn't be inflicted the death penalty.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,529,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
All we hear is that Polanski "drugged and raped a 13 year old girl." intimately what happend, are Polanski and the girl. Some would say the girl was a tart wYeah, that sounds pretty bad when you put it like that. But the only people who know ho could have passed for 18, and wanted some action at the time. After all, it was the swinging 70's. In that context, it seems different.
Quote:

To Roman's credit, he is highly lauded by nearly everyone in the international film community, as well as the French president apparently. And he has been a father to at least two children for years. One fling with a minor - who may, or may not have been willing, doesn't make him a pervert. The "victim" herself is married with three kids, and wants the story, and the case to go away. But it doesn't go away. Something is wrong there.
There are official transcripts that provide details--given under oath.

'One fling with a minor'--

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-29-2009 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,470,317 times
The former 13 year old, who is now 45, says the matter should have gone away 30 years ago. Is it fair to her to be tormented by media for decades? She sued him already 30 years ago and reached a settlement.

Victim: Courts did more harm than Polanski - CNN.com

Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,804,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
The former 13 year old, who is now 45, says the matter should have gone away 30 years ago. Is it fair to her to be tormented by media for decades? She sued him already 30 years ago and reached a settlement.

Victim: Courts did more harm than Polanski - CNN.com
Too bad she was too young to tell her mom that she didn't want to go somewhere alone with Polanski.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 AM

pigeonhole, what is up with France? I don't get it? Was Polanski ever a US citizen? I think I know the case you are referring to.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM

10,041 posts, read 9,543,227 times
I'll repeat it one more time for all you who seem not to get it. The victim certainly has the right to give her opinion on the severity of the sentence, but has no bearing on the extradition and possible incarceration. He is a convicted sex offender who skipped.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM

10,041 posts, read 9,543,227 times
Quote:
First of all, every situation is unique, and throwing an all blanketing law at something, is not anymore "right" than no protection at all. It's easy to make something out to be the most vial thing, or the best thing, through words. Lawyers, and advertising agencies are in the business of doing so. All we hear is that Polanski "drugged and raped a 13 year old girl." Yeah, that sounds pretty bad when you put it like that. But the only people who know intimately what happend, are Polanski and the girl. Some would say the girl was a tart who could have passed for 18, and wanted some action at the time. After all, it was the swinging 70's. In that context, it seems different.
To Roman's credit, he is highly lauded by nearly everyone in the international film community, as well as the French president apparently. And he has been a father to at least two children for years. One fling with a minor - who may, or may not have been willing, doesn't make him a pervert. The "victim" herself is married with three kids, and wants the story, and the case to go away. But it doesn't go away. Something is wrong there.
Of course it sounds bad but that's what he admitted to doing. It won't go away because he was convicted and skipped, had he served his time it would have been over by now. He is the only one who is keeping going for so long.

Last edited by VLWH; 09-29-2009 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities